The illustrated Library of Self Sufficiency

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Glad it was useful Pholland. Food preservation is a huge subject, but there aren't many techniques that I haven't tried. Feel free to shout for any advice I can offer

Red

Suffolksteve

Forager
May 24, 2010
Suffolk
I have added a few of these, grow your own drugs, a complete book of herb, a john seymours' concise guide (which is more suitable to smaller plots of land) and handy farm devices and how to make them. Great books which have added some much needed knowledge so thanks!

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Excellent thread. It reminds me of the "Whole Earth Catalogue" produced in the US in the 60s. Although often called, with some justification, a coffee table book for hippies, it did encapsulate the wish to get away from the consumer society, and back to a more self sufficient way of life. John Seymour was the UK guru. For me, The Whole Earth Catalogue's fascination was the range of resources for self-sufficience that were available. If you can get hold of a copy for a browse down memory lane (if you are my generation) or an insight into social history (if you are young), you are in for a treat.

The focus of this thread is a very welcome reminder that the values and attitudes have survived and have not yet been submerged by the tsunami of global consumerism and there is hope for the next generation after all.

Quote from my 7 year old grandson while helping in my vegetable plot, "Grandpa, why do people buy food in supermarkets when the stuff you grow youself tastes so much nicer?"

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
An excellent list. Good post. I'd like to add to this with:-

Edible Forest Gardens Vol 1&2 by Dave Jacke and Eric Toensmeier.

IMO it is THE bible of Forest Gardening. Pricey to buy though.

And

The Owner built Homestead by the late Ken Kern

To me has always been very inspiring book.

Great Idea to start this thread, think it would make a great sticky!!!!

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Just found this thread, and have quite a few of those books myself.
I'll keep an eye open for a few on this list in my local second hand bookshop and the charity shops... when they open up again.
Thanks BR. With time on our hands during lockdown with no seeming end, it gives us a chance to keep old skills alive, learn new ways that are more eco friendly, or just plain nessasary, and spread what little income some of us may be suffering from.
A book is a good investment, as it's always there for reference, unlike the internet, which though incredibly useful, can fail for many reasons or one may not have a computer and printer,( like me).

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Anyone got any other books they might recommend?
Most of my library is like this and it would take forever to list it.
What's your favourite "go to" book?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE