End of the world is nigh

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Thanks for putting my mind at rest Dunc, I shall sleep better tonight.

No shower in the morning though !

Rich

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
3. One member of the team said on TV the other day, "The chances of creating a black hole are less than one in a hundred."
scary.gif

EEEEEEP!......................

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
2. The scientists say they don't really know what's going to happen, that's why they are doing it.

Well, yeah - that's why it's called science. And while they don't know exactly what's going to happen, they do know that it's not going to destroy the world. I don't know exactly what's going to happen with my latest experimental brew either...

3. One member of the team said on TV the other day, "The chances of creating a black hole are less than one in a hundred."
scary.gif

Yes, there is a small possibility that the LHC could create micro black holes. However, the same physics also means that any micro black holes would evaporate almost instantaneously in a small but fascinating burst of Hawking radiation. If the physics is wrong on the evaporation part, then the LHC won't be able to create a black hole anyway. The two things are inseparable.

Really folks, there's nothing to worry about. It's just the usual story of the media preferring to run with the nonsensical but entertaining rantings of a bunch of crazies who don't understand what they're talking about, rather than actually deal with real science. Science is hard and doesn't sell newspapers. Mindless panic is easy, and does sell newspapers.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Really folks, there's nothing to worry about. It's just the usual story of the media preferring to run with the nonsensical but entertaining rantings of a bunch of crazies who don't understand what they're talking about, rather than actually deal with real science. Science is hard and doesn't sell newspapers. Mindless panic is easy, and does sell newspapers.
My wife texted me about 20 minutes ago, out of the blue and so unlike her, just a "love you" kind of text. I rang her to see if she was ok, turns out she had a power cut at home, and was worried that it might mean that CERN got it wrong, and we were all vanishing slowly into a tiny black hole. :D

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Oh, and if anybody actually wants to read what the people who know what they're talking about have to say on the subject, you could start here: The safety of the LHC.

Personally, I'm totally stoked about it. How often do you get to see science happening at this level? It's like the Apollo moonshot all over again, only for particle physics. Actually, it's much more important and exciting than strapping a couple of guys to a missile and firing it at a rock...

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I believe Stephen Hawking has $100 riding on one of the results according to one of the BBC reports..

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Ok, Alps, Chocolate and SAKs.......

But apart from that, what have the Swiss ever done for us?

Right you asked for it ...

Velcro
Fondue
Internal combustion engine
Muesli
Meat Beef cube
Aluminium Foil
Liquid Compass
Crisps
Electric Toothbrush
Artificial Hip Joint
LCD
LSD
Absinthe

oh and great railway journeys

Rich

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
1206: Al-Jazari described a double-acting reciprocating piston pump with a crankshaft-connecting rod mechanism
1232: Rocket is invented in China and was the first example of an internal combustion engine, though with very short duration and it was very inefficient.

1509: Leonardo da Vinci described a compressionless engine.

1673: Christiaan Huygens described a compressionless engine.

17th century: English inventor Sir Samuel Morland used gunpowder to drive water pumps, essentially creating the first rudimentary internal combustion piston engine.

1780's: Alessandro Volta built a toy electric pistol[2] in which an electric spark exploded a mixture of air and hydrogen, firing a cork from the end of the gun.

1791: John Barber receives British patent #1833 for A Method for Rising Inflammable Air for the Purposes of Producing Motion and Facilitating Metallurgical Operations. In it he describes a turbine.

1794: Robert Street built a compressionless engine whose principle of operation would dominate for nearly a century.

1798 - Tipu Sultan, the of the city-state of Mysore in India, uses the first iron rockets against the British Army and wins the first war.

1806: Swiss engineer François Isaac de Rivaz built an internal combustion engine powered by a hydrogen and oxygen mixture.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE