The joy of seeds.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Two years ago I bought a small packet of "open pollinated" field bean seeds (about 30 of them). They germinated well and we brought about almost all the plants to cropping.

We tried them in a home made "baked bean" recipe...

Baked Field Beans by British Red, on Flickr

..they were a revelation! Not like the normal "blotting paper" beans at all.

We held back a number of plants and saved them for seed. This meant that we could plant 100 square foot bed of beans this year (at no seed cost)

Field Beans by British Red, on Flickr

We have eaten a huge number this year - fresh off the pod with our own tomatoes, garlic and bread

Beans on toast by British Red, on Flickr

We have frozen about 30 Kg of beans for our Winter roasts, soups an stews and were still groaning under harvests

So we have canned a load of home made "barbecue beans"

Home Made baked beans by British Red, on Flickr

After all that we have saved enough seed to plant half an acre if we wanted!

Wizard field beans by British Red, on Flickr

The point of this post? Well partly to say to people

"Fifty years ago, it was normal to save and swap seeds and even for back garden growers to know enough to breed new plant varieties. We talk about saving skills here - we are losing skills out grandparents had!"

The other thing though is to say "this stuff is easy, give it a go and save money". Buy a book if it scares you - buy this book in fact

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Back-Garden-Seed-Saving-Vegetable/dp/1899233156

But in reality, once you have the basics down - its just hard work - there is nothing complex about being entirely self sufficient in plant seed (both flowers, fruit and veg) - and indeed supplying your friends with seeds too.

A wonderful aging member of the oldest profession described what she did as the ultimate in sales "you got it, you sell it, you've still got it" :).

Seed saving is like that "you grow it, you eat it, you save it, you grow even more of it".

Go on - have a go!

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
Do wish to part with some to someone who is learning from your wize words and threads ;-) creeping here .

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
That looks great! We are moving house next year and hope to get some land and we plan a mini orchard and veg garden! And some more beehives! :pokenest:

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I need to know how to deal with the wizard beans Hugh my plants are about done and I've kept a few back for seeds but there still on the plant at the mo...

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Wait till the pods are dry and black. Remove pods, shell beans into a tray. Get beans really dry (airing cupboard or greenhouse). Keep in a cool dry spot till next year.

Beans are easy :)

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Wait till the pods are dry and black. Remove pods, shell beans into a tray. Get beans really dry (airing cupboard or greenhouse). Keep in a cool dry spot till next year.

Beans are easy :)

On the plant Hugh?
Mine are going black on the plant...whilst they are still in the ground....

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I was hoping to harvest Bullaces today...got a huge crop this year but the warmth has just tipped them over into ripeness. Still we got the damsons in for 3 litres of damson vodka yesterday.

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
Thank you red for the seed you sent me .
My parsnips raised there heads from the soil today .
:thumbup: uploadfromtaptalk1379017270684.jpg

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Did I not send a piece of paper with them? Should have planting and harvest times at the bottom

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
It was Possibly taken of by the missus before handing them to me .
Or mixed up among other instructions and Ive got carried away .
Either way I only planted a few seeds mate no real loss if they die or struggle .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE