European Shore Crab - Carcinus maenas, Any recipes?

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Just returned from a week on Loch Etive where I tried out my crab trap (Ronny Sunshines crayfish crab trap) with great success. Caught numerous Carcinus maenas but I have not eaten this species before. Has anyone here actually eaten this species? Is it edible? If it is how did you prepare it?
Alan

Last edited:

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
They are fished commercially so certainly edible. As with all less beautiful seafood; it's worth looking for French or Portuguese recipe ideas as you can be sure they'll eat it.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Thanks for the recipe. It's a bit too complicated for my camp cooking skills to be honest, but it has given me ideas. To use them seems to be forget collecting the meat as with edible crab/lobster, more infuse soup with whole crab.
Alan

trixx

Jul 14, 2010
Scotland
You can pick the meat out of them, but because they are considerably smaller than the brown edible crabs it's a labour-intensive operation. No reason not do do it, though.

Many of the recipes for smaller crabs like green shore crabs and velvet swimmers involve using them as the basis for stocks or soups. Commercially, they are often processed into crab pastes/pates.

Nick93

Dec 27, 2009
Devon, England
There is a recipe in the river cottage edible seashore book that uses them to make a shore crab bisque. Ive wanted to try this for a while now..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE