Elegant Fire Bowl

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nick,
I have one of these - I have no idea where it came from but it has holes in it and was always used as a pot strainer/ steamer in our house (it must be about 20 years old by now)

I think it was the Grilliput portable grill rack that led to this being taken up as a viable design for a contained open fire. Looks like the manufacturers took the design of my steamer, eliminated the holes (don't want too much aeration from underneath in a wood fire) and bingo! It's another "no trace" alternative - something I'm very interested in and an elegant, portable alternative. I'd be intertested to see how it performed in the real world - and, no, I'm not going to light a wood fire in what my wife uses to steam vegetables :D

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
i bought one of these at the start of the year, and i've used it loads - despite it's flimsy appearance, it really can take the heat. i've used charcoal as well as logs, and it folds up great every time. measures 14cm across and 8cm high when folded, and about 30cm when open.
takes a big enough fire to cook over with a billy, and with the grilliput, there's no limit to what you can cook!!
i would recommend it to anyone, but get it on the bay from america - works out much cheaper, even with the postage

Nick,
I have one of these - I have no idea where it came from but it has holes in it and was always used as a pot strainer/ steamer in our house (it must be about 20 years old by now)

I think it was the Grilliput portable grill rack that led to this being taken up as a viable design for a contained open fire. Looks like the manufacturers took the design of my steamer, eliminated the holes (don't want too much aeration from underneath in a wood fire) and bingo! It's another "no trace" alternative - something I'm very interested in and an elegant, portable alternative. I'd be intertested to see how it performed in the real world - and, no, I'm not going to light a wood fire in what my wife uses to steam vegetables :D

yep Lakeland sell them its a bit smaller

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/product.a..._catalogname=AutumnKitchen_2007&rfx_catalog=1

you could line with BBQ foil to fill the holes or a bit of Dirt

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ive one of those folding BBQs (you may have seen it at the moot)

they are pretty easy to get at car boots

I dont think they would last too long, maybe a season of heavy use, but they are cheap enough

Nick,

I've got one of these, nicked it from my mum when I moved out. I had the idea of using it as a fire bowl , tried it a few times & it worked ok even with the holes, I'll have to look it out from the junk in the shed hehe & give it a clean .

Tree

I looked my bowl out last night(one with the holes), used a small circular bit of SS to cover the holes in the bottom and sparked up a small fire , sat with my 3yr old daughter for about an hour with the fire blazing away no problems noticed even with a strong breeze it burned really well and as the fire burnt down , we just started to close up the bowl, which seemed to concentrate the heat , it was then time to put my little one to her bed, so I just closed the bowl over the embers.
1hr later I went back out & started it up again from the still glowing embers. This is great , I'm glad I saw this post . It's much better than any of my other little back garden stoves, cleaner & leaves no marks where it was sitting , which will make the missus happier. I'll just have to try it next time I go out on a little jaunt & see if I can brew up using it.

Tree

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Tamarack (No link etc etc etc!) sell a SS version for £12.50

http://www.tamarackoutdoors.co.uk/d...raft&filterb=Fire and Light&filterc=Grilliput

4445.jpg

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I had the grill and the bowl from the States at the start of the year I believe. The bowl was fine, but I found the grill a bit flimsy so sold them both on eBay and got my money back. I think I payed about £27 inc post for both so shop around for the best price

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE