Favourite carry-able cooking pan and favourite mug and why for both

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Moondog55

Forager
Sep 17, 2023
Geelong Australia
That was us before the issue of the metal crusader, we poor soldiers just got the black plastic one.
So if you wanted a brew you had to unpack your mess tins?
Just out of interest what did you pack in said rectangular tins? We poor second class chocolate soldiers were never given instructions on that so we stuffed in whatever we could. Only the regulars got the steel kidney cup; we got an OD plastic thing so also had to brew-up in out mess tins so some of us carried tin can billys. Mind you a Landie or Studebaker had lots of space to stash kit so we didn't lack there, my second enlistment a decade later we all got better gear but the only thing I kept was the kidney cup

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
In such cases I would have shown them a Soviet aluminium field bottle and a Russian made copy of the classical German WW2 mess kit.

;)

Reactions: Ozmundo

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
So if you wanted a brew you had to unpack your mess tins?
Just out of interest what did you pack in said rectangular tins? We poor second class chocolate soldiers were never given instructions on that so we stuffed in whatever we could. Only the regulars got the steel kidney cup; we got an OD plastic thing so also had to brew-up in out mess tins so some of us carried tin can billys. Mind you a Landie or Studebaker had lots of space to stash kit so we didn't lack there, second enlistment a decade we all got better gear but the only thing I kept was the kidney cup
1980s and if I remember one messtin in pouch wash shave kit the other messin tin in the pother pouch tinned rations and other rations hexi stove next to that. Once in battalion similar but we were allowed to change to suit you, as long as you had the above. It was about living with that belt kit for 24/48 hours.

Most of us would buy ourselves the Dutch metal mug which was cheap enough

Last edited:
Reactions: Erbswurst

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I havent really developed a favourite, just used what was to hand.

I like my Bulldog billy set but that is probably due to conservative bull headedness than any particular virtue.

Cuckoo996

Sep 8, 2023
Wales
14cm Zebra Billy, and my Alpkit Mytimug.

Because they are both bombproof, one fits inside the other, and it's just what I've used the past 15+ years.
If it ain't broke don't fix it I guess

Reactions: Larry Robinson

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
Apart from military mess kits.

I really like the Wildo fold-a-cup, the large ones. I keep one in a pocket folded and it’s the right size to hold my head torch. Goes Hand in hand with an early morning or late night brew.

Not packable I suppose but small supermarket ali frying pan. Most of the coating has gone after much bacon and egg. Plus I can run around shouting “Wait for me Mr Frodo!”.

Reactions: Larry Robinson

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Favourite carryable pots and pans, depends on what im doing i guess, if im just out for a lightweight bimble and making a brew, then its either my Titanium mug and a home made alcohol stove.

53437311253_558cc28df1_z.jpg

Or if wanting to have a brew and hot food, then the Crusader comes out

53437555044_c89815debc_z.jpg

Fixed area for the day with no fire would be the Swedish Cook Kit or Crusader or both

53437373888_6c785eae6e_z.jpg

A fixed camp with fire will see the old faithful Primus Litech pan come out (although its so light i do sometimes take it on bimbles for cooking up a bit of bacon or a wild herb omelette), the Litech is twinned with either some Zebra Pots or my old faithful pots as pictured.

53437234256_b6d25ac8b7_z.jpg

Sometimes though i go right back to my roots and repurpose an old bean can for boiling

53437311258_269de73882_z.jpg

and go proper "Bushcraft" and make stuff in the woods to suit

53437234286_4a1c645027_z.jpg

Megatramp

Feb 16, 2024
Ashfield
I don't have a favourite but last night I managed to snap the handle off the folding pan I was eating out of. I've had it since I was 13 and almost shed a tear.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Takes deep breath.....my name is Barney and I'm camping cook pot-aholic....

Aaah that's better. Feels good to get that out in the open!

I've read through this thread, cogitated, ruminated and meditated. Nope, can't come up with a favourite. It's a case of different horses for different courses. I have a shortlist though, so here goes...

The TBS 750ml pot is a great all rounder, probably comes out to play the most. I love that it nests with my nalgene bottle and has a bail arm for hanging over a fire.

The Crusader pot is also excellent and has cooked many a camp meal including a lovely risotto on last months camp. It loses points though because of it's heft, slightly awkward size and for being a little less versatile than the TBS pot.

The Pathfinder Bushpot (Mors Pot clone, but in s/s) is another great cook pot and I love that it has a spout, no idea why, but I do! Having owned Zebra and Tatonka billy cans, I'd be so bold as to suggest that the Bushpot is the best of the billy cans on the market. Having a lid which stays on by itself, means that it also works great with a Rough Timba oven tray insert and can heat up a pasty or sausage roll in no time! Overall, it's right up there. It's durable, has a decent lid, a great bail arm which stays put, a cheeky little spout and is just the right size. It's the goldilocks of billy cans! It commands quite a lot of space in the rucksack though and therefore only comes out if I'm cooking something which warrants a 1.8l bushpot and that's not very often.

MSR Titan Kettle (original model) - new to me, but it was going very cheap in Go Outdoors recently and I was seduced by that spout again! I have high hopes for this pot and expect it to come on many hiking adventures when weight saving is needed. It's well loved by the wild camping community and I can see why - not sure on the updated model though, don't like the plastic lid handle.

Evernew Ti 6inch Frying pan - another bargain when it was 70% reduced at Tamarack Outdoors (never buy Ti at full price folks, keep your eyes peeled for those sales!) It's only a few months old but has already seen a lot of use and works every bit as well as my cast iron frying pans.

Those pots and pans represent the favourites from my collection and those which I can't ever imagine selling, but I couldn't single out one as a favouite due to their slightly differing purpose.

Other noteworthy pots and pans include:

Stanley Adventure Frying pan - It's great for frying eggs and also as an emergency table tennis bat. Really well made bit of kit if a little on the heavy side.

Unbranded 6 inch cast iron pan. Bought in TK Maxx for not a lot of money. Cast iron is in my opinion one of the best surfaces to cook on. Just really heavy to lug around in the rucksack. Used sparingly, but definitely a keeper.

Eagle Kettle. don't get me started on the spout, it's stupendous. Bit of a one trick pony though and is reserved for those times when I want to spoil myself and be all gentrified.

Trangia 27 HA cookset. The cookset that I should I use more often but don't because it's a bit bulky. Everyone should have a Trangia cookset in their collection though. It's an almost century old design for a very good reason!

Apologies for the long winded response. It felt very cathartic though. Time to brew up...!

Last edited:

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
How do you get on with TBS cup over the fire, heard it warps easily ?

Absolutely fine. I've used mine on multiple camps over several years now (my youtube channel will atest to that too!). I've hung it over the flame or placed it directly in the fire and it's yet to show any signs of warping.

It's well made and feels like quite a decent gauge of steel so I can only imagine that those who have experienced warping must have used it in some extremely hot fires?

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Absolutely fine. I've used mine on multiple camps over several years now (my youtube channel will atest to that too!). I've hung it over the flame or placed it directly in the fire and it's yet to show any signs of warping.

It's well made and feels like quite a decent gauge of steel so I can only imagine that those who have experienced warping must have used it in some extremely hot fires?
Good to know from someone who uses it, that’s it’s a good product. Probably right with how it was damaged with improper usage

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE