FGYT Large Nessy. A Review.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Duncan (FGYT) recently sent me five knives to have a mess about with. Four fixed blade outdoors knives and one folder. Two of the fixed blades are prototype Nessmuk inspired designs that Duncan scaled up for use as a heavier chopping/camp blade. The third is a military styled tac knife, and the fourth is a design based on British Reds PFK but with Duncans inspirational 'Flandi' grind.

P1000036.jpg

P1000037.jpg

The one that really stood out to me was the larger Nessy with smoothed wooden slabs and leather sheath...

P1000360.jpg

It's quite a large knife at an overall 14 inches, 8 of which are sharpened blade.

P1000351.jpg

What really stands out on this knife is the handle.

P1000352.jpg

It is obviously designed for multiple grips during use. From the regular grip...

P1000353.jpg

To the pommel grip to allow extra weight and swinging/chopping ability...

P1000354.jpg

First impressions upon using it recalled memories of the review I did on the Chris Caine tool. This knife is much smaller, yet seems far more versatile and useful. It obviously lacks the weight of the Chris Caine Survival tool, but beyond that, it makes up for it in being far better designed for cutting without the weight. It isn't the bludgeon the CC tool is, but a refined cutting tool.

So I decided to chop the same diameter (wrist thick) wood that I target in all my reviews. Two chops did this...

P1000355.jpg

As far as I was concerned, from such a small blade, that is damned impressive. One more chop to the opposite side brought the whole tree down. So after that, I cleared the branches (easy) and tried to reduce the stave into short lengths. One chop went straight through no problems. In fact it went right through and into the stump I was using....

P1000357.jpg

In short, this knife punches way way above it's weight. It's like a small parang and performs like a larger one. The blade profile and deep belly are perfectly designed and executed for optimum cutting ability. The knife shape and design is very comfortable in all positions. This knife is an excellent camp knife, survival tool and small parang. No mean feat to include those options. Although a rough prototype, constructions and fittings are tight. The sheath was made by Luckylee and is very well made also, and perfectly compliments this tool.

To sum it up, this knife is what a survival tool should be, compact, lightweight and portable. It is everything teh Lofty tool and CC tool should have been, and for me exceeds both of them in form and function.

P1000356.jpg

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Cheers for that Jon, I'm still tempted by the G10 camo though

The handle was heavy on that, so Duncan sculpted it to reduce weight. Unfortunately, it's not very comfortable as it is over long periods. It does have a thicker blade though, which makes for a very powerful chopping tool.

The handle was heavy on that, so Duncan sculpted it to reduce weight. Unfortunately, it's not very comfortable as it is over long periods. It does have a thicker blade though, which makes for a very powerful chopping tool.

yes was defiantly not a success luckily they are bolted on so can be replaced and try again it was the first time ive tried that sculpted effect and didn't get it right. Tho i told Jonathan that before he tryed them i should probably have changed it first

the extra heavy 7.3mm blade will have Carbon fibre scales and be smooth like the first one i have some 16mm thick scales coming from the same maker that the Deval bushcrafter CF scales come from ;)

Nice to see some on else finds the blade works the handle shape is actually based on a MOD Survival knife from one i Modified

ATB

Duncan

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I've been tempted by one of these, can't decide which blade thickness to go for.

I'll let you know what I think after I've gone through the same routine as the thinner one. I won't concentrate on the handle obviously, but the ability of the blade itself. As I said in my last post, carbon fibre would be amazing on this knife. At the moment, with the thinner one, I would have to say it would be the perfect expedition knife. From the African and Australian bush to the worlds rainforests, this would be a perfect companion. I will be buying one.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Looks great and seems to have performed very well. I think that shape is a great performer.

I am concerned though at the amount of handle left in your hand when it is in the "flick' grip.

My concern in rainforests would be tired sweaty hands and possibly slick with insect repellent.

I'd stand at least 10 metres away from the user! (says he who has inadvertently sent a parang scything in the air over twice that distance:eek:

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Really liking the look of that ever since I first saw it. If I had the funds I'd be getting one ASAP. Would really love a big Nessie and this is undoubtedly the one I shall get when funds are there.

I've probably missed this before but why the two lanyard holes?

very technical special reason :lmao:

the original MOD knife has a lanyard hole at the top and i wanted one at the bottom so re drilled the blade for that
when I did the Nessy blank design i put in holes for both as options so people could choose

I made the first one for JP and didn't get an answer as to which hole so i put in both and thought it looked quite nice and a bit different so have done it on these other 2 for me. For customer knifes you can still choose 0,1,2 lanyard holes ;)

so the simple answer is ...because i can :cool:

tho it does really secure the butt end of the scales as do the rest of the 15 pins which all go right through the important ones being the bolster pins which stop the scales popping at the front if the blade is pried or twisted (a full tangs weak spot and some thing the DSP is very focused at minimizing) on the bolt on cammo one only the 2 bolt pins hold the scales on all the rest are decoration

ATB

Duncan

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I do like these large camp Nessies. Heck I seem to recall the original CAD line drawings :)

Weirdly (for me) I think one in kydex with CF scales in something like CPM 30V would make a corking down and dirty knife. Maybe with a little PFK piggy backed :)

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Looks great and seems to have performed very well. I think that shape is a great performer.

I am concerned though at the amount of handle left in your hand when it is in the "flick' grip.

My concern in rainforests would be tired sweaty hands and possibly slick with insect repellent.

I'd stand at least 10 metres away from the user! (says he who has inadvertently sent a parang scything in the air over twice that distance:eek:

Good point BOD, but then that's where the lanyard would come into play, hand through and a quick spin to tighten the cord And your off, the other benefit being that the blade won't leave the handle :p

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Good point BOD, but then that's where the lanyard would come into play, hand through and a quick spin to tighten the cord And your off, the other benefit being that the blade won't leave the handle :p

That's not such a good idea :). If it slips from your finger the knife has a good chance of whipping back round and hitting you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE