Estonia Kit List - Comments Please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stafass

Mar 20, 2012
Planet Earth
Just spent a night in a woods in East of Estonia. Week before, all nights was around -1C. And the night I was out, was -5. My sleeping bag limit -3 so I am glad I took woolen blanket with me :) Heard a wolf, heard hogs, was a bit uncomfortable. Had my knife and pepper spray ready if needed, so all in all it was a nice time.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Just spent a night in a woods in East of Estonia. Week before, all nights was around -1C. And the night I was out, was -5. My sleeping bag limit -3 so I am glad I took woolen blanket with me :) Heard a wolf, heard hogs, was a bit uncomfortable. Had my knife and pepper spray ready if needed, so all in all it was a nice time.

That's awesome thanks for telling us!!
I can't wait to get out there next year!!
Forgive my ignorance but iv never been to Estonia so I'm not sure what to expect.
But are screw on gas canisters easily found over there?
And how does gas stand up in those sort of temperatures?

And also pepper spray, do is it something that's fairly easy to come across an would you recommend us getting some?

Thanks very much
Steve

Leave only footprints take only memories

stafass

Mar 20, 2012
Planet Earth
If honestly, i bought my gas canister in Lithuania and brought it to Estonia, but I am sure that you will be able to find these things in some hunting, fishing or traveling equipment stores. There are different gas mixes, there is some info about them http://www.scunnered.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Low_Temp_Gas_Stove.htm Pepper spray, in my opinion is must have. As i told, there was wolfs or foxes or some loose dogs and defend yourself from them with knife could be not easy. Pepper spray is easy to find in almost any hunting or guns store.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
If honestly, i bought my gas canister in Lithuania and brought it to Estonia, but I am sure that you will be able to find these things in some hunting, fishing or traveling equipment stores. There are different gas mixes, there is some info about them http://www.scunnered.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Low_Temp_Gas_Stove.htm Pepper spray, in my opinion is must have. As i told, there was wolfs or foxes or some loose dogs and defend yourself from them with knife could be not easy. Pepper spray is easy to find in almost any hunting or guns store.

That's brilliant advice!!! Thanks very much!!

Paul 'bare thrills' has found a hyper market type place near Tallinn Airport, so I'm hoping that we can some supply's such as pepper spray from there.

Also earlier in this thread it was mentioned about bear canisters, do you also think that this is a must too?
Sorry for all the questions my friend, feel free to tell me to get stuffed lol.

All the best
Steve

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom

Cheers Stafass. There is a maktasport near the airport which should provide most of what we need fuel wise, but there is a hunting shop in the same shopping centre so hopefully they will have pepper spray.

Sounds like you had fun in the woods. Im assuming the dogs you heard were raccoon dogs?

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Cheers Stafass. There is a maktasport near the airport which should provide most of what we need fuel wise, but there is a hunting shop in the same shopping centre so hopefully they will have pepper spray.

Sounds like you had fun in the woods. Im assuming the dogs you heard were raccoon dogs?

And a La Senza !!! :cool:

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Come to think of it i might not need pepper spray. A man dressed in frilly knickers hanging from a tree in a ready made bear hot dog hammock should keep me safe :D

BTW Steve, the shangri has arrived :). Its a beauty and oh so light

stafass

Mar 20, 2012
Planet Earth
There are bears in Estonia, check out information on the area you will be spending time and decide if you need bear canister or not. If i would know that there are bears in the area, I would think of most security :)

Racoon dogs, no, most likely it was a wolf, course there was lots of hogs, rabbit and moose footprints. And I think wolf was going after some of them. Anyway, it was a bit scary to hear lots of noise but not seeing anything :D

Hope my advices will help :)

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Ill be using a bear bag when in the east of the country as thats where most of the bear population lives. It is always fun with the demons in the night Stafass. Boar do make some horrendous noise at night. I was in southern france this summer and they were destroying grape vines in the night. I like the noise though. keeps you on your toes and adds to the excitement.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Tbh it's not the noises coming into camp I worry about, it's the poor creatures that surround us and the noise that comes OUT of camp!!!

Iv herd on the grapevine out very own bare makes some horrendous noises in the night lol!!!

I think maybe we should try and see what sort of prices bear canisters go for in Estonia and then make a decision on where we get 1 from.
But I think the bag idea you had was spot on!!

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Looks like there may be a new addiction to the Baltic crew......

I always thought a Teepee should make the final cut ;)

Who'd have thought though that Mr Thrills esq would snaffle one this good looking.

stafass

Mar 20, 2012
Planet Earth
Hey, spent this night in the woods. In my old camping place found this fresh marks :)

jneBzpPH5R1N1.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE