Estonia Kit List - Comments Please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Hi Martti. If it looks like the thaw is late i will have to look into a pulk and snow shoes for moving about and add a snow shovel to the list. I will have access to a car but to be honest i would rather just park it up and explore on foot.

Thanks for the advice on head net and boots. My scarpas are waterproof and i was hoping with gaiters i could get away with them but ill look into other options.

If I a) ever get around to making it, and b) it survives Norway in January, my pulk with removable wheels will be available in exchange for a coffee:)

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Clever stuff. Will deffo procure some of that. Off to research creative uses :D

on the hippo tape stuff would spinnaker tape be as good? I already have some gaffa tape in my FAK and i recently used spinny tape to fix my Rab Photon. Found it very good.

Good shout on the sewing kit too

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Clever stuff. Will deffo procure some of that. Off to research creative uses :D

on the hippo tape stuff would spinnaker tape be as good? I already have some gaffa tape in my FAK and i recently used spinny tape to fix my Rab Photon. Found it very good.

Good shout on the sewing kit too

Sorry Paul, no idea on the spinn. tape. Gaffer tape is fine, it just doesn't last as long and mostly won't stick in the wet. Only worth getting some if you have to buy some anyway.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Just looking again and I'm with Cliff on the torch front, too many. Head torch and maybe a few little keyring button torches clipped to kit, they weigh nowt, last ages and are ideal around camp.

Dump the peanut lighter and just pack a few bics here and there.

You say civvie Trangia, is that just the burner or complete set? If you take the model 27 you don't need any other pans and you can include the Trangia kettle in that too if you want, all you'll need is a drinking mug and the Trangia pans can be used over a fire. I'll lend you a full 27 for the trip if you want it.

Store your return kit in an airport locker if possible.

Do you need a fold up bucket? Really?

Look at ways of using a battery charger that runs on AA's, your powerpack when flat is just extra weight.

I envy your trip :)

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Just looking again and I'm with Cliff on the torch front, too many. Head torch and maybe a few little keyring button torches clipped to kit, they weigh nowt, last ages and are ideal around camp.

Dump the peanut lighter and just pack a few bics here and there.

You say civvie Trangia, is that just the burner or complete set? If you take the model 27 you don't need any other pans and you can include the Trangia kettle in that too if you want, all you'll need is a drinking mug and the Trangia pans can be used over a fire. I'll lend you a full 27 for the trip if you want it.

Store your return kit in an airport locker if possible.

Do you need a fold up bucket? Really?

Look at ways of using a battery charger that runs on AA's, your powerpack when flat is just extra weight.

I envy your trip :)

Ive just been chatting with cliff and agree the torch situation is overkill :D I am likely just to take the new egear ultralight head torch and the quantum dd as it weighs nowt

Peanut lighter is also history :AR15firin

The trangia was just the burner for backup used inside the element. Ive been giving that further thought and think that carrying a litre of meths and a spare stove just for backup is not worth the weight. Light a fire or die trying :D

The folding sink for me is an important bit of kit. Being out for 8 days, i want to keep good admin so for the tiny bit of weight its something id like to have.

The battery pack is a bit of a toss up. 4 AAs and a 2 AA charger weighs about 120g and my 10amp pack weighs about the same so the issue becomes will i dump the pack when (if) its empty. To be honest the cells are scavenged from some 10 amp battery packs so ill just drop it in the recycle point when its done. I think id also need to carry 10AA batteries to get the same energy in the 10amp pack.

I have also decided to dump the ecig and smoke proper fags for the week. dont know what a few packs of smokes weigh but it wont be as much as my ecig with a large bottle of juice.

I think i will fit a bail to my ti pot though so it can be used over a fire easily.

Cheers chaps im already saving weight and getting back to basics. I am a bit of a techie gadget freak but sometimes its good to do it without the bells and whistles. Well not the whistle lol

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Plenty of useful advice in this thread but there's no substitute for a practice run, even if it's in your garden. And I'd ditch the Jerven too!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You can get AA batteries anywhere more or less.

DON'T rely on just burning wood and bits of tinder card et al for crying out loud, you really must take a stove and fuel on a solo trip...vital really.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I dont disagree about the battery availability but the energy density of standard batteries means the weight would be double for the same 10 amp hours.

I think the stove issue comes down to having confidence in your ability to light fire in any conditions. Dry wood can always be had even if it means battoning out to get it. A lot of the state provided fire place areas in the park also have well stocked wood sheds with axes so on balance it shouldnt be a big issue.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Plenty of useful advice in this thread but there's no substitute for a practice run, even if it's in your garden. And I'd ditch the Jerven too!

My bag is only rated to -2 so if i get temps down to -15 id be pretty stuffed without it. If i took something like the snugpak RE but not the jerven then weight would be the same as my down bag + the Jerven. The jerven gives me a lot more flexibility too as a multi use item.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
Sounds like a fun trip. Are you basecamping or moving regularly? Having read your kit list a few things come to mind

- A groundsheet will be a good idea to help with admin in the evenings. Polychro would work well for this
- Rucksack is heavy!
- You don't have anything to keep you warm in the evenings (i.e. puffy insulation), unless you're going to use the Jerven for this. Otherwise not sure what use the Jerven will be...
- Have you got any torches will long, low runtimes, that will be useful. Plus a red filter for preserving night vision
- Water bottle - what are you using on the move? Something that doubles as a hot water bottle might be nice
- Does the SAK have a saw on it? Might be useful to have one
- Why are you taking a separate outfit for the plane? (looks like you're taking a spare set of clothes from your list)
- Maps - got the right ones?
- How good are you nav skills? Basic GPS might be handy
- Reading materials. I'm guessing the nights will be long, what are you planning to do? A book, or even better a kindle, would be good. The new one out in November is backlit (or actually front lit) for night time reading

That's it for now :D

EDIT - think about Gaiters too. When its wet, boggy, muddy or snowy these protect your boots/socks/trousers well, plus you can sit cross legged without worrying about getting crap everywhere. For bushwhackingy stuff they're excellent

Last edited:

stafass

Mar 20, 2012
Planet Earth
I agree with some of advice you got here. I strongly recommend you waterproof boots with ankle support. Firstly, when it's minus, there still might be water under snow and ice. Secondly, even with -26 running around in woods, there's a chance to get wet. And I can tell you - it was not the best experience I've had. High visibility jacket or some bright colour gloves and/or hat should be worn at all times. Even though you will spend most of the time in national park, there might be some poachers and you would not like to get in their fire zone. Another thing I would take is a pepper spray - to protect from vicious dogs or other animals as well as inappropriate behaiving people. All the best on your trip! Be safe and have fun!

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Sounds like a fun trip. Are you basecamping or moving regularly? Having read your kit list a few things come to mind

- A groundsheet will be a good idea to help with admin in the evenings. Polychro would work well for this
- Rucksack is heavy!
- You don't have anything to keep you warm in the evenings (i.e. puffy insulation), unless you're going to use the Jerven for this. Otherwise not sure what use the Jerven will be...
- Have you got any torches will long, low runtimes, that will be useful. Plus a red filter for preserving night vision
- Water bottle - what are you using on the move? Something that doubles as a hot water bottle might be nice
- Does the SAK have a saw on it? Might be useful to have one
- Why are you taking a separate outfit for the plane? (looks like you're taking a spare set of clothes from your list)
- Maps - got the right ones?
- How good are you nav skills? Basic GPS might be handy
- Reading materials. I'm guessing the nights will be long, what are you planning to do? A book, or even better a kindle, would be good. The new one out in November is backlit (or actually front lit) for night time reading

That's it for now :D

EDIT - think about Gaiters too. When its wet, boggy, muddy or snowy these protect your boots/socks/trousers well, plus you can sit cross legged without worrying about getting crap everywhere. For bushwhackingy stuff they're excellent

I will be moving round daily although hope to spend two days in one spot that ive identified as a good fishing opportunity.

Groundsheet was missed off the list, i have a reflective ripstop one so that will be going

Rucksack is heavy but its a superb bit of kit and really meets my needs.

The Jerven will be a sit bag should i need it as well as part of the sleep system but to be honest ill be sitting by a fire so should be plenty warm enough.

Torches...Mixed views from the collective here :). My head torch will do 20 hours plus and takes coin cells so very light to carry spares. The quantum DD is capable of doing 40 hours on low and also has a 100 lumen mode too so im not too worried.

water bottle is one of these

explorer-canteen.jpg

Dont think it can be used as a hot water bottle but i can pretty much use all water sources apart from salt water. I have an ortlieb bladder which i can fill from the canteen to give me up to 10l of clean safe water.

Ive not included a saw as the size of wood i will need for the wood burner will be easily processed with a knife. Hopefully most of my camps will be in designated fire pit locations and there will be wood provided. im building my itinerary around these locations and most of the trails link to them.

I am taking a spare set of clothes for the return trip. Everything will stink of smoke by the end of the trip even if i launder it myself so a spare set of gear is just a courtesy to folks who will have to share a plane with me. They will live in the hire car and will not be carried.

I have reasonable maps but will be picking up good ones on arrival. I have located a good outdoor shop near the airport where i can source them. I can read a map and get from A to B but my phone will be a backup GPS

Reading material is a good shout. Im undecided whether to take the kindle or get some real books. Kindle is light so that will probably win out and i can read by candle light.

Gaiters is also a good call and i think i will source some. like the ventile ones on ebay.

Thanks for your thoughts :)

rg598

Native
Looks like you have a good, complete list. We can all talk about details till the cows come home, but if you have been using this gear all along, then you know how well it works.

The only things I'll say is that you should bring some type of stove. If you plan on traveling, sometimes being able to cook some food quickly is key. This is even more so if you get caught in bad weather. On more than one occasion I have used a stove inside my Shangri-La 5 to cook my food when the snow or rain was falling outside. A small gas stove like the pocket rocket with a single 4 oz canister will do the job to supplement the fire with minimal weight.

I know this involves a lot of personal preferences, but if you are expecting bad weather, with all the wool clothing you are using, I would bring good waterproof gear (no ventile of canvas, but some good gore tex/ eVent tops and bottoms). Gaiters are also of great use, especially in snow. I didn't see any on the list. If this is going to be a shoulder season, and you may get freezing and melting snow, crampons would be key for me, much more so than snow shoes. If the temperature goes above 0C and then drop below during the night, all the snow will turn into ice.

Anyway, can't wait to hear about the trip.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I agree with some of advice you got here. I strongly recommend you waterproof boots with ankle support. Firstly, when it's minus, there still might be water under snow and ice. Secondly, even with -26 running around in woods, there's a chance to get wet. And I can tell you - it was not the best experience I've had. High visibility jacket or some bright colour gloves and/or hat should be worn at all times. Even though you will spend most of the time in national park, there might be some poachers and you would not like to get in their fire zone. Another thing I would take is a pepper spray - to protect from vicious dogs or other animals as well as inappropriate behaiving people. All the best on your trip! Be safe and have fun!

Boots is something i would like more info on. I currently have Scarpa goretex lined boots and they are cracking boots. I was hoping these with gaiters would see me right but clearly there seems to be a call for rubberised snow boots. Anyone who's done trips have thoughts please?

To be honest wearing h viz sort of goes against what im after here. I dont really want to be wandering about with a look im here sign but i do take your point about the potential dangers of being invisible. I have a luminous rescue flag included with the jerven bag so this can be deployed if needed but hopefully a whistle will be able to signal anyone putting bullets my way :)

Pepper spray cannot be bought in the UK as it is classed as a firearm. From what i understand, it cant be purchased in Estonia either so i will have to rely on sharp metal objects for protection from people and small animals. Should i encounter bears i will follow established procedure for avoiding problems. Back off slowly avoid eye contact - if bear still coming then make lots of noise and make yourself big - if hes still coming throw stuff at him and make lots of noise - if hes still coming protect your head and pray!!

Bears are a concern though and particularly as they will be emerging from hibernation with cubs and will be hungry. The main bear concentrations from my research are in the far east of the country near the Russian border but i will still adopt bear precautions as standard.

stafass

Mar 20, 2012
Planet Earth
Boots is something i would like more info on. I currently have Scarpa goretex lined boots and they are cracking boots. I was hoping these with gaiters would see me right but clearly there seems to be a call for rubberised snow boots. Anyone who's done trips have thoughts please?

To be honest wearing h viz sort of goes against what im after here. I dont really want to be wandering about with a look im here sign but i do take your point about the potential dangers of being invisible. I have a luminous rescue flag included with the jerven bag so this can be deployed if needed but hopefully a whistle will be able to signal anyone putting bullets my way :)

Pepper spray cannot be bought in the UK as it is classed as a firearm. From what i understand, it cant be purchased in Estonia either so i will have to rely on sharp metal objects for protection from people and small animals. Should i encounter bears i will follow established procedure for avoiding problems. Back off slowly avoid eye contact - if bear still coming then make lots of noise and make yourself big - if hes still coming throw stuff at him and make lots of noise - if hes still coming protect your head and pray!!

Bears are a concern though and particularly as they will be emerging from hibernation with cubs and will be hungry. The main bear concentrations from my research are in the far east of the country near the Russian border but i will still adopt bear precautions as standard.

I would go for a boots from military range. High, so it would go higher then your ankle. They should have gore-tex and vibram or alternative. They would be water proof, they should be so big so I could fit in me feet with woolen socks if it is too cold. If you would go for leather boots, you should apply a lot of shoe wax, warm boots up with some torch so wax would soak in properly and let them to dry out. Repeat procedure couple times. Boots should become more waterproof.

In Estonia, pepper spray is legal to cary for self-defence if it's spraying distance is not over 6m/19ft and it's concentration is not over 5%. You can find pepper spray even in some petrol stations and buy it without any restriction. Unless you are under 18 years old.

Last edited:

stafass

Mar 20, 2012
Planet Earth
I am Lithuanian, but my girlfriend is Estonian, so when we are not somewhere in UK, we are in Estonia or Lithuania. But weather conditions are allmost the same in all Baltic states.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I am Lithuanian, but my girlfriend is Estonian, so when we are not somewhere in UK, we are in Estonia or Lithuania. But weather conditions are allmost the same in all Baltic states.

Cool. Have you pent any time at Laheema or other national parks? Just wondering if im missing anything better in a different area?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE