fifteen or less challenge second year!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
following on from last years success(of dubious virtue the winner i realise now) i would like to propose the same challenge once more
for those of you who don't know what i am talking about please look at this thread
rules/ suggestions remain the same

1) First Aid Kit and mobile phone are free bleeding out or being desperately in need of rescue isnt good and to do so for bragging rights and a prize is silly.

1a) camera is a freebie to prove you did it, if water is not available at your chosen location this is also a freebie, so is a firebox if open fires aren't permitted

2) As for clothing imagine what you would wear on a cold day going on a 1-2 hour walk so hat gloves good base mid and waterproof layers pants and boots/socks anything over and above is included in the 15

3) The best 5 entrants will be picked by Myself and then put up in a poll, the winner will get the prize.

4) Entrants would be picked on the basis of most done with least kit, ingenuity and sense of adventure.

5) The time limit will be until march the 31st to allow everyone time to get out and give it a go

6) Once the entrants have been picked the vote will go on for a week

7) Proof WE need a picture of all kit laid out and a write up of the load out. extra pictures of items in use will earn extra points

8) If you carry the kit for a walk first that gains extra points

9) Entrants need to stay out for 2 nights at least longer trips with minimal kit could gain extra points

10) Anyone using natural shelters and generally sourcing materials i.e cordage etc would get more points

11) If you're a smoker you are allowed smokes and so on for free if you use lighter for stove firelighting it becomes one of the fifteen

12) Food is considered one item

13)multiple entries are permitted

14) Have Fun!

15) stay safe i don't want to feel you put yourself at risk because of a silly game/contest on a website.

i have deliberately given it a while longer time wise this time to allow us to get permission from those in charge be it swmbo or hwmblt or work etc. i also realise that christmas is not the best time to try and beg time away from home to get to the woods.

please post interest in this thread and also your trip photo's and write ups in here too
this will make it easier for myself to find it all when it is decision time.

hopefully you will all embrace this as the bit of a laugh it is intended to be

looking forward to seeing submissions

Sam

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
I should give this a go this year as I usually use my PLCE bergen, so could be a real challenge,

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
following on from last years success (of dubious virtue the winner i realise now)

Do not get this

Last years winner has since been banned from the forum.
EDIT: And it turns out that he was you in a different guise.

Is rucksack free?

It isn't listed as a freebie, so no. Personally, I think a rucksack can be pressed to too many extra duties for it to be considered a free item; last years competition saw me press mine into part of my sleep system ;)

Mind you, with smokers getting an extra 'free luxury' it would be nice for those of us not (or no longer) afflicted by the dreaded weed to be able to pack a 'not going to affect the competition' luxury too ~ nicotine addicts can have free smokes, how about freebie caffine* for the rest of us?

* Or just a favourite non alcohol drink.

Last edited:

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
well up for this again, just need to get the time to do it, my wife has started working weekends which is an issue to me but i am sure i can work something out.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
ahhhhhh, mate, im working and for some time too...:(

things get bonkers in Jan with afghan training so even less time for bushey knifey stuff...:(:(:(:(:cussing:

best of luck to all though..;)

one free non challenge affecting luxury seems fair to me
Mind you, with smokers getting an extra 'free luxury' it would be nice for those of us not (or no longer) afflicted by the dreaded weed to be able to pack a 'not going to affect the competition' luxury too ~ nicotine addicts can have free smokes, how about freebie caffine* for the rest of us?

* Or just a favourite non alcohol drink.

capt.dunc

Forager
Oct 11, 2011
dundee
i'm sorry i missed the 5 or less summer challenge, i joined the forum as it was ending. however i'm looking forward to this, my list of kit is almost done and i've got a couple of nights marked on the calender for the start of the new year.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Ok so it's fair to say i'm pretty excited about this :)!

So, been making a bit of a kit list and just wondered if I could have a check that im complying with the rules?

Free stuff
FAK, Phone, camera, cloths as per rules.

1) Food and water, in containers
2) Rucksack
3) Czech army bed roll (needs a test out anyway)
4) Tarp or poncho if i feel brave and ditch my waterproof jacket.
5) Roll matt for bed roll.
6) Knife
7) Ferro rod
8) Folding Saw
9) Billy can
10) Honey stove + Heximine (is that allowed?)
11) Head torch
12) Spork
13) Wash kit (tissue, soap, toothbrush, paste)
14) Map and compass as im walking too (is that allowed as one item?)
15) Most importantly Brew Kit!!

Going 1st week of Feb unless torrential rain.

Any feedback appreciated :)

Last edited:

capt.dunc

Forager
Oct 11, 2011
dundee
the kit
woods018.jpg

fak, rucksack, sleeping bag, tent, 50m of string in 2 balls, fire steel, swiss army knife, pliers, tin snips, saw, thermos (half litre), wash kit (50ml liquid soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, half dozen sheets of toilet paper (in case there's no big leaves about)), spare socks and a spade. photographed on a wool blanket with my camera. food; tinned mince, tinned potatoes, tinned soup, tinned butterbeans, steak, polish sausages, mini babybell cheeses, two types of bannock mix, tomatoes, mushrooms, bananas, hazelnuts, coffee beans, sugar, lard and an egg. 2 items not counted, a torch in the first aid kit, a note book and pen to write stuff down for reporting back.

i was going with a friend, omar, who was trying to stick within his own 15 items, we had no sharing except from some water. i'd made my list back in december with a view to going regardless of the weather, hence the tent, and the aim was to make stuff as needed and finish the trip with more kit than at the start, we'd also thought of trying to make some rough and ready snowshoes which is why we took so much string.
woods021.jpg

no last minute changes to the kit since the met office had issued a weather warning for our location, total weight 22kg.
as always we had a firelighting challenge.
woods022.jpg

me making tinder from my string
woods025.jpg

victory is mine
woods019.jpg

a photo of the runner up
woods029.jpg

the egg bound in moss for cooking, it'd survived the journey in and i wasn't about to risk taking it further.
spent some time gathering wood, and tinder for day 2, set up tents and before the light went made a candle from cheese wax and string. at this point it started raining and omar discovered that his new flask had leaked. there was no water next to our site so i gave him a cup full to save him fetching and boiling some in the rain.
woods038.jpg

a can of soup with a spoon made from the lid, this was a bit of cutting to size, folding round a stone and sanding the edges. a can handle made of tied together birch twigs.
woods083.jpg

sausage, mushroom and tomato kebabs for tea followed by a roast banana, then bed.
woods073.jpg

woods027.jpg

a cold wet night with gale force winds at 8am.
about an inch of water and mud everywhere in the morning, so a cold breakfast then pack up. it'd always been our intention to move between nights and we'd spent sometime discussing which way round to do both. site one had little water, but site two had loads. site one had lots of dry kindling, and site two little. by the time we got to our second site it was a priority to get a fire going to boil water for drinking, and in omar's case get his tent up to dry out a bit. the rain had stopped but everything was wet , the temperature dropped and the wind decided to swap direction every 30 seconds. cue the longest firelighting challenge ever. i won again, but didn't bother with a victory dance, i just wanted the water onto boil, it was now about 3 pm and it'd been too long on too little water, damn my generosity the day before. after that it was easy.
woods028.jpg

collecting sand with my spade and top fly
woods050.jpg

cord plaited from string, used to drag wood back to camp
woods051.jpg

tin of spuds with a billy handle cut from the top of the candle holding tin lamp, lid left part attached.
woods056.jpg

steak for tea, too dark to bother making metal tines for the fork.
woods061.jpg

crushing coffee beans on a rock with the knife handle.
woods063.jpg

setting the nuts to roast in a bed of sand, collected earlier.
woods078.jpg

lighting the candle to go to the loo (the fag end in the ash is omar's)
woods085.jpg

view from bed at camp two.

all in all a good couple of nights. we finished with more kit than we started with, and we'd cleaned and dried our first socks for day 3, we still had enough food and water to stay another day, but had to get back for work etc. never got our snowshoes made but spent some time clearing up an area where idiots had been drinking and burning pallets in the woods instead. stopped in dunkeld for tea and scones before heading home. the end.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE