Fallkniven F1 with Black Micarta handle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
Hi,

I'm looking at this knife and wondering whether it is "stainless" or not (appreciate nothing really is....). Does anyone know if it's as prone to rusting as 01 tool steel?

I'm thinking of using it around water quite a bit (canoer, yes!).....

Any information appreciated...

Thanks,

Phil

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
It's much better than 01 for rusting. Vg10 stainless in the middle which i think is 14% chromium which makes it stainless and i think it's sandwiched between 420J which is i think is about 18% chromium and tough (low carbon)

So yeah Stainless:D

leon-1

Hi,

I'm looking at this knife and wondering whether it is "stainless" or not (appreciate nothing really is....). Does anyone know if it's as prone to rusting as 01 tool steel?

I'm thinking of using it around water quite a bit (canoer, yes!).....

Any information appreciated...

Thanks,

Phil

Yep all of the range from A2 through A1, S1, F1, H1 and WM1 are made from stainless, not all are laminates (the WM1 isn't) and I think they are going to be changeing the steel as some are appearing with VG3. All are however classed as "super steels" and are stainless.

The F1 is a good knife, but some prefer the H1, for boatwork the H1 is a more solid choice in many ways as it has a grippier handle made from Kraton.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Or, as an alternative, if your definately pursuing the 'F1', you could always go for this

http://www.outdoorcode.co.uk/catalo...d=439&osCsid=a1259920ab80dc6678b7ca210e89cbba

Then you could stick some Micarta scales on it yourself or get some one to do it for you and commision a leather sheath. This will allow you to choose which colour and type of Micarta you want, how it is shaped and get a awesome sheath done.

Ball park figure? Materials, Micarta could be £10 - £15, add about £5 max for fibre liners (an option) and what, £20-£30 for a custom sheath. Add that to £55 for a blade blank, thats a custom F1 done to your spec for around £100 -£110. That means you've got some change.:D

leon-1

Or, as an alternative, if your definately pursuing the 'F1', you could always go for this

http://www.outdoorcode.co.uk/catalo...d=439&osCsid=a1259920ab80dc6678b7ca210e89cbba

Then you could stick some Micarta scales on it yourself or get some one to do it for you and commision a leather sheath. This will allow you to choose which colour and type of Micarta you want, how it is shaped and get a awesome sheath done.

Ball park figure? Materials, Micarta could be £10 - £15, add about £5 max for fibre liners (an option) and what, £20-£30 for a custom sheath. Add that to £55 for a blade blank, thats a custom F1 done to your spec for around £100 -£110. That means you've got some change.:D

Jed, don't forget fittings (things like bolsters, Corby's, Loveless or mosaic pins), resins, consumables (sandpaper and abrasives) and then time. There are also tools to be considered, but you don't need a massive amount.

The pins that they use on the production made F1 are Corby bolts, they used to use green micarta scales, don't know if that is still an option. If you make it yourself it will cost about £110 in materials alone (that's inclusive of shipping), maybe a little more, but this does not take into account the amount of time that it takes to make one.

I would suggest making one over a few weekends.:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE