Field Archery Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Is it OT to suggest that people think before gouging chunks out of a tree? I repeat that pliers work well, how often is the pile buried?

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I'm surprised there's not been a purpose made set of pliers designed for the task yet (though there may be and I'm just ignorant of it)
I imagine with standard pliers some care is needed not to gouge into the shaft with the teeth of the pliers.
In my head I can envisage a nicely rounded inner shape to the jaws that are padded with rubber or leather or something. Then some sort of fulcrum on the side of the pliers so the arrow can be levered out of the tree rather than pulled. The fulcrum could be attached on a hinge to be super complicated or just a block or just stick something under the pliers as a separate item.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
The square head of a standard pair of pliers acts as a fulcrum but that is a clever thought about developing the idea. Breaking the arrow is just a hazard of archery and I would rather have a broken arrow than a hole in a tree. Some dedicated field archers will discard an arrow after it hits a tree in case it has hidden damage, certainly if there is and indication of damage.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
The square head of a standard pair of pliers acts as a fulcrum but that is a clever thought about developing the idea. Breaking the arrow is just a hazard of archery and I would rather have a broken arrow than a hole in a tree. Some dedicated field archers will discard an arrow after it hits a tree in case it has hidden damage, certainly if there is and indication of damage.

Aah, so to use the square head as the fulcrum you're pulling up on the pliers? I was thinking pushing down towards the tree and hadn't considered the opposite!

I'm surprised there's not been a purpose made set of pliers designed for the task yet (though there may be and I'm just ignorant of it)
I imagine with standard pliers some care is needed not to gouge into the shaft with the teeth of the pliers.
In my head I can envisage a nicely rounded inner shape to the jaws that are padded with rubber or leather or something. Then some sort of fulcrum on the side of the pliers so the arrow can be levered out of the tree rather than pulled. The fulcrum could be attached on a hinge to be super complicated or just a block or just stick something under the pliers as a separate item.

Knife i put up has an arrow head puller you unscrew the Shaft and screw on the adaptor then use the knife to lever out hte head

http://www.wildsteer.com/Movies/extracteur.html

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Bear in mind that far more often than trees it is the wooden surround for the stand which the rubber animal stands in front of - very rarely were trees harmed in the woods.

I take the comments about chisels etc but this is meant to be a present.

I am on the trail of a Buck Vanguard now - pretty and suitable and beefy.

For myself I carry a Mora. Does what it says on the label.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Bear in mind that far more often than trees it is the wooden surround for the stand which the rubber animal stands in front of - very rarely were trees harmed in the woods.

For myself I carry a Mora. Does what it says on the label.

If the stand is the problem then you definitely do not want to gouge holes in it, pliers again.

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Stands are invariably full of holes :) inaccurate archers I guess. Also many are using aluminium and even carbon arrows.that would be destroyed by pliers. The knife works well.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Arrows, including the heads, are sadly disposable which I don't think many clubs would agree with for their stands but then people make their own choices.

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Thanks for the contributions folks. I thought that you might like to know that I replaced my own Mora with a HD Hultafors w/green handle and the gift was a Bear Grylls small sheath knife. Thick, short blade with jimping and a.smaller handle.for the smaller hand. Was in the woods yesterday and it functioned well. Not to my taste in terms of handle material and colour but suitably techy for a compound archer.

I do wonder if there might be a market for a UK version of the wildsteer, or a mod to existing knives.

Good shooting all.

Parbajtor

Maker
Feb 5, 2014
Surbiton
www.tanczos.co.uk
Thats weak tea dude :) Kiridashis have weak tips.... and only came into existence because makers didnt want scraps of steel going to waste ;) I've never seen the point in one... its waste metal with an edge thats not really designed for a purpose other than scrap = money. :) I could make over a hundred of those from my scrap bin :) But i only make knives with a real purpose... :)

Kiridashis fulfill the same function as Stanley knives. The blades aren't disposable and they are best suited for marking out, cutting veneers and inlays. The single bevel and offset makes it easier (than a Stanley) to make square/flush cuts off a ruler. Great for cutting out leather. They seem to be a good combination of scalpel and stanley knife, the precision of a scalpel but the robustness of the Stanley. They come into their own when making saya for Katana.

Now you know the purpose, get raiding your scrap bin.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE