Fenna !!!!!!!!!!!!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
OK folks - it aint about the knives!
Being very safe and secure in my sexuality or my looks (what looks?) I have no hang-ups about having a laugh - and when the "post a picture of yourself" thread started I used a photo of myself in the role of the Good Fairy (transformed into "something horrid" by King Rat)in our local Panto to counteract the huge testosterone spike of most of the photos folk were posting.
Not my normal mainly home made, earth colour, natural material bushy kit of manly apearance at all!
My antipathy towards those most useless of gadgets that are so anti-bushcraft ethos and impractical to a degree (plastic sporks - and their titenium brothers... you want a spoon and fork? carve one or take one from a charity shop! plastic breaks too, easy Ti(t) is light - and passes this lightness onto your wallet to no good end! It ain't Bushy its mass produced plastic or Ti(t) Tat!) is well known... not that that stops me leaving sporks that have been "donated" to me at strategic points around my bushy world ... just in case I forget to take my hand carved ones with me, forget my knife or get terminally lazy and cannot be ersed to carve a new fork to eat my noodles.
This is the background to the "Pink Spork in Pink Spork Case" wind up perpetrated on me by the usual suspects and which - when given a subtle twist by my cunning and fertile imagination - ended up raising a decent amount of dosh for a Breast Cancer charity (the pink bit helped here).
All good clean fun with a positive outcome based on ongoing taking the Michela out of the Macho Image of bushiness, my penchant for dressing up to amuse the masses and my aversion to sporks (see Moot archives for further Fenna/Spork related wind up material) and basically continueing the great and good wind up at my expense (and as I have the good fortune to be rich in good humour I can afford the expense!)
I am sure that the OP was just extending this wicked line of micky taking and pointing out how nice the new colour knife would be to go with the nice pink Sporks and nice pink Spork Cases and not having a go at the colour/practicallity/dubious sexuality of any bloke who might like one of these nice pink knives or promoting any kind of Macho BS at all.....

But Pink!
For pities sake, get a grip!
It ranks along side the"Hello Kitty" Kalashnikov as tacky (in the wrong hands - lethaly tacky) - almost as bad as the Pink Sporks in Pink Spork cases!
Only a realy girly boy (or practical but still girly girl) would even think of it!
If you do not want to lose your knife - PUT IT IN YOUR SHEATH NOT ON THE GROUND! (or get an orange one and turn the woods into suburbia with assocciated belisha beacons) Bushy knives should be Carbon steel with wood handles and leather sheaths not some "plastic fantastic" neon toy!
Next there will be some metrosexual, beardless bushy boy promoting the best bushcrafting moisturiser! (Mad Dave could use some on his baldy head I guess)Or folks will start taking moisturised extra fluffy looroll into the woods instead of foraging bramble leaves for the job!
What is Bushcraft coming to!

Pick the bones out of that lot, butties!:nofeed:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarg!

Sorry Mr. Fenna,
Your post appered as I posted mine. I do agree with you however. I like to blend in in the countryside. Doesn't mean cammoing up, just muted colours. Greens and tweed for me. Was given a cammo zippo as a prezzy and it's the one piece of kit I've lost in the woods. As to not loosing kit I also put stuff back where it should go. I have certain pockets for certain things and as I walk along I tap my pockets (subconciously now) to ensure gear is there and if not because I do it fairly regularly I would only have to backtrack a short way.
You're a trooper for taking the ribbing the way you do, and I'm sure it's given because we all have enormous respect for you. It's like young lads testing their father as he's so good.
All the best,
GB.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
What is Bushcraft coming to!

Biscuits and sandwiches, John, it's all about biscuits and sandwiches.
2187279.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Sorry Mr. Fenna,
Your post appered as I posted mine. I do agree with you however. I like to blend in in the countryside. Doesn't mean cammoing up, just muted colours. Greens and tweed for me. Was given a cammo zippo as a prezzy and it's the one piece of kit I've lost in the woods. As to not loosing kit I also put stuff back where it should go. I have certain pockets for certain things and as I walk along I tap my pockets (subconciously now) to ensure gear is there and if not because I do it fairly regularly I would only have to backtrack a short way.
You're a trooper for taking the ribbing the way you do, and I'm sure it's given because we all have enormous respect for you. It's like young lads testing their father as he's so good.
All the best,
GB.
Strangely enough I had both a "silver" highly polished shiney Zippo and a commo one - I lost the shiney one!
Those boots would have been ideal for the Good Fairy!
I had to paint my old combat boots silver and they have since been used as part of a Spaceman costume in our theatre!
The gear I had to make for our last Winter show was all Nazi and Italian Fascist uniforms!
We were performing "'Allo, 'Allo" (I was Leclerc) more details on www.atticplayers.org.uk where you will also see me as "Smee" in Peter Pan and as a "Squire" in a melodrama.
I make my own costumes (and some others) as I have the quallies to sew (at one time I designed for Craghoppers) and like making stuff!
Although I am the longest serving member of Attic players who is still acting (my wife is an equally long serving member but now runs "front of house") I am not the only BcUK member of The Attic Players - and Tony (AKA "The Boss") has come to watch several of our shows!
Our humble company has won praise and several national awards and has quite a few ex-proffessionals in its number - even I have appeared on TV (in "Lovejoy" and some Welsh Soaps.
Over the (many) years I have been everything from "Scrooge" in "A Christmas Carol", juvenile lead, chorus, "character" roles ... and the "Good Fairy"!
In the woods my role is "Wise Old - but it is all playacting realy! :) Bushcrafter"

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Could not care less what colour it is, as long as its sharp and does the job that's all that matters, and lets face it ,it would be hard to lose

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
OK folks - it aint about the knives!
Being very safe and secure in my sexuality or my looks (what looks?) I have no hang-ups about having a laugh - and when the "post a picture of yourself" thread started I used a photo of myself in the role of the Good Fairy (transformed into "something horrid" by King Rat)in our local Panto to counteract the huge testosterone spike of most of the photos folk were posting.
Not my normal mainly home made, earth colour, natural material bushy kit of manly apearance at all!

Yeah an over reaction on my part (sorry :eek:) - I know its all done as a laugh. I guess I was just thinking "what makes a pink Mora worse than a black or green one"? If it gets a lass thinking "oh thats nice" - well - why not? Its not really any more "bling" than damascus or file work :)

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
If I may stick my oar in here........

I work for a company closely connected to the automotive industry, and as such we spend huge amounts of money on our colour capability. By that I mean providing our customers with the means for them to mix and match anything the car manufacturers throw at them.

Colour styling and pyschology is vitally important; the car makers employ whole rafts of people who work closely with fashion houses, interior designers and other trend spotters as they work out exactly what colours (and what general colour trends) will work on which car model year.

It is a fact that certain colours evoke certain reactions when seen in a specific context; a red Ferrari for instance. This baby though was only ever intended to be marketed to, and bought by women:

FZeRiLS.jpg

I know that a neon pink Mora is unlikely to be lost as easily as a forest green one, but pink does not naturally appeal to men. That's how it is, we can't help it.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I used to carry a few spare sets of eating kit (plates, bowls mugs, knives, forks and spoons) to scout camp...... made the lads much more careful of their own kit though as the option would have been to borrow some of skips ;) cunning psychology eh

I have no problem with pink BTW - my kayak is bright pink and have a variety of shirts in pink too :D

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I used to carry a few spare sets of eating kit (plates, bowls mugs, knives, forks and spoons) to scout camp...... made the lads much more careful of their own kit though as the option would have been to borrow some of skips ;) cunning psychology eh

I have no problem with pink BTW - my kayak is bright pink and have a variety of shirts in pink too :D
When I was a Scout Leader if the kids lost anything I would SELL them some of my spares!
Rotten little so-and-sos got very careful of their gear!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE