Fear of the dark

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Javapuntnl

Need to contact Admin...
May 2, 2009
Mansfield MA USA
I agree with the second post "fire and the realization that your probably the scariest thing in there" . Although when I'm solo camping in the woods I find myself curiously without fear... I get spooked plenty when its dark while just walking through town after midnight or even in my own basement.. but when I settle into camp I'm remarkably at ease... One tip I've heard is to realistically imagine what could be out there (realistically, so no zombies, or maybe...), but i guess that's just another case of knowledge over imagination.

IJ55

Forager
Mar 29, 2009
UK
However, I can say hand on my heart, with absolute total honesty, the scariest place on earth I have ever camped out for the night is a back garden.

Whos I won't say, but it is the one single solitary place I don't ever, ever step out into unless I am A) holding a torch, and B) The Rhodesian has gone out first and C) I have some whittling practise to do and need to get some wood for my bushie to slice up.

Yes folks, a garden has scared me more, much, much more than any woods or moorland could ever do.

Please, this is a story that you must tell us.

OK, but I have to say now, it is not bed time reading.

I went to stay over at a mates house, as he had a new tent he wanted to test out, and decided best way was to bed it in whilst in the back garden. I agreed, and duely gathered up some kit for a weekend and trotted round his place.

He has a real nice house mind, and a huge, easily 250 feet each way garden, that is bare of shrubs bar some around the rear fences. We duely set up the tent, merrily chatting away and it went up easy, so we had a brew (Tea) and a BBQ, and just shooting the breeze.

It got dark, and we watched the stars for a while, then a bit past midnight we decided to knock it on the head and get some kip.

Well, laid there, this noise started at the top of the tent, a scraping sound accompanied with a sniggering 'laugh'. I turned to my mate and gave him hell for trying to scare me, and he did like wise, and neither believing the other, so we left it at that.

I grabbed a mars, he grabbed his yorkie, and we both started munching, when from the tip again down, starting that aweful slow scraping and sniggering noise, and then the ground sheet started to be tugged on and again that sniggering laugh.

Well #### that was it - we flew out the tent and there was absolutely nothing there at all. You couldn't of caught us if you tried that night as we ran, two grown men, ran like the wind to the back door, and sat up all night long till dawn wide awake until the sun came up and we could retrieve the tent.

I still go round his way every now and again, but things have changed. His garden has alot of lights, and he keeps Rhodesian Ridgebacks - when he goes out to take out the washing, they go with him, when he goes out for a smoke, they go with him. When his little one goes into the garden in full day light, two go with her.

Oh and when I go out into his garden, which ever of the dogs is home gets let out first.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
i love walking around greek islands at night, crete in particular
my parents are from crete, and i feel really at peace just wandering round the foothills at night, and sleeping on a beach

Circumnavigating some of those islands can be quite a ruffty tuffty experience, however there is something quite magical about sitting on the shore at night watching the distant soundless lights of fishing boats moving to and fro...

:)

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Remembered Dr Whos' reasoning for the fear of the dark..:lmao: Vashta_Nerada The Doctor does attribute the seemingly irrational fear of darkness common to many species as a perfectly rational fear of the Vashta Nerada

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
As a kid i had the usual bit of paranoia about the dark.

I lost it because where i used to hang out was a bit of a walk from my house, but their was a shortcut through some woods and fields. I used to stand at the start of the path and try get my bottle up to through it. I did eventually and since then it has never been a problem. I overcame it as a kid so don't have that instinctual fear any more. Though i forget that other people do.

This came back to my attention through a friend. He isn't scared of anyone and is not a wimp. Yet, i took him lamping about 2 in the morning on an estate i was working at the time in North Yorkshire. He was bricking it, seriously. He kept asking "what if we see someone" lol. I told him straight

" If someone sees us they are going to see 2 big lads bally'd up wearing camo and carrying guns, who do you thinks going to brick it?

He was always ok after that. But i was really surprised by his initial reactions at being a couple of miles from a house in the dark, all his inner strenght and confidence just seemed to be carried off on the breeze.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
These live in my grab bag;

ear_plugs.jpg

Seems to make the dark more tolerable if you're on your own and also cuts out the snoring if you're not!!

Cheers,

Alan

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
the realization that your probably the scariest thing in there

MMM I had a very funny incident happen once,

It was very dark and i was walking along a track that had thick bushes on both sides. I was enjoying the night when I heard all this noise on the path ahead ,half a min later I identified the noise as a couple of drunks and relised it must have been chucking out time. Well I didnt want to get involved with them so I thought I would take the option of going into the bushes and waiting for them to pass. I went about 5 feet in and sat down and waited, to my utter astonishment one of them decided to veer of the path and headed straight to where I was concealed. Ok I thought they saw me, there drunk and they have decided to confront. Well I wasnt about to be pushed around by a couple of idiots so I started to stand and then heard the"zzzzziiippppp" . I relised that the person hadnt seen me even though he was staring straight at me . well he started to sing wonderwall accompanied by the sound of pee hitting the foliage. I couldnt move and ive never had to fight they urge to burst out laughing as much as that before.
Also the urge to shake the bushes and start making howling sounds was hard to repress aswell.

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
Am enjoying reading the experiences posted in this thread, some seem truly bewildering...

From my own observations.....what is the scariest thing on the planet...?
Answer....The imagination focused upon the unknown whilst in an environment devoid of input.

JonathonD's recollection of fingernails down the tent must have put the brain into overdrive (What a rush, awesome).....either big foot has learned to levitate (no footprints) or more likely a small branch fell onto the tent at just the right speed and angle then slowly slid down the tent with enough weight to simulate dragging finger nails as it did so...the imagination under a time of stress could have filled in the blanks in the absence of input.....as the tent was surrounded by twigs whatever fell could have easily blended with the surroundings.

Am not knocking your experience at all, I'd sincerely love to meet something genuinely weird in the woods....but it would probably just be my own reflection....:lmao:

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
annother fun story was on a scouts camping competition at the local scout campsite. we where playing manhunt, in the dark (best place to do it) and one of the groups decided that a "dark figure" was following them.
by the time they got to camp, they where bricking it. at first they thought it was me, but I was over the other side of the campsite, having spotted them walking towards me about 15 minuits earlier.
they quickly worked themselves up into a tizzy "its a peodo" "no its not, its a mad axe murderer".....ect.

my reckoning is that there's some poor guy from one of the other camps, who went for a stroll, and has no idea how much terror he caused :lmao:

IJ55

Forager
Mar 29, 2009
UK
Beautiful dogs, lovely indeed. I pity the entity that tries to mess with them..

you should see them with his kid. The back door opens and one or two will trot out and run to the middle of the lawn, the little one with tumble out the door into the play area and another couple will happily lay down and watch her all day.

They are so amazingly intelligent I am bewildered at times by it - However, and this is important - do not ever encroache on a RRB's territory unannounced. That bluntly is possibly a fatal mistake to make, especially when they are paired or more.

However, if you have one, you know what beautiful companionable animals they are.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
They are so amazingly intelligent I am bewildered at times by it - However, and this is important - do not ever encroache on a RRB's territory unannounced. That bluntly is possibly a fatal mistake to make, especially when they are paired or more.

However, if you have one, you know what beautiful companionable animals they are.

I'd love one, if I could afford to get one, and it's upkeep (can't imagine they'd be cheap to keep) but that's another pipe dream. I read a story in FHM many years ago, a man was walking his in his grounds and came across some bloke out with two Dobermans'. The bloke started to get a bit stroppy and cheeky, saying his Dobermans would easily take it as they were guard dogs or fighters or something like that, the guy asked then pleaded for him to be sensible but the bloke let loose his dogs. The man had no choice but to let his Ridgeback loose too. The first doberman died within a few minutes and he later found out the other died the next day. Or at least that is what the story was.

I've saw a couple round here, sometimes there is a dog show / demo / comp of some sort at the Dean castle, a lass had two. Unmistakable dogs, very proud looking, large and powerfully athletic, very alert looking too- I can see what you mean by being intelligent. We made sure we stayed a respectful dustance away, as did everyone else, even those chatting with the lass. I was completely awe struck by them, as it was the first time I'd saw them in person.

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
There was a programme on TV recently about problems caused by inbreeding dogs for particular characteristics. Rhodesian ridgebacks were one of the breeds covered. The ridgeback feature is apparently caused by a form of spina biffida, and some dogs shown on the programme had serious problems with open lesions in their backs. The vets on the programme deplored the breeding of ridgebacks.

Jim

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
JonathonD's recollection of fingernails down the tent must have put the brain into overdrive (What a rush, awesome).....either big foot has learned to levitate (no footprints) or more likely a small branch fell onto the tent at just the right speed and angle then slowly slid down the tent with enough weight to simulate dragging finger nails as it did so...the imagination under a time of stress could have filled in the blanks in the absence of input.....as the tent was surrounded by twigs whatever fell could have easily blended with the surroundings.:

Definately not a branch falling, it happened several times at the same speed...very quick and I was camped in a muddy clearing next to a wide stream. Any branches falling near my tent would have been obvious. Not to mention pretty spectacular as the nearest tree was about 30 feet away. The fact that I couldn't work out a rational explanation was the worst thing :D

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
OK back to the drawing board.....:dunno:

At the least you'll have a great opener for dinner parties :D

This has probably the first time I've talked about it. There are no words that can convey what the feeling was that night, and although a couple of freinds came back to the site the following day, the explanantions ran dry, and the only wy we could replicate the noise was by using our hands and nails. The tent was also an Hilleberg Akto, so is curved, and even holding a stick and runing it down the sides wouldn't work as well as the control the human arm alone has. Stuff we dropped onto it just bounced off and wouldn't slide down too. Freaky.

IJ55

Forager
Mar 29, 2009
UK
There was a programme on TV recently about problems caused by inbreeding dogs for particular characteristics. Rhodesian ridgebacks were one of the breeds covered. The ridgeback feature is apparently caused by a form of spina biffida, and some dogs shown on the programme had serious problems with open lesions in their backs. The vets on the programme deplored the breeding of ridgebacks.

Jim

http://www.rhodesianridgebacks.org/puppyadvice.html

They are great dogs, strong stock, have beautiful 'pack' orientated natures and are super healthy. You just have to do like you do with all dogs and make sure you use a reputable breeder who is documented and lnows their onions.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE