Field archery - Leeds/Bradford/Harrogate area

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MrHare

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2012
Skipton,Yorkshire
Hi,

if anyone is interested in taking up field archery, Riggwelters field archers between Leeds and Ilkley are looking for a few new members. We're a small, friendly NFAS affiliated club with use of land in a rural spot with nice views, 40 targets set in a mix of woodland and some open moor.

You don't necessarily need to be an experienced archer, we can arrange to do some training if you need it.

For those unfamiliar with field archery, it's based on roving. We have around 40 lanes scattered around the site. You have up to 3 arrows to hit the target (normally an animal shape) getting closer to the target (and getting fewer points) each time. Once you've hit it, you collect your arrows and move on to the next lane.

Reply to this thread or PM me if you're interested.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Hi mate.

Its something i may be interested in. I have no kit as yet, but i could maybe change that with a trade or two on here.

I've done some archery before, kind of. But not for a long time. I could hit what i was aiming at at 25 yards though. :)

What kind of bows do you guys use?

MrHare

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2012
Skipton,Yorkshire
It varies - I shoot a bought Holmegaard replica, and a homemade Meare-Heathe ish paddle bow type of thing. Both of those class as primitive if shot with self nocked arrows. We have a few barebow recurve shooters, quite a few flatbow (with arrow shelves usually), one or two longbow and a couple of compound. Recurve and flatbow tend to be the commonest choices. Sighting is a rarity - most people shoot 'instinctive'. We don't do crossbow, but that's the only absolute limitation.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Sights on a bow? lol

I'm already part way through making my first bow. So self made bows would be more my thing. Got loads of ash staves to play with, so will be making various types. Crossbows aint my thing either, used to shoot one, but they destroy targets.

How would one go about becoming a member?

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Hey i would like to hear more about this too. I have had a few shots with a bow but would like to be shown properly.
Is it esential that you have your own equipment or is there some loan gear.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I've let my NFAS membership lapse, as I have other stuff going on atm, but I may be interested in the future, as you are quite close to me. Do you go to many shoots?

Last edited:

MrHare

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2012
Skipton,Yorkshire
OK, good stuff, I'll start setting something up with the club then. How to join varies according to background - if you've got some archery experience you'd need to shoot the course with one of the committee to go through the safety rules etc. If you've never shot before you'd need some tuition - that's something we can arrange, and we have loan bows that beginners can shoot.

Dave - I switched completely from GNAS target just over a year ago, not managed to go to any open field comps yet, hopefully next month (august). If you're interested in joining at a later date, drop me a message.

mountainm - if you shot as a guest, it'd be under NFAS 'have a go' coverage, GNAS won't cover you for shooting on an NFAS field. That's not a problem though, if you want to come and have a try we can set that up.

Hillbill - could I ask where you're getting staves from? I'm after a few, and the only wood yard I could think of locally that might sell appropriate wood is Boddys in Boroughbridge.

I'm on hol for a couple of weeks from this weekend, I'll sort out possible dates etc and post details when I get back. In the meantime, if anyone else is interested just add to this thread.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Dave - I switched completely from GNAS target just over a year ago, not managed to go to any open field comps yet, hopefully next month (august). If you're interested in joining at a later date, drop me a message.

Thanks, may well do next year. Will see how 'other things' pan out.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I cut/split my own. Plenty of straight grained ash round here, too many too close together so they grow straight up. I've got some well seasoned half logs about 8' long, expect they wont be easy to split now though.

If you want some i can cut some more.

MrHare

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2012
Skipton,Yorkshire
That would be very much appreciated, thanks v much :)

I'm only likely to be able to use 2 or 3 staves over the next year or so, so I don't need much. Whatever you can spare/spare the time to cut.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I cut/split my own. Plenty of straight grained ash round here, too many too close together so they grow straight up. I've got some well seasoned half logs about 8' long, expect they wont be easy to split now though.

If you want some i can cut some more.

Get it posted up ;)

Just spent the last few days heat treating and correcting, not my favourite job so i end up putting it off, and so end up with loads of them to do at the same time :(

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I used to shoot with "Ye Rippon Bowmen" a good few years ago but gave it up when my dermatitis got so bad the string ripped the skin from the end of my fingers even with a tab!

I've often thought about getting back to it in one form or another and compound i think would be the way to go as i could use a trigger (does that apply to your club as well?)

Could you tell me what days/times you meet on?

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
The stave wood?

That arrow head is nearly done. Swallow tail, socketed ;) I'm impressed with it thus far. Unfortunately, now i have artistic ideas on what to do on the next swallowtail, so i'm going to have to get all creative on it lol :)

Get it posted up ;)

Just spent the last few days heat treating and correcting, not my favourite job so i end up putting it off, and so end up with loads of them to do at the same time :(

Last edited:

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I'll cut some more when i can then. Best time is autumn when the leaves turn, not as much moisture in the wood and the vegetation has died back.:)

That would be very much appreciated, thanks v much :)

I'm only likely to be able to use 2 or 3 staves over the next year or so, so I don't need much. Whatever you can spare/spare the time to cut.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
The stave wood?

That arrow head is nearly done. Swallow tail, socketed ;) I'm impressed with it thus far. Unfortunately, now i have artistic ideas on what to do on the next swallowtail, so i'm going to have to get all creative on it lol :)

Where ever your upto with it all :)
Just in the middle of 3 recurves, 1 gull wing, 2 snakey yew, 1 snakes oak and a yew warbow :evilangel:

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
Very interested in this thread but as Harrogate is a fair ride for me , is there anywhere near Bury/ Bolton / Manchester where i could try this out

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Very interested in this thread but as Harrogate is a fair ride for me , is there anywhere near Bury/ Bolton / Manchester where i could try this out

South Cheshire field archers.
Their site is near helsby and delamere. If anyone need the contact details let me know.
Not a member my self as i have somewhere to practive at my local haunt and spend more time making than i do shooting. It is on my list of things to sort though.
Nice friendly people.

MrHare

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2012
Skipton,Yorkshire
I used to shoot with "Ye Rippon Bowmen" a good few years ago but gave it up when my dermatitis got so bad the string ripped the skin from the end of my fingers even with a tab!

I've often thought about getting back to it in one form or another and compound i think would be the way to go as i could use a trigger (does that apply to your club as well?)

Could you tell me what days/times you meet on?

Ouch! Yep, you can use a release aid (trigger) if you're shooting compound. Sounds like a good way around the problem.

We usually meet on sunday morning, but some members shoot on other days - there's a couple of people shoot daytime mondays for example.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE