Fatwood/Maya dust

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RM27

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 17, 2010
UK
I am just getting into bushcraft and i have been reading about maya dust, im not really into the idea of paying for something i can get myself so my question is does the tree i take it from have to be dead? also how can i identify the trees as im not sure how to tell tree from tree!

TaTanka

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 28, 2010
Texas
It's easier if the tree is dead. Basically split the limb you are using and collect the pith and shave it down and you get maya dust.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
It's easier if the tree is dead. Basically split the limb you are using and collect the pith and shave it down and you get maya dust.

Eh? I don't think that's what they call maya dust across the pond. Maya dust is ground up fatwood. Fatwood comes from resins that collect in the base of a tree or at the base of the limbs of conifers (pine knots) that have died. Basically you want a dead tree. I've heard a lot of bad things about maya dust so I'm thinking it's much better to carry fatwood than maya dust. If you scrape a stick of fatwood you will get the dust and it will light via a ferro rod. I think the canned maya dust has become so oxidized and some of the volatiles have evaporated that it does not light as easily. This is based on what I've read because I've never actually purchased maya dust.

This is a pine knot that has been split open. You can see the dark resin that has accumulated and you can smell it as well. Note the hole in the upper left corner of the image where the knot was removed.

rat3v2i.jpg

RM27

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 17, 2010
UK
Thanks for the replys, much apreciated!
Thats one nice looking knife by the way..

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I would certainly not bother buying it.
Waste of money.
You can sometimes find fatwood sticks in garden centers as "natural firelighters" usually stocked near the chimneas.
I pick them up now and again, usually for a quid per pack.
Shaving fresh from a stick gives far better results than the tin of powder.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE