Fear of the dark

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

echobelly

Jan 10, 2010
South Korea
JD: I would never have gone back after the first tent/hand night.
Really an amazing story!
It has certainly made me think differently about camping alone.

I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to hear how this pans out.

Stay safe buddy.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
I've not yet, but certainly will. That link is really interesting. I live just a stones throw from a Roman road.

Righty O matey, heres a bit more to browse, Gibbets Wood, murder, Roman forts !!!!!!!!! Never knew there were Roman stuff locally either.

Greensforge Lane doesn't yield much info or history

Stewpony gives us a bit more stuff, now the old Lido there might be interesting to google.

http://www.dunsleyhallhotel.co.uk/index.php?id=193

http://www.the-staffordshire-encyclopaedia.co.uk/view.php?id=232

http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks06/0605161h.html

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/user/5256/weblog/

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...&resnum=4&ved=0CCQQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false

http://www.visitoruk.com/historydetail.php?id=26824&f=Greatmalvern

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Gibbet Wood and the ghost of William Howe I know very well. That story is well documented and the BBC made a short documentary on it in the 70's with Bill Oddie investigating. A truly grisly and true story involving Howe murdering a trader from Stourbridge and then being hung and left in the Gibbet to rot until some nutters tried to steal his body for medical science. Parts of it are still buried in those woods, but the gibbet post has long since rotted away. I've walked home many times through the Gibbet Lane cut and I've always ended up bricking it and running. Not a nice place, very desolate as no one sane goes there. It has been blocked off now for a few years.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Gibbet Wood and the ghost of William Howe I know very well. That story is well documented and the BBC made a short documentary on it in the 70's with Bill Oddie investigating. A truly grisly and true story involving Howe murdering a trader from Stourbridge and then being hung and left in the Gibbet to rot until some nutters tried to steal his body for medical science. Parts of it are still buried in those woods, but the gibbet post has long since rotted away. I've walked home many times through the Gibbet Lane cut and I've always ended up bricking it and running. Not a nice place, very desolate as no one sane goes there. It has been blocked off now for a few years.

Some interesting stuff mate, my grandad would have some more info but he's sadly not with us anymore.

I'm up for an overnighter mate, under tarp though not tent, i like to see my opponent straight off.:yikes::camping:

Dormouse

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2010
UK
Ooh I hope you manage to find some traces of or clues to your athletic sneaky weird bloke.

I'm keeping an eye on this thread.

rommy

Forager
Jun 4, 2010
Hull, East Yorkshire.
Naaahhh Tom gave up that lifestyle years ago. Last I heard he was about 75 years old and living in a retirement home on Skye. But it does prove the existence of big cats in the wild!!:)

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Christ this thread has gone a long way since Ive been away. Well, I can safely say when I stayed there with John there was nothing to report except for a noisy badger and a few bats. ;)

I totally agree with him though there is absoloubtley no way in or out of there without making any noise and I will give it a good go next time I go over there and see what happens. I might even set myself up high in a tree and watch over to see if anything happens from up there. Let alone setting a few trip wires about the place too. Time to get the old ghillie suit out I think. :)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
UPDATE!!!!

Well, this is the first time that I've had chance to go and track out friend and find any evidence. It's rained here for days on the trot, so finding any tracks would have been slim to say the least. Not entirely a wasted journey though as I found this trigger that he'd made...

DSC07550.jpg

It's obviously been there for a few months at least judging by the mould growing on it, but is was very well made, and the carving was spot on. This obviously means he is a bushcrafter or a follower of Tom Browns doctrine, as some of us think. I left it in situ and didn't disturb it.

The next piece of evidence I found got me really chuffed, as I now know something personal about him. Can you see it....

DSC07551.jpg

He obviously likes pistachios....

DSC07552.jpg

I found quite a few areas containing these, so I now know where he likes sitting too.

I'm enjoying this game.

Smat

Aug 10, 2010
East Sussex
This thread is excellent :D (though having yet to go camping at all and pretty much resigned to going on my own as I haven't found anyone willing.....it's certainly given me second thoughts.)

Looking forward to the next installment, JonathanD.

Dormouse

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2010
UK
Ooh that trigger's interesting! I've never used such a thing myself - what could it have been used for do you think?

From his sitting spots you found, were they positioned for watching you? (Or of course anyone else that "dared" to set up camp where you did).

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Ooh that trigger's interesting! I've never used such a thing myself - what could it have been used for do you think?

From his sitting spots you found, were they positioned for watching you? (Or of course anyone else that "dared" to set up camp where you did).

The sitting spots are well concealed and away from my camp spot. One is right on the edge of the stream. Got to give him his due, he leaves very little sign in an area where it is almost impossible not to. I didn't go to my usual spot but kept my distance due to the wet ground being impossible to walk on without leaving traces. I got to most places using fallen trees. To do a full recce of the area, It will have to be much drier with harder ground.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE