Todays ten minute project.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Pic heavy.
I've been meaning to make a new hobo stove for a while now, and had the chance today. I've used the Ikea cutlery drainer for a few years now, and have always been pleased with it's performance, but not it's size. So I had a look in my bits bin and found an old coffee tin I had earmarked for a billy. I drilled a series of air holes around the bottom of the tin then cut out three tabs on the top and a feed hole in the front using a 4" angle grinder with a thin disc. Surprisingly my Trangia burner fitted perfectly inside the hobo stove. So timefor two test burns.
Using the Trangia burner first I got 250ml of water to a rolling boil in just over 7 minutes, which is not too shabby. Next, using 1 3" offcut of 2"x2" split down to small pieces, I got the same amount of water to a rolling boil in 12 minutes, which again is acceptable. Both boils used the same Globe Trotter pan uncovered. The whole set packs into a small pouch and weighs 400g. Much handier than the Ikea set, this will be my go to set now.

small%20hobo%20001.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

small%20hobo%20002.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

small%20hobo%20003.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

small%20hobo%20004.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

small%20hobo%20008.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

small%20hobo%20009.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

small%20hobo%20010.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

small%20hobo%20011.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

small%20hobo%20012.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

small%20hobo%20013.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

small%20hobo%20014.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

small%20hobo%20015.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

small%20hobo%20016.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Size comparison next to my wifes drainer. The lid can also be used as a cup or scoop.

hobo%20001.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Excellent stuff, one of my favourite pastimes is messing around with stainless steel stuff from the charry; bit hard on tools and hands, though.........

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Good stuff, Colin.

I'm a big fan of the GT pans (and the stove; my first compact stove,). If you put the smaller one inside the larger one but with both the same way up, the smaller will serve as a lid. The lifting lug will stop the smaller falling right into the larger. Might shorten your cooking times a little.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Hey thanks for that Ian. I like the pans too, very easy to clean. I was gifted the set about 10 years ago, and it's a cracking stove and pans set, sadly you can't get the cartridges anymore. Here are some pics.

gt%20001.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

gt%20002.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

gt%20003.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
At some point in the production Camping Gaz offered the panset with a lifting lug on both sides of the smaller pot. This makes it even better as a lid and you can keep stuff warm in the top pan whilst cooking in the lower. They're out there but by no means as common as the single lug variety.

gt2lugs.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE