Field Archery Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
I am after buying a friend a sheath knife suitable for digging the odd arrow out of trees and the like when out in the woods on NFAS shoots.

Ideally she would like a black handle and sheath, leather of cordura. I figure a drop point would have advantages, a fairly thick blade as there is a lot of levering and chiselling. A thumb guard of some sort might be an advantage too. Stainless probably as all the care effort goes into the archery equipment - she shoots compound whereas I shoot takedown recurve.

Ideally the answer would be 'don't miss in the first place' but we all do - course setters seemingly delight in making some shots very difficult. almost having to shoot around trees sometimes.

Suggestions, and page links, greatly appreciated.

Cheers all,

Richard

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I could make you something if that interests you mate. That way you can have all the features you want on it. All depends on your budget though. :)

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Some time ago, someone featured a knife for this purpose, not sure if that was on here or over on BB. The mora work knives that look like a chisel maybe good for this sort of thing, but a custom from Mark Hill would go down very nicely thank you.

Rob

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Customs would be nice but I don't think my budget would stretch that far :-(

A full tang would be kind of useful for the levering. I would normally recommend a Mora myself but they aren't really pretty enough and one thing they don't like is too much levering.

A small chisel/screwdriver may work but this is a present !

Keep 'em coming guys.

Richard

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I'd go for something in the coldsteel range

http://www.coldsteel-uk.com/store/The-Spike-Series.html

The bowie spike looks like the toughest and they are on sale too
spike-bowie-53bs.jpg

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Customs would be nice but I don't think my budget would stretch that far :-(

A full tang would be kind of useful for the levering. I would normally recommend a Mora myself but they aren't really pretty enough and one thing they don't like is too much levering.

A small chisel/screwdriver may work but this is a present !

Keep 'em coming guys.

Richard

Personally I'd avoid a full blade - you only need the tip sharpened, it's more a digging tool that's required than a chopping tool. It only takes a slip whilst pushing hard for the hand to go onto the blade.

How about a kiridashi like this:
cbc7dcb1e83ae30fc0e84923cb95dc04.jpg

http://www.heinnie.com/Mini-Tak-Kirdashi/p-0-0-4157/
4157.jpg

this would work well - cheap, good grip, little chance of slipping. Bit tacticool tho'.

Last edited:

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I use a knife with a very big rounded pommel on the end to dig arrows out of trees.
Trust me hitting a knife with the palm of your hand gets painful really quickly if the pommel isn't suitable.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Thats weak tea dude :) Kiridashis have weak tips.... and only came into existence because makers didnt want scraps of steel going to waste ;) I've never seen the point in one... its waste metal with an edge thats not really designed for a purpose other than scrap = money. :) I could make over a hundred of those from my scrap bin :) But i only make knives with a real purpose... :)

Personally I'd avoid a full blade - you only need the tip sharpened, it's more a digging tool that's required than a chopping tool. It only takes a slip whilst pushing hard for the hand to go onto the blade.

How about a kiridashi like this:
cbc7dcb1e83ae30fc0e84923cb95dc04.jpg

http://www.heinnie.com/Mini-Tak-Kirdashi/p-0-0-4157/
4157.jpg

this would work well - cheap, good grip, little chance of slipping. Bit tacticool tho'.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Thats weak tea dude :) Kiridashis have weak tips.... and only came into existence because makers didnt want scraps of steel going to waste ;) I've never seen the point in one... its waste metal with an edge thats not really designed for a purpose other than scrap = money. :) I could make over a hundred of those from my scrap bin :) But i only make knives with a real purpose... :)

Why is the tip weaker than any other knife with an acute point at the same thickness?

Still think a big bradawl is the optimum tool for the Job.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE