End of the world is nigh

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I love google Andy - without it I`d know nothing :eek:

Anyway, what were we talking about, the end of the world ??

Rich

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
This CERN do-hickey if their only firing it one way and therefore not colliding what stops the projectile matter from just going on and on and on?
I'm not a physicist as you can plainly tell.
Andy

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
OK - but what destroyed the universe that was here before the Big Bang?
Maybe we did, maybe we the universe and everything is sucked through a really tiny black hole and explode in to space as a newly formed universe. we'll know in between 50 hours and two years. if we are still about, then it wasn't us... Maybe the vogons

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
OK - but what destroyed the universe that was here before the Big Bang?

We don't even know if there was a universe "here" before the Big Bang. It's far more likely that there was no "here" here. At the moment, all our theories fail at the moment of the singularity.

There are some really esoteric theories (well, hypotheses really) about it, but I couldn't even begin to try and understand them in the most basic terms. Crazy, strange things like string theory (basically, the universe is made of string - but multi-dimensional string) and M theory (nobody can agree on what the "M" stands for...)

If that wasn't a serious question, I apologise... I find all this stuff fascinating -but not quite fascinating enough to stomach a degree course. ;)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
We don't even know if there was a universe "here" before the Big Bang.

Probably had a "not too small" H collider in it somewhere!:D
Or
"There was nothing - which then exploded- creating everything"
Or
"In the begining the was the word, and the word was God"
Or
Two turtles swimming through the voids between planets, headed for the mating grounds and "The Big Bang" (thank you Mr P)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
How can you take reports of the end of the universe seriously?
If they are true - you aint got time to waste being miserable - if they aint - what a laugh!

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
The thing that upsets me is that a surprising number of people really do take such ideas (about the end of the world) seriously. There are people out there who are really genuinely scared as a result of this nonsense. People who work at CERN have been getting death threats over this.

lostagain

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2008
Windermere
If we broke the last universe and the big bang created the one we're about to blow up, what triggered the big bang? You must have a spark to kick off the bang.

So this spark.........firesteel, flint or matches.

And.......whatever heavenly body / alien etc caused the spark that triggered the big bang, do you think they owned a bushcraft knife?

And.......if they owed a knife, what do you think they considered to be the best grind? he he, :lmao: , mention knife and grind in the same post and this thread is now guaranteed at least a couple of thousand views !!!!!!:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Now I'm starting to become a bit silly, must be all that impending doom !!!

Have a great last day.:ban:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
10.09.08 is this the beginning of our final countdown ???

News this afternoon is that they have accomplished more today than they thought they would have done. After a bit more fine tuning they could be in a position to start the more exciting stuff of creating small collisions within a week or so.

Rich

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE