Estury fishing law

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
As I understand it, estuaries are covered under the sea/shore fishing rules (i.e. no license required) up to a specific point determined by the local authority, at which point you do need a license.... :)

Unless someone else here is local, your best bet may be to call your local authority and ask them at what point the estuary falls under the rod licensing laws... (It'll be a sub-department of DEFRA)

The general rule of thumb is that if the water is 'brackish' (i.e. salt and fresh water are still mixing), then it's OK to fish without a license - but if you are at all uncertain, check with the local authority. Local fishing shops are an invaluable source of info for these things too.

ODG

Greywolf

Forager
Jun 5, 2005
East Riding of Yorkshire
There are plenty of folks casting into the waters during low tide around the Humber Bridge supports, maybe if you had a chat with one of those folks it would clarify the situation?

Greywolf

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Pignut said:
Anyone know if i need a licence to fish an estury?

Namely the humber!!

Thanks all

I'd say no licence required, but make sure your tetanus and Hepatitis jabs are in date and watch out for floating brown trouts!!! :D

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Greywolf said:
There are plenty of folks casting into the waters during low tide around the Humber Bridge supports, maybe if you had a chat with one of those folks it would clarify the situation?

Greywolf
I think they,re looking for coins, hoyyed off the Bridge.
Or maybe fishing around for a new rugger coach.

Ceeg

Greywolf

Forager
Jun 5, 2005
East Riding of Yorkshire
One of the few places in the world you will see this

196387798.jpg

:lmao:

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Ok, in most estuarys the above is true. Generally you will not need a license if fishing for sal****er fish that are visiting such as bass and mullet. Bear in mind that any bass here are likely to be schoolie bass and are thus undersize (current regs are 40cm afaik), though they provide good catch and release sport. If you are targetting freshwater fish that stray down there then you will probably need a license. Either way, some angling clubs have the fishing rights for these areas and so you'll need a permit off them whether you need a license or not. Again, check with local tackle shops, and if you buy something worthwhile, you might pick up some good tackle/bait/spot advice from them...

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
You don't need a licence on the humber. You can basically fish where you like (with in reason). But you do need your wits about you some of the mud flats are very dangerous. I've fished them, one minute your in mud up to your ankles next your up to your nuts. I speak from experience :eek: . This is a place you need to buddy up Dave. East Halton is good for codling but the weather is still too warm yet. The water temp needs to drop a good bit before the cod move up the river.If you want a crack at some bass try spurn head there's a deep channel just off the beach and they move along that. Seafishing round here is very potluck, you have to be in the right place at the right time or forget it.
If you fancy a nights piking I'm thinking of going next friday night. Put the tipi up, light the stove, fill me kuksa with rum and you never know I might even take me fishing rods :lmao: :lmao:

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Thanks all! some good info!

Martin might take you up on that! need to get that bloody book back to you as it is! :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE