Fear of the dark

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JoshS

Nov 16, 2010
Outside
What is a PNG?
Well if an uber manly ex special forces wildlife hero gets scared camping in his backyard then I guess I everyone else has to aswell.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
What is a PNG?
Well if an uber manly ex special forces wildlife hero gets scared camping in his backyard then I guess I everyone else has to aswell.

And that juvenile response just sums it all up.

Being scared isn't something to be ashamed of. It's instinct you should take heed of.

21. I remember that so well. I knew everything too, had a law dgree and business studies HND under my belt. I soon found out I didn't know anything.

Last edited:

JoshS

Nov 16, 2010
Outside
Oh please! read your previous post's. It sounds like your life has been a close approximation of the Adventure! series books by Willard Price. Mixed with Rambo.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Oh please! read your previous post's. It sounds like your life has been a close approximation of the Adventure! series books by Willard Price.

You try cramming 41 years into a sentence whilst trying to convey you're not scared of the dark and animal noises with the reasons why. I'm forwarding on my experience and why I'm certainly the last person to be afraid of the dark. I'm also living in the real world. You try facing off to some loon with an axe. You better be ready to be cut by your own axe. You'd be better of concealing that axe and reasoning with said loon.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yes I have been solo camping, in the UK and in New Zealand. More often I go with other people though.
I would have thought that having a hair shaving sharp GB hatchet and knife nearby would provide reassurance.

No, not really. But my 9mm does.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
All that goes out of the window when you are dealing with humans and their intent.

You just summed up one of the most interesting bits of advice I have read on here, although some time ago...

It went if I remember correctly, if you hear an animal noise in the UK at night wild camping, its not worth worrying about. If you hear a human noise, be very aware of it.

JoshS

Nov 16, 2010
Outside
Right. In this country, most of the general populace do not own guns. In the woods, if you come across someone with a firearm, it will be a farmer or guns on a shoot. Responsible people. City's have gun trouble not the middle of the woods. 9mm is not an option here.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Right. In this country, most of the general populace do not own guns. In the woods, if you come across someone with a firearm, it will be a farmer or guns on a shoot. Responsible people. City's have gun trouble not the middle of the woods. 9mm is not an option here.

Again, READ THE WHOLE THREAD. Not all of it is in the UK. JD mentioned several expeds abroad and so have others. Besides, what you mean to say is, "In this country the LAW ABIDING general populace do not own guns." Outlaws do whatever they please and that's where a real threat would come from. Not sugesting that YOU break the law but I am saying that some day (night) you might possibly encounter a hostile nutter who has no qualms about it; If/when you do you'll understand why that axe/knife isn't really all that comforting. Weapons of any kind weren't/aren't allowed in the prison I worked either; but the inmates were almost always armed somehow. Usually with a shank but occassionally with a home-made gun.

Last edited:

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I've been at home today with two sick boys while SWMBO has been at a study day ( neonate resus or something) any how I have to say having spent an hour reading the thread ( I admit I skipped the black hole stuff) what a load of wierdness...

Corfe

Dec 13, 2011
Northern Ireland
There's no accounting for what will unaccountably freak you out now and again. Once in a platoon hide on Salisbury Plain I was lying peacefully in my sleeping bag surrounded by two dozen other heavily armed big chaps, when something dug under my hip and lifted me half off the ground. I opened my wide, staring eyes to find the striped mask of Mr Badger staring myopically at me from a foot away - and I uttered a high-pitched unmanly wail which the other guys never let me forget... The platoon gash-bag was at my feet and two badgers had found it irresistible, and then had begun snorting around for more of the same, utterly unfazed by all the sleeping soldiers around them (and the three sentries with GPMGs).

On the other hand, I was solo-hiking on Skye twenty years ago, had made it through the Cuillins alone in winter, along Lock Coruisk, and then following the coast, before walking over this big plateau south of Glenbrittle. It was dark by then, and a big full moon came out and lit up the wide expanse of moor like it was day - and all I could think of was that scene in American Werewolf in London where the two yanks lose the path and hear something stalking them out in the darkness - I fairly quickened my pace, let me tell you!

Bottom line: Only the stupidly unimaginative never get scared.

Last edited:

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
The point about human/animal noises and the difference in how you react to them is a good one.

One of my favourite spots is awash with red deer, and they are noisy types at the best of times. It gets I dont really register their howls and scowls at all, I just get my head down.

However, about 6 weeks ago I was out, and awoke with a start because my brain registered very human noises. Shuffling. Clanking of kit. Puffing. I looked up, and about 25 yards away were four guys, all had crossbows. Big, nasty wheelie bows at that. This is 04.30, about 4 miles from the nearest road, and that has passing places becuase it's so crap. We're talking real middle of nowhere here. They walked about 2 yards in front of my basha, and thankfully never saw me.

I admit though, that at that point, I was experiencing a helluva adrenaline rush. Not scared, but very apprehensive. Nice people dont traipse through the woods in full kit with section 25 weapons at dark o clock in the morning after all.

The point of the story is, that that experience, though a fright at the time, it was easy to deal with because its a quantifiable threat. It's the other type of experience, where something isn't right, and you can feel it isn't, but there isn't a physical form to identify and threat assess, that are the ones that scare you. I've had them and though very rare, they get to you at a whole other level. Real frog part of the brainstem stuff. While I'm not educated to the level of some who post here, I do have a science based degree and feel I can reason most things away fairly well. Some experiences however, you just cant. Those stay with you.

If you've never have the latter, good for you. If you do, you'll know exactly what I mean, and I dont give a toss how 'hard' you think you are. It doesnt help.

Until then, certain posters would do well to gain some maturity and don't rubbish another mans experiences.

It might make you think you look good, but it really doesn't.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE