English Rose - My First Attempt – My First Knife – See It In The Making - TRACY

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tilly

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2006
staffordshire
hi tracy yes please your pics will help to see how you are doing. once you are happy with the shape and every thing is nice and smooth and finished drill the holes out for the handle.now the bevel this is i think the hardest thing to get right blacken the blade edge with a marker and scribe two lines down leaving about a mm in center this is going to be hard to explain .then lay knife on its side and from the blade edge mark a line up about 8mm this is the width of the bevel . now use a 5mm round file and put a plug cut in each side this is were the bevel will start then grind up to these plug cuts .with out showing you what i mean it may be hard for you to follow help some one . i have your email if you get stuck give me a shout ok . unless any one els can explain it better hope this helped tilly :)

Englishrose222

Tenderfoot
Jun 30, 2006
Devon
englishrose.222.tripod.com
Hi Tilly

Your explanation was exceedingly good, :You_Rock_ i understood most of it, even though i have never done this before. The only thing that lost me a little was your phrase a plug cut :confused: , is this where you start your round file where the angle of the cutting edge starts at the nearest point to the handle? Or am i just completely miles off. :eek:
The pics are no problem, i'm always glad to put some on if anyone wants to see - you only have to ask and i think it is rather gentlemanly of you to be so brave and say "help some one". :cool: That was very nice Phil. ;) I think it is me that needs the help. :D

Tracy

Englishrose222

Tenderfoot
Jun 30, 2006
Devon
Hi Tilly :cool: ,

I've had a long day shopping, it was crazy :eek: . I will eat and do some more work on the blade and ask my sister to take some photos and put them on here this evening so you can see how it is coming along. I've got some tube and pins for the handle and i think i have already chosen the scales i want to use. ;) So i think it is coming along quite quickly now. And the two kisses, is that one for me and one for my sister (she's absolutely gorgeous but the trouble is she knows it :p ) - or can i have them both ;)

Tracy

tilly

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2006
staffordshire
they are for you so can i ask what wood you are going to use or will we have to wait and see . are you going to use liners to ? can not wait for the pics by for now sweet tilly. ;)

Englishrose222

Tenderfoot
Jun 30, 2006
Devon
Hi Tilly :cool:

I'm still working on the knife and haven't taken the photo yet. :( I have some wood in mind for the handle but i don't want to say just yet, maybe later on this evening, when i've got some pictures done and my nails :rolleyes: :D and i will be using liners but i'm not sure if there are a number of things can be used for this or if it is just vulcanised rubber :confused:

Tracy

tilly

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2006
staffordshire
hi sorry i missed you i guess you could use leather for liners to been working on another knife this will have birds eye maple for the handle with red liners . bet your knife is getting on nicely can not wait to see pics talk soon i will pop in and out ok tilly. :D

Englishrose222

Tenderfoot
Jun 30, 2006
Devon
Hi Tilly,

Thanks for the information about the liners. This is the first time i've heard of this, using leather, - i've got plenty of leather here. I've also got some vulcanised rubber but i'm not sure its the right kind because vulcanising is a process that makes rubber flexible and does not by definition tell me which rubber to use. for example, an old inner tube - would this be good? I'm not suggesting i'll use this but to go to the other extreme what would be the best as that is what i would like to use and i bet your birds eye maple knife with red liners is going to look ffffaaaaannnntaaaastic, like all your other knives. I'll post the pics soon of the next stage of the knife and you mentioned wooden scales - would you like to see an armful of timber that i'm thinking of using for my handle? Which i can also post.

Tracy

tilly

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2006
staffordshire
yes please the pics will be great . if you go to ebay there is someone selling vulcanised liners in the bushcraft bit at £1.00 pair he has lots of colours.get them pics on sweet lets see can not wait :You_Rock_

Englishrose222

Tenderfoot
Jun 30, 2006
Devon
Hi Tilly

Here's the pictures i promised - there are more to follow if you want to see them. :You_Rock_

Thanks for all the advice and guidance so far from everyone – I’ve been following it through and here’s a picture of my blade, its had no heat treatment, I’ve cut the bevels

[HIDE]
Ebay3136.jpg
[/HIDE]

[HIDE]
Ebay3140.jpg

Look what knife making has done to my hands:yuck: , they don't look like teenagers hands at all do they.:D [/HIDE]

tilly

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2006
staffordshire
hi tracy what can i say that looks fantastic yes hands do get a battering you have done a great job and can not wait untill you have finished it . :You_Rock_ ;) did you get my message about the liners tilly.

Englishrose222

Tenderfoot
Jun 30, 2006
Devon
Hi Tilly, :You_Rock_

Sorry i've kept you holding on :eek: - i spent most of the evening listing spalted lime burr on another site. Unfortunately BCUK doesn't have this facility, :( so it does mean that i've been off this site for a while, but i believe there are plans to change this. :) Not sure if its true. :confused: I did get your message about the liners, thank you, and i'll be trying to order some this evening :) . I'll send you some pictures through your e-mail of the knife handle blanks i listed this evening - and anyone else who wants to see them as well. (yes that means you too). :D Just PM me.

Tracy

tilly

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2006
staffordshire
hi tracy how are you getting on with the knife i have been working on my next knife with the birds eye maple the red liners i got were to small so will not be fitting them if you have any more pic would love to see them by for now tilly ;)

Englishrose222

Tenderfoot
Jun 30, 2006
Devon
tilly said:
hi tracy how are you getting on with the knife i have been working on my next knife with the birds eye maple the red liners i got were to small so will not be fitting them if you have any more pic would love to see them by for now tilly ;)

Hi Tilly,

I've kept you waiting so long, am i not your sweet anymore :rolleyes: I've had exactly the same problem with my fibre liners as you that i have been waiting for, they came today but they are not the size that was stated, so i will also have to start looking all over again. I've spent the whole evening listing on you know what bay, so i'll say goodnight for now and look forward to speaking tomorrow, and i'll bring those pictures i promised. Eeerrrr, but the way, are we the only two here? :D I wish someone else would speak. I'ts become very quiet.
Goodnight Phil. :cool: :You_Rock_

Tracy ;)

tilly

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2006
staffordshire
hi yes think we are here alone how is the knife going yes i had the same trouble to small.my new stencil came yesterday with my design on for my new etch-o-matic for putting my name on my blades looks great when knife is done i will post a pic ok sorry i missed you talk soon ok tilly. ps are you going to the game fair there will be a knife makers tent there should be good . get u later tilly

Englishrose222

Tenderfoot
Jun 30, 2006
Devon
tilly said:
hi yes think we are here alone how is the knife going yes i had the same trouble to small.my new stencil came yesterday with my design on for my new etch-o-matic for putting my name on my blades looks great when knife is done i will post a pic ok sorry i missed you talk soon ok tilly. ps are you going to the game fair there will be a knife makers tent there should be good . get u later tilly

Hi Tilly :You_Rock_

I think we both bought these vulcanised fibre liners from the same place, i won't be leaving bad feedback, as you know i wouldn't, but i won't be buying from them again :( I've had some good information today of the whereabouts to buy sheets of vulcanised fibre from a good friend :) ....ssshhhh.....listen......can you hear that......(i'm listening hard)......nothing......not a sausage......no-one.........we're here all by ourselves :confused: :D .......... Okay Tilly, i'll be back a little later and i'll bring some photographs. I have a pair of American Black Walnut scales you might be interested in. I'll send you a PM......does anyone else want a PM :) .............i can't keep this going all by myself :rolleyes: .......please :D

Tracy......... :sadwavey:

Englishrose222

Tenderfoot
Jun 30, 2006
Devon
baggins said:
Sorry to intrude what seems to have become a private thread. But you both seem to have problems getting fibre spacers. Have either of you tried Dennis at www.brisa.fi
He really is good for knife making materials, i use his quite alot.
Can't wait to see the finished articles
Baggins

Hi Baggins :You_Rock_

Thank you for your information - don't be afraid to tell me something i may have heard before - if i hear it a thousand times, it makes me think - they can't all be wrong, :) so come on lets hear it - tell me how to make this knife. ;)

You are so welcome to come and join the campfire :) - surely that is what this is all about. Tilly and i have been here waiting for others like yoruself to come back and join in, :rolleyes: it was never a private discussion, that's what PM's are for... everyone is welcome here, to have a cosy chat with me or Tilly or both and that is everyone - including you.....(say to yoruself - who me). :D .......YYYEEEESSSS.....you... come and join in. :cool: We need you - Tilly's new here, he's a knifemaker and a very good one. I know nothing about making knives and i need everyone, :D come and say hello, come and say anything, but please don't leave me here by myself, :( it can get very lonely - the pictures i am bringing tonight are for everyone to see - see you then. :)

Tracy :)

tilly

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2006
staffordshire
welcom baggins and thanx for the info hi tracy . i have posted some of my work in edged tools gallery . it is great that baggins came along to join in was thinking we were the only two here . i have almost finished making my new linisher for my bevel work and will post a pic today it is not finished yet just a few things to finish of but will be up and running soon pic will be in edged tools gallery ok talk soon tilly.keep the posts comeing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE