Fear of the dark

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rommy

Forager
Jun 4, 2010
Hull, East Yorkshire.
Err.. Rommy I'm assuming that this werewolf talk is not meant literally.

You're referring to a nutjob (to use the technical term!) who either thinks he is or wants to be, a werewolf, right?

I've wondered if something similar was behind my "Dog Bloke".

I don't wish to be alarmist or over-melodramatic, but JonathonD it might be a good idea not to investigate your site alone. The fact that your weirdo clearly wished to frighten you makes him someone to be very wary of. If you do check it out alone, prepare for the possibility of a confrontation so that if it happens you don't panic.

I've been reading up on Tom Brown on the net - there is something a bit intense/cult-like about his followers.

Yes I did refer to previous posts and did mention 'werewolf wannabies' . There are obviously very disturbed individuals around and that is what I was warning about I have no beliefs whatsoever about supernatural things and that everything has an explanation. Best regards, Geoff.

Dormouse

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2010
UK
Yikes! What the hell is that in the lake? Please tell me it's a Photoshop job. Or is it a bear corpse?

Last edited:

Dormouse

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2010
UK
Was too busy looking a the critter to notice the scenery! Nope, never seen it before. What is it?

Dormouse

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2010
UK
Ah thanks. It's interesting how corpses can look like other things (er..that's sounds a bit macabre doesn't it?) I remember seeing some theory about Nessie type sightings maybe being down to basking shark corpses. Or something along those lines.

But it ties in with the thread subject nicely - the fear of the unknown.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Ah thanks. It's interesting how corpses can look like other things (er..that's sounds a bit macabre doesn't it?) I remember seeing some theory about Nessie type sightings maybe being down to basking shark corpses. Or something along those lines.

But it ties in with the thread subject nicely - the fear of the unknown.

Exactly, when I saw the first pic, I thought it had to be a photoshop job. I only realised it was a bear from the second side view. Imagine if that floated past your camp during a full moon while you were fishing solo.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Got to remember too...How many animal corpses does anyone come across?

Not very many and I've spent a lot of time outdoors in varying habitats.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Exactly, when I saw the first pic, I thought it had to be a photoshop job. I only realised it was a bear from the second side view. Imagine if that floated past your camp during a full moon while you were fishing solo.

Just reminded me of Jungle Re in the water last year...

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
when you walk up the stairs tonight and out of the corner of you eye you see the loft hatch trap door quietly closing................

The loft's been converted Robbi...mind you the rest of the family are abroad and the dogs are looking at me funny...

'course they do that every Fri night..:p

horsevad

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2009
Denmark
Err.. Rommy I'm assuming that this werewolf talk is not meant literally.

(...)

The werewolf phenomenon is quite well documented - many people has witnessed and described the transformation from man to wolf with greath accuracy!

The cause of the phenomenon is actually purely biological...

In the middle ages - especially in a time known as "the little ice age" the summer temperature was quite lower than normal, and the amount of rainfall in summer and early fall was above normal.

This produced a set of conditions which were perfect for the fungus known as Claviceps Purpurea.

This fungus produces a toxin - namely an alkaloid called ergotamine.

Claviceps Purpurea attacks a diverse number of plant species, but especially rye.

This toxin is quite dangerrous for humans!

In the middle ages they had to rely on sun heat to dry the grains before storage. During the "Little Ice Age" there wasnt enough sun hours that the farmers could fully dry the harvested grain. Furthermore the amount of harvested produce were already lower than normal - because of the changed weather patterns. Therefore the farmers had no other choice than to use the grain - even if it was infected with fungus.

During that time there were no established knowledge as to the precise effects of the fungus, even though monks from the "Order of Saint Anthony" were somewhat succesfull in treating people who had developed poisoning symptomes.

Ergotamine can cause a lot of different symptomes in a human being, but one of the effects - when the toxin attacks the CNS - is hallucinations.

It is therefore no coincidence that all the legends and myths regarding werewolfs has their origin in this rather short timespan.

At the same time, this provides the reason for the many written accounts by otherwise respectable people who had witnessed the transformation of a human to a wolf-like creature. These people were fully convinced that they were acutally describing the truth as they saw it - which is one of the reasons that the myth became so well known.

By the way, lysergic acid diethylamide (maybe better known by its short-name LSD) is actually quite similar to ergotamine, and the key components from LSD is derived from ergotamine.

Ergotamine and LSD has been used in quite many ways.
CIA even contaminated a whole french city - to observe the effects on the general populace. This story is documented by a journalist named Albarelli. The Telegraph has a short explanation of the CIA-operation: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/7415082/French-bread-spiked-with-LSD-in-CIA-experiment.html

So, of couse werewolfs dosent exist in an objective sense, but there are certainly people who truthfully can say that they have witnessed such a creature.

This is just one of the reasons that observational reports and "sigtnings" of supposed supernatural phenomenons are of very little use in a scientific enviroment. Doubt everything. Even doubt that everything should be doubted....

//Kim Horsevad

Last edited:

Dormouse

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2010
UK
I know that lycanthropy is or at least was a recognised psychological pathology - people convinced that they transformed and acting accordingly.

I think the ergot contaminated rye bread has also been blamed for such things as a witches belief that they could fly. Why they had a broomstick (ahem) between their legs (cough) in the first place is a whole different subject!

But then they lacked online suppliers able to send out discretely wrapped packages!

Hmm.. back to mentally ill Dog Blokes and over-enthusiastic Tom Brown followers I think.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE