Elderberries

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pixelseventy2

May 11, 2015
Stoke-on-Trent
Hi, everyone. I had my first attempt at making jelly today, using blackberries and elderberries that I've collected. I've got it straining at the moment. I used about 700g of blackberries, and 200g of elderberries, with 900g of apples.

My question is, do I need to be concerned if there were a few unripe elderberries in there? My daughter helped strip the berries, and I'm pretty sure between us that a few unripe ones got through.

What do you think? Thanks.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Unripe ones shouldn't be a problem healthwise. A great deal (25%) may make things a little bitter. Do be aware that some people react to eating elderberries. I never have myself but its something to be aware of.

pixelseventy2

May 11, 2015
Stoke-on-Trent
Thanks. There'll only be a few, and maybe a few stalks, but I guess all the cooking will help too. There's just a lot of paranoia on the Internet. Guess I should stop reading it :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It's amazing how many people make knowledgeable sounding pronouncements on subjects they have no experience of ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's possible to use a fork to remove the elderberries from the stalks. Really best they don't end up in jam, in jelly it's not so much of a problem but they can be bitter….and considering it's elderberries we're discussing, that's saying something.

I am happy to eat the berries raw, but I know that a lot of people just cannot digest them comfortably. Better safe than sorry; cook them if you haven't tried them before.

cheers,
Toddy

pixelseventy2

May 11, 2015
Stoke-on-Trent
It's possible to use a fork to remove the elderberries from the stalks. Really best they don't end up in jam, in jelly it's not so much of a problem but they can be bitter….and considering it's elderberries we're discussing, that's saying something.

I am happy to eat the berries raw, but I know that a lot of people just cannot digest them comfortably. Better safe than sorry; cook them if you haven't tried them before.

cheers,
Toddy
Thanks. These are all well cooked, it's the few unripe ones I was concerned about. It's only around 10% elderberry though.

Of course, that assumes it actually sets; I'm not optimistic :( I used the small pan, as the big one was used to sterilise the jars, and I had to transfer part way through, so I suspect I might have over boiled it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They'll be fine :) It's jelly so it's all 'juiced out' anyway.
It should set fine too, overboiling can just sometimes leave a very 'cooked' fruit taste, but it's never bad jam so long as you don't get it burnt stuck on the bottom of the pot :D

The brambles are lovely just now :D

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE