Excited about a knife project.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Im quite excited by this little project Ive got underway.

It begins with an Alan Wood knife, whose provenace is a bit of a mystery to me. It seems to be one half of a 'Norris Set' named after the rifle builder Mike Norris. For Gralloching,deer.
The steel was RWL-34 at Rockwell C-61-62.

Alternatively, it could be a model which Alan took a liking to and made a few dozen others, a few of which were 12c-27 sandvik.
The Handle material seems to be antique ivory phenolic laminate which is washable for the hygiene needs of professional stalkers.

I wanted some scimshaw work on it, so approached Jo Ryall, and have finally decided I'd like to make a political point, after reading Monbiots book Feral, and keeping an eye on Paul Listers reintroduction of boar, wolves, and other apex predators into remote areas of Scotland like Aladale. And supporting the re-wilding argument.

So Im going to have a wolf or wolves, scrimshawed onto the sides, chasing a stag, with a scottish backdrop. Possibly in colour, [depending on cost] **forget that £3k to £6k!!!!

This is the knife.

cache_2447462618.jpg

I'll post some piccies when its done.

Its s lefty heath, because you carry your rifle over the right shoulder, if your right handed. I doubt It'll ever see more than paunching rabbits with me though.

What do you think of the knife? Better than the fallniven I was after?

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Looks like a useful design. I'm sure Alan could tell you its provenance if you drop him a line.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Wow, that was quick, got a reply from Alan Wood.

Hi Dave,
It actually doesn't have a model name as it is simply a smaller version of my Stalker model. I've only made a few over the last couple of years for lads who do muntjac and roe. The full size knife has a 4.8" blade and is 9.4" overall. I believe I remember who ordered this one with the left handed sheath. He is a stalker but buys a lot of knives and sells a few unused.
Chances are it will be in RWL-34 but I used to get 4mm 12c27 for a short while so it could be either. My own stalking knife is in the latter and I haven't had any issues with it.
I hope you can get to use it soon.
All the Best,
Alan.

If its in RWL-34 I'll be quite chuffed.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Thats a lovely slender knife that dave. Perfectly fit for purpose

Yeh, thats the conclusion Ive come to myself mate. It is perfect for gralloching roe or muntjac. Unfortunately I dont do either. [Something I'd love to do though, deerstalking]
I can understand why people collect Alan Wood knives, and just leave them in drawers, they really are special.
I cant see me using this, unless I somehow get a FAC, Rifle, DSC1 and then go stalking. Its mint.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE