Favorite Kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WoodMan

Forager
Jan 18, 2008
Norfolk
.275 Rigby - older than both of us put together and poetry in rifle form

I've got one of those, well its a Westley Richards but the calibre is .275 Rigby, its 100 years old this year. I hardly ever use it because the ammunition is a bit hard to come by and expensive and I have lost interest in reloading. I keep thinking about selling it but its just a nice thing to have.

As for the list of favourite items:
German Shorthaired Pointers (x2)
Very rare DPM Swanndri
Swarovski 7x42 SLC's
Swarovski spotting scope
small buck knife
Lundhags (x3 prs)
Laptop - because I'm a grumpy old sod with no 'real' friends!

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
swedish army triangia
my zippo lighter
old raf 1950 haversack
tilly hat
swiss army knife

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
hexi stove (its reliable and cheapest of my ten stoves)
SAK (using the ranger now recently upgraded my 20 year old one)
going out on a limb here and chosing my gerber pack axe (changed from GB wildlife hatchet) because its way more portable and does what i need splits wood for small fire.
bahco saw
and my polish army laavu

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
Hmmm...
Bearing in mind that 'favourite' isn't always the most practical...my Force Ten Classic mk5 (gotta dig the stealth orange) :)

Vaude Tec Rock rucksack (heat sealed seams & totally waterproof...would hold 30l of water ;) )
Lundhags boots (circa 1986)
British Army clasp knife
Swedish Army Trangia
Canon G10
Cold Steel Bushman
Ikea cutlery drainer

And having just looked at this list..I think bombproof seems to feature highly in my mind when choosing kit...probably because I have a deep seated fear of just how clumsy I can be!

Cheers
Sack

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Hmmm...
Bearing in mind that 'favourite' isn't always the most practical...my Force Ten Classic mk5 (gotta dig the stealth orange) :)

Vaude Tec Rock rucksack (heat sealed seams & totally waterproof...would hold 30l of water ;) )
Lundhags boots (circa 1986)
British Army clasp knife
Swedish Army Trangia
Canon G10
Cold Steel Bushman
Ikea cutlery drainer

And having just looked at this list..I think bombproof seems to feature highly in my mind when choosing kit...probably because I have a deep seated fear of just how clumsy I can be!

Cheers
Sack

The ikea drainer... probably the best thing they have ever sold! :)

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
I doubt the combined might of the bushcraft community causes more than a statistical blip... but here's hoping.

Yes, I suppose it's one of those items that won't be replaced regularly either...as I said, bombproof. However, it still makes me smile whenever I see one in someone's trolley

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Mine is quite possibly my Alpkit Gourdon 20 litre day sack / drybag. Its my usual walking sack all year round these days and is light enough for challenge events where you might be moving fast so want something very light (600g it weighs). Its not really my favourite but its the one thing that gets used most I reckon.

My favourites are probably the stuff I like but don't really use. Kinda like you see something and think "hey1 That's cool!". So you get it and never actually use it much if at all. I think for me the honey stove is like that. Also I know I want an mkettle and Evernew DX stove kit with the evernew burner and the trivet too from BPL-UK. I know they are cool kit and I want them and they would immediately become my favourite kit but I also know that my go to stove will always be the little primus micron with reliable PZ ignition. So light and has never, ever let me down. Why can't I see this as my favourite? I think it could be that the others have fire in them that is fuelled by wood!! If primus ever made a light stove that you fed wood into and out came gas for the burner I am sure that would be the only way I'd make a primus gas stove my favourite. It is purely functional without any extras like interesting orange flames to watch.

I once had a long discussion over art vs artifice. What it was about we were sitting outside a pub where there were railings on the river edge. They were decorated. The railings were functional so were artifice but it had decoration which was unnecessary to the function. That meant the railings were art as much as function. You could have put cheap scaffolding poles in and it would have had the same function being met. I think with my favourites it is a degree of the unecessary to them that grabs my attention. If that makes sense. Another drunken pub conversation that doesn't make sense sober no matter how much you try to justify it. :D

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
Mine is quite possibly my Alpkit Gourdon 20 litre day sack / drybag. Its my usual walking sack all year round these days and is light enough for challenge events where you might be moving fast so want something very light (600g it weighs). Its not really my favourite but its the one thing that gets used most I reckon.

My favourites are probably the stuff I like but don't really use. Kinda like you see something and think "hey1 That's cool!". So you get it and never actually use it much if at all. I think for me the honey stove is like that. Also I know I want an mkettle and Evernew DX stove kit with the evernew burner and the trivet too from BPL-UK. I know they are cool kit and I want them and they would immediately become my favourite kit but I also know that my go to stove will always be the little primus micron with reliable PZ ignition. So light and has never, ever let me down. Why can't I see this as my favourite? I think it could be that the others have fire in them that is fuelled by wood!! If primus ever made a light stove that you fed wood into and out came gas for the burner I am sure that would be the only way I'd make a primus gas stove my favourite. It is purely functional without any extras like interesting orange flames to watch.

I once had a long discussion over art vs artifice. What it was about we were sitting outside a pub where there were railings on the river edge. They were decorated. The railings were functional so were artifice but it had decoration which was unnecessary to the function. That meant the railings were art as much as function. You could have put cheap scaffolding poles in and it would have had the same function being met. I think with my favourites it is a degree of the unecessary to them that grabs my attention. If that makes sense. Another drunken pub conversation that doesn't make sense sober no matter how much you try to justify it. :D

Haha how true :)

Cheers
Sack

PS. Paul it's the first (smaller) of the two Ikea pots that you posted

Soundmixer

Forager
Mar 9, 2011
Angus, Scotland
Tilley T3 (15 years and counting)
Swanndri ranger shirt (10 years and counting)
WR Case Peanut (CV yellow handle, sharpest knife I've ever had)
Paramo Fuera windproof smock - Just a nice jacket. Showerproof, windproof, packs really small.
Bandana - can't leave home without one
Norton IB6 oilstone - This is why my Peanut is so sharp!

All basic kit, but proven.

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
Hobo stove kit (12cm zebra, a strainer, stainless mug + bits n bobs)
Wetterlings axe (SFA copy)
FGYT spoon knife
Bahco folding saw
58 mug and bottle

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
My favorites are..

Zebra billy can
Hobo stove- the ikea type
buck river knife from grumit
SAK
Mora knife from trunks
fire steel made by off road mick
nato water bottle and crusader cup- knock spots off the copies
us army canteen and mug
nalgene bottle and tatonka mug
platypus bottles
folding mug
whitebox stove made by shewie:D

Last edited:

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Old Kit

Karrimor Alpiniste 65 ltr rucksac, 1990.
Original Karimat. Two tone blue/yellow. 1980s vintage.

Newer Kit <10yrs old
Old Town Cahrles River canoe
Dutch Oven
Swiss Army knife
Swedish Mil Trangia
Kelly Kettle

Vintage purple Alpiniste ? Made by a nice lady in Accrington. Never bettered. I remember ogling them in the catalogue when I was about ten. Now I have finally got one too. Daughter is wearing it today on her Silver DofE and it's supremely comfortable and won't come back broken unlike the Vango rucksacks the others have.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE