Fear of the dark

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Terr

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2010
Scotland
Although I love Bushcraft and frequently venture out alone as my OH works abroad and I don't have any friends who are willing to get their hands dirty, I am TERRIFIED of what could be lurking out in the darkness to the point where I won't venture out from under my tarp on certain nights. I don't know how I come to the conclusion that my tarp is somehow protecting me from whatever is out there since I am usually a calm and logical person.

Once I chalked up the courage to go out for a bathroom break in the dark and woke the dog up. After I climbed back in my bed I saw a glowing pair of eyes staring at me from a patch of high grass and immediately convinced myself that it was the hound of the Baskervilles! *facepalm*

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Although I love Bushcraft and frequently venture out alone as my OH works abroad and I don't have any friends who are willing to get their hands dirty, I am TERRIFIED of what could be lurking out in the darkness to the point where I won't venture out from under my tarp on certain nights. I don't know how I come to the conclusion that my tarp is somehow protecting me from whatever is out there since I am usually a calm and logical person.

Once I chalked up the courage to go out for a bathroom break in the dark and woke the dog up. After I climbed back in my bed I saw a glowing pair of eyes staring at me from a patch of high grass and immediately convinced myself that it was the hound of the Baskervilles! *facepalm*

I'm so glad it's nae just me that's got this problem- stopped me going out solo too many times... I'm such a wuss!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Er, sorry. In warmer climes at the mo. Still, it will give the blighter chance to conceal his stachio stashes for the forthcoming year. I will get back there soon for a photo update.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Er, sorry. In warmer climes at the mo. Still, it will give the blighter chance to conceal his stachio stashes for the forthcoming year. I will get back there soon for a photo update.

You're alive!

We were just thinking about getting tooled up & going to rescue you from being turned into: Roasted, stachio-stuffed long pig...

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Have no fear, if I go down there will be a dynamic whirlwind of vertically challenged blonde vengeance that will meet out epic justice upon the swine. Well, either that or she'll go shopping. So prepare for IA if that happens.

Woody110

Mod
Mod
Mar 8, 2009
Leeds, Yorkshire
Darkness have never really bothered me that much, I work shifts and love to get out in the night.

My boy is nearly 5 and he cannot sleep with the light on, and shows no fear of the dark. My brothers daughter who is nearly 10 can not sleep without the light on. She is petrified of the dark and has always been.

I think a lot of fear is inherited from your parents, for instance, if they are scared of dogs the chances are you will be...

Jan 9, 2009
Perth
Pwhoah just read the entire thread on phone (my eyes are destroyed now methinks), even bits regarding space and whatnot. Very interesting stories and pointers for solo camping, certainly has made me wary of staying alone in bothies, pretty intrigued to head up Ben macdui too for a wee bit of grey man spotting. Hooked on your pistachioman updates johnathand very interesting stuff, loved reading how it all started from creepy tent scratchings to nabbing a bag of his nuts and discovering his hideaways. Any more updates?

JoshS

Nov 16, 2010
Outside
Wow 32 pages about being scared of the dark? Seriously? Bushcraft UK needs to MAN UP!
Just switch of your damn torch,or at-least use red filter, let your eyes adjust and you will be able to see loads.....

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Read the whole thread (Especially the stuff by JonathanD regarding Mr.Pistachio) before you pass comment Josh. Being afraid of the dark isn't really the gist....

JoshS

Nov 16, 2010
Outside
I haven't read the whole thread but will do..mr pistachio?

At the moment I am scared of failing my exams, I should be doing revision but I'm on BCUK!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE