Skipton and Keighley elderberries

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Can anyone recommend best places in the Skipton and Keighley area to forage elderberries? I'm in that area in about 10 days time with the sole purpose of taking cuttings and collecting berries from some of the more prolific bushes.

A bit of background. There are no UK sourced high yielding quality elderberry strains available to buy. I have a long term project to create an elderberry wine business. I lack good UK strains. Travelling and observing elderberries wherever I am over the years has suggested some prime areas to source varieties from at the right season and moment. That is now coming up. Skipton and Keighley area seems a good area to focus a search in as the area seems from observation especially rich in an unusual type of elderberry that can be used to make white wines. This normally only occurs where the local population have been putting elderberries to use for probably many generations. They thus accidentally scatter the seeds of the bushes they harvested from, and thus high yielding interesting strains tend to grow up around their dwellings.

Richard

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE