Entirely self sufficient mustard

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Just put the seeds in the ground. That is what the farmers do in Sweden, and it is colder there than in UK.

I had no clue the Poles had an own horseradish variety.
But I know that the Czech preparations add a grated apple usually.

It is a tradition in Sweden to make your own mustard for Christmas.
Traditionally a cast iron ball, ‘cannonball’ is rolled together with the seeds in a large wood bowl.

Traditional mans job. Once the mustard is done, the man hits the Christmas bottle.
:)

Reactions: British Red

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The most valuable things on earth all come from plants. That's what bank-rolled the Renaissance.
You can't name a crop which has not undergone some artificial selection in favor of valuable charateristics.
In fact, agricultural expeditions are launched to find original "wild types" which are expected to have better salt tolerance,
better drought resistance, better stem strength and so on.

The examples are practically endless. See if this works:

http://popular-archaeology.com/issu...ng-two-way-journey-for-apple-on-the-silk-road

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
My tastebuds tell me though the looks, yield and storage life ability is more important than mouthfeel and taste.

Thankfully, mustard still taste as it used to 50 years ago.

(Maybe they add flavorings, just like Heinz does with catsup? :) )

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Yes we do.
We have not noticed any taste difference, so the Heinz people know what they are doing!

On mustard: the two famous French brand are made in France ( for Europe) and in Canada for the American market.
There I can taste a big difference.
Same with Nutella.

The (young) leaves from the mustard seed plant, can you eat them?

Once, I tried the leaves from the Rape seed plant. Not so nice. Harsh.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The mustard greens (leaves) we eat here are from a different plant so I don’t know if the ones from the mustard seed plant are edible or not. Hopefully somebody on here will have an answer.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
When Heinz walked out, French's picked up the tomato contracts and soldiered on.
French's make good use of the top quaality mustard seed, grown in western Canada.
It might be Dijon style but I'll buy home grown.

This is why I'm interested in British Red's DIY mustard. Learning the process should be interesting.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It took me 10 yrs to kill the horseradish that was in my garden when I moved in.! Think I've got it now.
I have a lovely bed of day lilly there at present. Decorates a salad beautifully. Edible flowers.
I hate.... no loath horseradish! And mine was so full on, your eyes were burning just digging the stuff up.
Partner tried to prepare it once... only once, as he professed to like it.
He had to give up, he could barely breath and had swollen eyes, tears running down his face!
He used to make it with the stuff from his dad's garden no problem.
Evil stuff!!!!

When do you start your mustard seedlings off British Red? I don't have a greenhouse so would appreciate a tip or two about growing this in the garden rather than as a windowsill salad crops. Did you say in your video? If you did sorry! Memory is not what it was!
I do go through my timings in the video. March to April is a good time

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Thanks BR, had a feeling you had. Sorry trying to save data on my phone. Will watch again when I've topped up tomorrow. Thanks:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE