fifteen or less challenge second year!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Junglist

May 30, 2011
Kent
Hi, just a little question, what happens when there's 3 of us going?
Are we to stick to our own items? I mean we won't build a fire each so do we need to take 3 firesticks if we're only likely to use one of them once?
If we need to take one each as we're all using the fire that's fair enough, just wanted to clarify the rules on sharing items as we've not done this before, great idea though!

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Nice report capt.Dunc, looks like a good trip, lots of ingenuity there!

Were there any of your 15 you didn't use?

Hi, just a little question, what happens when there's 3 of us going?
Are we to stick to our own items? I mean we won't build a fire each so do we need to take 3 firesticks if we're only likely to use one of them once?
If we need to take one each as we're all using the fire that's fair enough, just wanted to clarify the rules on sharing items as we've not done this before, great idea though!

i reckon that if you are sharing the fire only one has to carry a sparkstick but if you use one tarp between the three of you it is counted in each of your individual 15 or less items

capt.dunc

Forager
Oct 11, 2011
dundee
for copper_head, i used all 15, and a plaster from the fak for omar. could of gone with less, the swiss army knife has a short saw blade which is pretty good and i could of cut and folded the cans by hand, but i decided that the risk of cutting myself while doing it with cold fingers wasn't worth it, besides the pliers could double as a pan handle and i just fancied seeing what i could knock up. i could also of left the spade but then we wouldn't of been able to dig over the area that we cleared. going without a torch wasn't as great a problem as i thought, but it was nearly a full moon.

for junglist, you could always do what omar and i did and carry a firesteel each, we each collected our own tinder and kindling then had a competition to light neighbouring fires. once we got them going, finger or thumb thick sticks then we merged them to form one working fire. that way we'd both proved that we could light a fire in the given conditions, and it's interesting because you can see how others approach the same problem.

we may do another with different kit before the comp ends.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Copied over from the Rough Close Meet ~ January 2012 thread.

Done at the RC January 2012 Meet. Meet's are, generally, a time and place for a bit of comfort and luxury. Restricting the kit you take is about making you think about what you need without enforcing a regimen of mad austerity ;) .

After taking pics of my set up and kit, I put the camera away and promptly forgot to take any more over the weekend :eek: .

Home for the weekend ~ pup tent used as a tarp. The small rectangular bag at the front of the shelter is the IPK's storage bag ~ it was utilised as a make shift kneeling pad.

Whilst setting up, my pack had its first real life water proof check :D . Dry bags and stuff sacks are stored in the pack. The FAC, gloves and hat are on the standard clothing and safety 'free' items.

Saw and Clipper knife on my sleeping bag. I had originally planned on taking my opinel saw but, in the end, opted for a full scale Silky 'just in case' ~ opi would have sufficed :eek: :) .

Food ~ I had based my plans around cooking predominently on the fire-box* and the Norgie was there to make sure that things didn't freeze over night ;) . Stove was there for fast hot drinks :D . IPK ground sheet. The cooking pot has the advantage of having a lid that can double up as a cup. Also just visible is my kip mat.

* The ground is pretty much all leaf mold and, as such, ground fires need to be avoided. As all fires need to be raised and contanined, the fire-box is considered a safety freebie.

My Not-So-Purple UCO with spare tea lights in the metal case below it. Spatula served in place of a spoon. Dry food is stored in a lock and lock food storage box or leather clad zip lock bags.

Poncho (safety freebie) was definitely useful/needed for a couple of hours on Friday :rofl: .

The weekend's water was carried in. Chair is a great asset at a Meet :approve: and some level of insulation is a great boon at this time of year :lmao: .

Fire-irons were used to support the cooking pot. The irons break down into two shorter lengths. Not pictured is my lighter.

The fire-box is a French army surplus first aid box ~ out of pic is the lid. Box has been modified to make the lid removable. For ease and speed, the split logs were 'borrowed from the communal area's log pile.

The fifteen items were:
  1. Pack,
  2. Pup tent,
  3. IPK ground sheet,
  4. Roll mat,
  5. Sleeping bag,
  6. Chair,
  7. UCO Micro,
  8. Saw,
  9. Knife,
  10. Stove,
  11. Cooking pot,
  12. Fire Irons,
  13. Spatula,
  14. Food,
  15. Lighter (not pictured).

Freebie/safety items:

• Clothing suitable for the conditions,
  • FAK,
  • Camera,
  • The taps are normally switched off and drained at this time of year, so I'd brought the weekends water in with me,
  • Phone,
  • Fire-box.
Unused item(s):

• First Aid Kit.
Items I could have done without:

• Had I not needed to raise and contain the fire (the ground is leaf mulch) I wouldn't have required the saw.
  • The UCO lantern is a nice thing to have supply light in the night ~ but is in no way an essential if you get yourself sorted before dusk descends into darkness.
  • The spatula lives in the 'lock n lock' dry food box and although I could have fashioned one quite easily I chose the path of least resistance :eek: ;) .
  • The Primus stove was there for the convenience of fast brews ~ I could have taken a bit more time and done all brew ups on the fire-fox.
  • Chair ~ although a log or the floor will suffice as an alternative, I am not enamoured of suffering a numb bum!

Thanks for looking.

So, who's next?

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
My tongue in cheek entry, from Karl82's Birthday Bash:

:lmao:

mysetup5.jpg

The fifteen items were:

1. Berghaus Cyclops II Vulcan Bergen
  2. Lavvu
  3. Ground Sheet
  4. Reindeer Skin
  5. Army Artic Sleeping Bag
  6. Army Folding Chair
  7. UCO Micro Candle
  8. Saw
  9. Knife
  10. Lavvu Stove
  11. Eagle Kettle
  12. Folding Mug
  13. Spoon
  14. Food
  15. Lighter

Did you forget to count the folding camp bed Martin :rolleyes::D

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Nah, best to stick to the rules... I've withdrawn my entry.

I was allowed 16 last year ~ I reckon yours should be in on pure tongue in cheek style :approve: .

I take it that you didn't actually set out to take part in the challenge? And you came in at sixteen ~ definitely needs inclusion.

leaf man

Nomad
Feb 2, 2010
Blacker Hill
some crackers here with ideas like the babybell candle something i would never have thought about. if the walesby meet goes ahead im gonna have a crack at this. the date just rolls into april the 1st, so will my entry count?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE