Fallkniven H1 3G

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushmeister

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2005
Leicestershire
OK what do people think of the Fallkniven H1 3G. I think it is more bushcraft (probably) than the F1, as it has a scandi grind etc. Anyone got any experience of it - especially in the 3G steel?

Cheers!

Native Justice

Forager
Apr 8, 2008
Littleton, CO USA
The H1 is basically a hunting knife first a bushcraft knife second. The F1 is a far, far better bushcraft knife than the H1. As for the 3G steel, it's really, really good steel. Some think it's a more difficult steel to sharpen, I don't. With the convex edges they put on the blades, it takes very little to restore an edge. The trick, like any other knife and with any other steel, is to not let it get blunt. Maintain the edge once or twice a week with a loaded strop and its good to go with a hair whittling edge again. I have the TK1 and the PHK and love them and the 3G steel. Superb knives with tremendous steel. As for your choice, either knife should suit your outdoor needs admirably. Best of luck in your purchase.

samthedog

Jun 12, 2009
Norway
I know I'm a bit late to this thread (and probably should introduce myself... however nativejustice would know me from knifeforums...), but you may find the H1 in 3G perfect for you. I found the F1 had too small a handle and the PHK was a little too long for me. The H1 strongly mirrors the scandinavian knife design that has been used in the forest and woods for hundreds of years. These knives had to do it all, from skinning to carving a spoon. I live in Norway atm and I find it suprising that the H1 looks similar in shape to the knives I see in the museum that are a couple hundred years old.

Paul.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The H1 is the knife the owner of Fallkniven opts for. He reckons it is the best, The Ratbag uses one, or he did before he got the Enzo, and it could do everything the F1 can. It comes up razor sharp topo, no idea if Ratty has the 3G version or not though, I think his is laminated.

leon-1

I used to use the H1, it's a very good solid knife. I can't tell you about the steel as I bought one ten years ago and they didn't have that steel in Fallkniven production then. The knife is very much the equal to the F1 though.

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
The H1 is the knife the owner of Fallkniven opts for. He reckons it is the best, The Ratbag uses one, or he did before he got the Enzo, and it could do everything the F1 can. It comes up razor sharp topo, no idea if Ratty has the 3G version or not though, I think his is laminated.

Yeah, I really like it. It is a convex grind, but although the blade is about as thick as the F1 at the spine, there is a kind of scandi grind to thin it down before the convex grind really starts. The result is that the convex grind is less extreme than the F1, so I think it works better for carving wood - it's still no sloyd though! I also like that it has a more useable point than the F1, so it's better for field prep of fish and game etc.

Mine was a blade blank, so I can't comment on the shape of the handle on the stock model, but it certainly looks a little more comfortable than the F1! And mine is laminated VG10, not 3G, but it holds an edge really well and easy to keep sharp just using a loaded strop.

HTH

Rat

Bushmeister

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2005
Leicestershire
Ok so ended up getting an H1 with the 3G metal. Then I have done what a lot of you may think is a crazy thing - I have ground it down to a full zero scandi grind. It was fairly easy as the knife is nowhere near as convex as the F1 anyway (although the 3G steel was a pig to grind even on my waterstones!)

The result is the steel and utility of the H1 knife with my preferred grind - it is scary sharp and a wonderful user. A lot of effort and expense (even though I got it second hand) for a knife though.

Cheers for your input guys,

BM

samthedog

Jun 12, 2009
Norway
Ok so ended up getting an H1 with the 3G metal. Then I have done what a lot of you may think is a crazy thing - I have ground it down to a full zero scandi grind. It was fairly easy as the knife is nowhere near as convex as the F1 anyway (although the 3G steel was a pig to grind even on my waterstones!)

The result is the steel and utility of the H1 knife with my preferred grind - it is scary sharp and a wonderful user. A lot of effort and expense (even though I got it second hand) for a knife though.

Cheers for your input guys,

BM

Nice one mate. They are a cracking knige. I left mine as a convex and get on great with it. It is definately a keeper, although i do suffer from knife lust...

So, where are the pictures?

Paul.

Bushmeister

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2005
Leicestershire
OK finally got around to taking some pics - I know it took me ages. Now bear in mind it is a user so I haven't bothered to mirror finish it or anything. I ground out the convex to a zero scandi last year. I had to take off a fair amount of steel to do it and the resultant blade profile is much much thinner. Even with a solid 5mm spine.

Since then I have put a micro-bevel on it, because even fallkniven 3G steel ground this shallow can deform when carving oak! Besides after spending a lot of time using zero ground scandi knives, I find a micro bevel (and we are talking micro here i.e. similar to the one Ray puts on by stropping and passing over a car window) really lengthens time required between sharpening and gives the edge a lot more durability, for no noticeable loss in cutting/carving properties (IMHO).

Now I have a scandi grind with micro-bevel in one of the best steels and one of my favourite blade shapes. Combine this with the no no-nonsense handle and this is my favourite user! Thanks. BM

H13G.jpg

H13G1.jpg

Hi3G.jpg

Last edited:

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Fallkniven are great. I used my F1 for two weeks on my Canadian trip and found the steel was ideal. Holds a great edge.
I much prefer a convex grind to scandi now.
I haven't handled an H1, but I don't think you can go wrong with anything from this company. The handle of the H1 is more oval shaped than the F1, which is a good thing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE