English Rose - My First Attempt – My First Knife – See It In The Making - TRACY

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Englishrose222

Tenderfoot
Jun 30, 2006
Devon
englishrose.222.tripod.com
Hi Guys

Thank you for your kind words and wonderful support - for a minute there i thought i was all by myself, thank you.

If you want to see some more of my knives take a look on my website. I also have some more that are coming up to their finishing stages, the finished one in the picture, has a natural yellow and black grained timber handle, i don't use stains for dyes - the first person to tell me correctly what this wood is - i'll send them a pair of scales free of charge with a matching firesteel blank. I'll tell you who else makes a nice knife.....hehehehehe........Shinken..........well, that's what he told me.. ;)

http://englishrose.222.tripod.com/tripletwoknives

Ebay3750.jpg

Tracy.. :)

Reactions: Eric_Methven

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Very nice Tracy!

and id never tell you that i make a nice knife!

I wood have said bocote too, but obviously someone got there first and it may be wrong anyhoow

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
those knives are gorgeous :eek: :D

My first thought for the handle was osage orange, but the grain doesn't look right and it's too bright... then I thought olivewood, but it's not orange enough is it? Bocote seems way closer though :)

M

mikehill

To be honest the colour looks different to my Bocote ... I just reckoned the grain pattern looked the same. Here's hoping ... :)

Englishrose222

Tenderfoot
Jun 30, 2006
Devon
Okay guys.. :You_Rock_

I see lots of people have read the thread and obviously seen the compeition, but to win the scales you have to take part and leave your answer, whatever you think. It doesn't matter if you are new here and it doesn't matter if you don't know me - you are welcome - i invite you to leave your answer - i don't bite..... well not too hard anyway....hehehehehe.. ;)

Competition will end this time tomorrow night - then i will announce the winners - so come on - say hello and mention a timber - Good Luck.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I'm convinced it's bocote but its already been sugested! so well done Mikehill i reccon you've won!on the off chance i'm wrong i'm gonna say something daft like OAK! :lmao:

nice offer Tracy - and nice new knife too! :D

Dunno what Bocote looks like and you guys are probably right

Looking at the Site i would put Zebrano up as my guess for colour but the pattern dont look the same :(
Couldnt fine Bocote on the site (culd have missed it )

ATB

Duncan

PS i usually just use Marine Quality Mahogany Plywood cos i got a big bit in the shed ..... I'll get my coat :theyareon

AndyW

Nomad
Nov 12, 2006
Essex
I know very, very little about knives and most people seem to think it's Bocote but what the heck, I'll be different and say Rosewood, as it looks a little like a lump of Brazillian Rosewood I've seen a pic of recently.

But what do I know :rolleyes:

Englishrose222

Tenderfoot
Jun 30, 2006
Devon
AndyW said:
I know very, very little about knives and most people seem to think it's Bocote but what the heck, I'll be different and say Rosewood, as it looks a little like a lump of Brazillian Rosewood I've seen a pic of recently.

But what do I know :rolleyes:

Weeeelll, you might not be quite so far off, because Bocote is a rosewood, but not brazilian its mexican, but although it is called mexican rosewood - Bocote is not a rosewood at all..........wi' me so far???

Aaaaannnnd, who said Mike Hill has won - Mike Hill was the first to post after my question, but here is something for you to think about. Apart from Mike's post i've also had answers in the form of PM and even some e-mails....hahahahaha........aannnnndddd.......it might not be Bocote - just something for you to think about, but keep it coming you are such great fun.

Englishrose222

Tenderfoot
Jun 30, 2006
Devon
Come on guys - hurry up with your answers - all of you - newbies, or old friends, all are welcome there is less than 9 hours to go and i'll give the answer and announce the winner.............or maybe even winners......who knows.
Post your reply here or by PM or e-mail - i don't mind how you contact me - the clock's ticking........ ;)

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
To quote from the self same knife on your lovely website: "Bocote handle epoxied on to the blade with black vulcanised fibre liners"

Moocho respect due to you for such lovely work. You have rep!

Eric

M

mikehill

Eric_Methven said:
To quote from the self same knife on your lovely website: "Bocote handle epoxied on to the blade with black vulcanised fibre liners"

Moocho respect due to you for such lovely work. You have rep!

Eric
I didn't see that :D Just been putting some on an F1 blade so recognized it straight away :)
Mike.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE