english/ british made clothing is there such a things

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JamesT

Jan 9, 2010
east sussex
English,british i am looking for shops or brands high street or online that sells tshirts trousers and jumpers just pain clothing etc etc (100% cotton wool natural materials) that are made in this country,
Can even be organics just i was think that eveything that i buy normally has travelled thousands of miles, just would like to buy closer to home.
anyone that knows of such place please let me know
cheers

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Depends on what you mean by "British made"... You can (very) occasionally find garments that are made here, but fabric and fibres are more difficult. You certainly won't find any British-grown cotton, for example! You can get tweeds and woollen fabrics produced here, but they tend to be very expensive. If you want 100% British-made, the only option that immediately comes to mind would be bespoke Harris tweed - second mortgage stuff for most of us. Maybe a few of the better kiltmakers...

Your best bet might be to haunt the charity shops looking at labels.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Whatever happened to proper size's, you know like 36 waist/32 inside leg. Whenever did this S/M/L/XL/XXL/one-size-fits-all crap come in? Clothes these days are so shoddy its unbelievable. Thats why I prefer military stuff (within reason) or "vintage" ebay stuff.
As for British clothing, the wollen and cotton industries finished 30 years ago, as did fine quality (in principle) Its all fashion led now, the goon squad came to town annd took over

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
grey-dogtooth-multi-check-flat-cap.jpeg

:D

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Hilltrek and SASS Kit make their stuff here, and do trousers as well as jackets, also Slioch and Keela I believe - and Ventile is woven here.

Lots of Barbour products are now made abroad.

NS

Last edited:

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
Your best bet might be to haunt the charity shops looking at labels.

Well, if you're looking primarily to reduce the mileage that your clothing has travelled, then anything from a charity shop (which would likely have otherwise been thrown away) has an advantage over newly made items, looking at the labels to see if it was made in UK seems somewhat unnecessary. To be honest I can't remember the last time I bought an item of clothing that wasn't from a charity shop, but then I am skint... In fact I have found a fair number of wool items that were produced locally including a great tweed woolen shirt.
Pete

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Hilltrek and SASS Kit make their stuff here, and do trousers as well as jackets, also Slioch and Keela I believe - and Ventile is woven here.

Lots of Barbour products are now made abroad.

NS

Slioch no longer exists, one of the previous owners ran it into the ground. However a new company has replaced it with many of the old designs:
www.firemore.com Ed

JamesT

Jan 9, 2010
east sussex
thanks for the post good to hear them keep them coming please, by the sound of everyone talkin here there still wainting to buy english/british

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE