Estonia Kit List - Comments Please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Who's tagging along Paul?
maybe take some magic biscuits ala twodogs instead of hexi as a back up?

Ill let him tell you once stuff is confirmed :D

I have a ton of beeswax biscuits so will compare the weight with the tinder card and go with whichever gives me the better fuel density. I trust both though to do the business.

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
only had a brief look at this thread, but i,m envious you have the oppertunity to have an adventure like this,..

the whole kit list debate can always end up with two questions,...........

1. how confident are you??

2. how comfortable do you want to be??

i question my self before and after every outing, and the kit list follows my answers..

the confidence part for example, are you confident enough in your skill / knowledge to stay warm with an open tarp/fire setup? (leave the tent and arctic bag at home)

are you confident that you could make safe enough water to stay hydrated every day in the area your in? (insert answer as needed and leave relevant kit behind)

then run over all the questions again asking yourself how if the level of comfort you are left with is adequate,

you do go round in circles a bit with it all,

to sum up for me,....

i really enjoy the times when a piece of kit becomes redundant.

Last edited:

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
A good way of looking at it mate. I know for sure there are items that i want to take rather than need to take but if i can be comfortable and still carry it then all is good. If i cant carry it, ive no doubt stuff will get ditched.

You know when i first started looking at places to go in March my preferred option was Scotland. I got chatting with a few of the lads at a meet and they outlined how expensive it is to drive up there and back etc. I reckoned my fuel costs would be £300 so Estonia is actually working out cheaper. The flight has cost me £100 and a hire car £113. Thats not a lot of cash for a week in some great environments.

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
sounds ace!,..and at that money makes sense too.

i,m looking a Sweden next year,. but i'd drive i reckon.

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
No problem.
The most important thing is that you feel safe and confident. Never bring less equipment than you feel safe with.
Raikay got some good points. Confidence comes with experience.
It is close to 30 years since I had my first solo overnighter at the age of 8 (150 meters from our house, but still:) ). I have been through all phases, from the kit and brand obsession, through the US-Army gadget period and now back to basic.

This is the area I grew up in (should be your next destination;-) ):
http://ut.no/turomrade/rondane-og-alvdal-vestfjell
http://ut.no/turomrade/femundsmarka
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtXeS3m_7o8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jMKZCrobig

Last edited:

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
That looks stunning mate. Im always looking at the next adventure. Rather fancy Greenland next. I find the planning and research just as rewarding as the doing

I often look back to childhood camping. We used to take a big plastic tarp for the floor and throw our sleeping bags on it. Ok it was summer but it was very simple. Lying awake till the early hours watching shooting stars and having farting competitions :D

I lived on the edge of town and my front garden bordered the local farm. Sadly its all housing now

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
Theres plenty of nice places all over the world.
I have allways wanted to spend some time with the San people in Namibia, maybe one day.....

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Great news!!! Flight booked, time booked off work!!
Very much looking forward to accompanying mr thrills on this epic trip to Estonia!!
Thanks for letting me come Paul!!
All the best!!
P.s my kit list to follow lol

Leave only footprints take only memories

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Yes, Steve is the man. Its great to have some company and someone to share the experience with. Im currently squaring away kit for Northwood so will get some piccies taken. Think we need a signature icon for 'Baltic Crew' :D

Decon pot arrived safe and sound too mate. Many thanks

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
So its Steve coming with you then
cool
now we want kit list and photos please

Yep it's me!!!
Took a few days to get sorted as I had to clear with the boss, oh and work lol!!
I hope poor Paul knows what he is getting himself in to!! Just ask Pete lol!!
It's gonna be a great trip!!

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Does anyone have any tips they can give me for transporting the rucksack in the plane hold?
I was planning on putting my 70litre pack inside a massive footy hold all iv got. Will this work?
I seem to remember reading somewhere covering your pack in gaffa tape and stuff but I would rather not do that tbh.
Cheers
Steve

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I just put a cheap rain cover over mine covering most of the straps leaving one out as a grab and for lablels , never had a problem

Twodogs

Is that just any sort of rain cover mate or a proper rucksack cover?
I have one of the cheap highlander ruck sack covers that fit a few different sizes.
Do you wrap some cord round it or anything?

On another note, I have read your trips to Norway with jelousy I might add, have you ever had any problems carrying sharps in the plane hold?
I no Paul has checked the terms and condition with easy jet and its fine, but I was wondering if it was worth dropping them and email and printing it off to take with us.
Cheers
Steve

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Sam has been asking for piccies of kit laid out for inspection and as im getting ready to go out this weekend i thought id take some snaps. More to follow but here is the contents of my possibles bag. I was going to take the snugpak response pack originally but it weighs a pound with nothing in it so i swapped out for a sea to summit large silnylon washbag which has lots of storage and is strong and light.

20121108_140511.jpg

20121108_140536.jpg

And here is what lies inside.

20121108_141716.jpg

1st row: Petzl E lite, Lithium charger, Battery case with 4 spare 1/2 AA batteries wrapped in two ranger bands containing spare coin cells between them, EDC keyring with bottle opener, ferro rod, mini torch, mini alox, dome light for tent, shower attachment for ortlieb bag, dyneema cord

2nd row: uco reflector, alpkit crabs, 2 lighters, spork, loon and magfire tinder card.

3rd row, Kitchen sink, otom tick tweezers, 10amp battery, full size uco, multi purpose soap

bottom: knife and sharpening stone

More to follow later as i get stuff in order

Brew kit

Snowpeak 1400 ti pot with frypan lid, alpkit 750ml mug, microfibre cloth x2 and washing up sponge

20121108_143539.jpg

20121108_143612.jpg

Stove: element 2.2 ti woodburner

20121108_143747.jpg

Water treatment and Storage

Ortlieb 10l bladder
Thirst aid filter bag 1.5l - this is a change from a bottle based system as its lightewr and more packable
Milbank bag prefilter

20121108_145832.jpg

Navigation

Compass and mapcase / map

20121108_150521.jpg

Sleeping and clothes

a bit of tinkering still likely here but here's what i have so far

20121108_151116-1.jpg

Top row: sleeping bag - snugpak elite 4 shown as thats what im using this weekend - will be swapped out for down bag - spare underwear, socks, base layers - exped ul down mat, helsport bivvy shoes.

bottow row, RAF sleeka jacket and Jerven bag.

thats it for now, admin bag ive already packed but is usual fare. Tent will be arriving early Dec hopefully and will go in a 16l rocket on the front of my pack

20121108_153204.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE