Estonia Kit List - Comments Please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I dont disagree about the battery availability but the energy density of standard batteries means the weight would be double for the same 10 amp hours.

I think the stove issue comes down to having confidence in your ability to light fire in any conditions. Dry wood can always be had even if it means battoning out to get it. A lot of the state provided fire place areas in the park also have well stocked wood sheds with axes so on balance it shouldnt be a big issue.

Take a stove...please, on a solo trip your daft not to.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
Torches...Mixed views from the collective here :). My head torch will do 20 hours plus and takes coin cells so very light to carry spares. The quantum DD is capable of doing 40 hours on low and also has a 100 lumen mode too so im not too worried.

Dont think it can be used as a hot water bottle but i can pretty much use all water sources apart from salt water. I have an ortlieb bladder which i can fill from the canteen to give me up to 10l of clean safe water.

I am taking a spare set of clothes for the return trip. Everything will stink of smoke by the end of the trip even if i launder it myself so a spare set of gear is just a courtesy to folks who will have to share a plane with me. They will live in the hire car and will not be carried.

I have reasonable maps but will be picking up good ones on arrival. I have located a good outdoor shop near the airport where i can source them. I can read a map and get from A to B but my phone will be a backup GPS

Reading material is a good shout. Im undecided whether to take the kindle or get some real books. Kindle is light so that will probably win out and i can read by candle light.

Gaiters is also a good call and i think i will source some. like the ventile ones on ebay.

Thanks for your thoughts :)

How long is it dark for? If you have long low runtimes then thats ok. I find the discharge curve on coin cell lights to not be helpful for stuff like that, prefer them for emergency/back up use.

Didn't see the bottle. Its not a big deal if it doesn't hold hot water, just a nice additional bonus

Nae bother if clothes are in the car then, thought you were carrying them

Does your phone need signal to perform as a GPS?

Kindle all the way! More books, and you could even get some reference stuff on there

Boots is something i would like more info on. I currently have Scarpa goretex lined boots and they are cracking boots. I was hoping these with gaiters would see me right but clearly there seems to be a call for rubberised snow boots. Anyone who's done trips have thoughts please?

I find those boots are terrible for sweat! Goretex in itself is bad enough for sweat. I think if you're putting your boots in your shelter and they don't freeze then you're probably ok. Maybe take a few more tealights so you can burn one each night to heat up your shelter? Usually burn for around 4 hours so at least one per night?

stafass

Mar 20, 2012
Planet Earth
BareThrills, can't advise you about any other parks or so. Mostly I spent time in eastern Estonia. Johvi, Kuremäe, Toila, Narva. There is incredibly beautiful beach in Toila. If I am not mistaking, there is no other one like that in all Europe. Instead of sand, you will find tones of stones and fossils. Narva has a wonderfull castle and Kuremäe has famous convent. Anyway, all in all, Estonia is very beautiful and green country. Nice place for tourists and bushcrafters.

Last edited:

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
ive picked the egear headtorch based on some good reviews that say its light is pretty much constant for a 20 hour burn from 2 x ce2032. its making its way to me now from the states so ill give it a proper testing before finalising lights.

my phone does need a signal to work as a GPS but fortunately Estonia is blessed with full data coverage even 70 kilometers off the coast :D. Apparently the best in Europe.

ive just finished my 20 amp battery pack. Which works like a charm. 3 inch square and 1.5 inch depth. 5v 600 mah full usb out and 500 mah mini usb charging circuit in + an on off switch.

20121023_155656.jpg

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I don't know about a full blown stove, but definitely a pack of hexy for quick brews when you just can't be bothered

Can you fly with hexy? sure it would be easy to get at the camp shoppy near the airport though. Ill think about the stove but its a lot of weight carrying all the fuel for it. wood or pine cones should be easy fuel even in the wet

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
For anyone thats interested this is the usual sort of forest camp area provided by the Park Management Authority RMK. The lodges can be booked in advance but you have to pay a key fee so ill not be bothering. Wild camping is tolerated but whilst in the park they like you to stick to the provided fire places for lighting up

55580714.jpg

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I usually don't comment on these pack-lists, but imho I think you've got an awfull lot of stuff there....

Thats why ive put the list up for comment mate so if you think there are areas where stuff is listed thats not needed shout out. Ive not done a trip like this before so would like to hear your thoughts

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Can you fly with hexy? sure it would be easy to get at the camp shoppy near the airport though. Ill think about the stove but its a lot of weight carrying all the fuel for it. wood or pine cones should be easy fuel even in the wet

You can't fly with hexi. A small gas stove would suffice. At least you'll get a fast hot drink without faffing about burning twigs.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Tell me that when its pouring down with rain and your faffing about with a twig burner lol

Whats the details on your battery pack?

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
its made from 8 2500mah flat cells in parrallel. weight is 256g and the usb out is adjustable from 5v - 12v. USB booster circuits and charging circuits are readily available from the east for chips these days. Total cost was about £10. The issue will be whether i can get away with it in my luggage. Im sure on an xray it might look a tad like a bomb :(

Worst case i do have a proper Trent 12000mah pack which could step in.

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
Well, it all boils down to personal preference. I am not so worried about the weight, more the amount of small bits'n pieces. I like to keep it simple.
I do not know for how long you plant to stay out, for how long you plan to walk or how much experience you got in advance.
But heres my two cent:
Drop all down sleeping related stuff. Down is good for your bed at home and in dry cold winter conditions.
Get a simple foamish sleeping mat and a sleepingbag with synthetic filling. The sleeping mat insulates better than down, even when wet (I know many probalby disagree with me).
Helsport bivvi shoes...., useless dead weight.
How many knives, pots, pans, pens, flashlights, batteries and bettery chargers do you really need? How many of the bits'n bobs can have multiple uses? Could you do the dishes in the largest pot?
Tritium marker? Why?
I see Martti recomends rubber boots. In my book rubber boots is an absolute no no in any condition. Simple, good leather boots without any fancy lining. The fancier tha name of the boot is, the poorer the quality is.

To me it looks like youre going to spend the days sorting out and fiddeling with bits'n gadgets insetad of nejoying your surroundings.
I don't mean to be patronicing or anything, but I would hate to see a nice hike drown in to much/wrong equipment. Keep a journal, and write in it every day while your memory is fresh, note what equipment you have used, and what you have not used. And what you like/don't like.

I'm not sure if this helps, or makes it more difficult...

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
You have prob already thought of this Paul, but how about doing a couple of 1 nighters this winter with the absolute minimum, and I mean minimum kit you can get away with, then add a few luxurys?
Im really not one to talk when slimming down my kit.
If I pack summit because I paid a lotof money for it or I like it I make damn sure I use it weather I need it or not lol!!
Cheers
Steve

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Well, it all boils down to personal preference. I am not so worried about the weight, more the amount of small bits'n pieces. I like to keep it simple.
I do not know for how long you plant to stay out, for how long you plan to walk or how much experience you got in advance.
But heres my two cent:
Drop all down sleeping related stuff. Down is good for your bed at home and in dry cold winter conditions.
Get a simple foamish sleeping mat and a sleepingbag with synthetic filling. The sleeping mat insulates better than down, even when wet (I know many probalby disagree with me).
Helsport bivvi shoes...., useless dead weight.
How many knives, pots, pans, pens, flashlights, batteries and bettery chargers do you really need? How many of the bits'n bobs can have multiple uses? Could you do the dishes in the largest pot?
Tritium marker? Why?
I see Martti recomends rubber boots. In my book rubber boots is an absolute no no in any condition. Simple, good leather boots without any fancy lining. The fancier tha name of the boot is, the poorer the quality is.

To me it looks like youre going to spend the days sorting out and fiddeling with bits'n gadgets insetad of nejoying your surroundings.
I don't mean to be patronicing or anything, but I would hate to see a nice hike drown in to much/wrong equipment. Keep a journal, and write in it every day while your memory is fresh, note what equipment you have used, and what you have not used. And what you like/don't like.

I'm not sure if this helps, or makes it more difficult...

Thanks for your thoughts

I agree with the battery situation and will thin this out to the minimum needed. I only have one cooking pot and a mug and the silnylon sink is a multi use item thats weighs next to nothing. im now down to one ultra lightweight headlamp and one keyring flashlight. one main knife and a tiny SAK i dont think is overkill and it will live with my FAK.

I do disagree about the down bag and exped mat. The sleep system is one which i trust and the jerven bag protects the down bag. The exped mat is also comfortable. I used to get away with a foam mat many moons ago but id be crippled these days :D

The bivvy shoes will only be taken if its looking cold and i agree they are heavy.

I think the list probably looks a lot more cluttered than the reality of how it will look with pictures. Im out this weekend and will try to get some pictures of everything.

I hope not to spend my days messing with gadgets but taking in all that there is around me. Good call on the Journal, i will be keeping one

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
You have prob already thought of this Paul, but how about doing a couple of 1 nighters this winter with the absolute minimum, and I mean minimum kit you can get away with, then add a few luxurys?
Im really not one to talk when slimming down my kit.
If I pack summit because I paid a lotof money for it or I like it I make damn sure I use it weather I need it or not lol!!
Cheers
Steve

Agreed Steve, the point of getting the list and gear together early is so i can test and refine over winter here. only looking like around 0c this weekend but its a start :D

Im sure in a few months time i will have made some further refinements.

right off to mark some more items in red for dead

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE