Elastic on the back of a rucksack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Does anyone know the intended purpose for that criss-cross of elastic you often get on the back of a rucksack?
I've often wondered.
I've still never found a use for it, and wondered if it had a specific purpose.
No need to reply if all you can think of is 'use it for what you want' - out of morbid curiosity I'd be interested to know what purpose the designers actually had in mind (unless, of course, they did intend it for whatever the user wanted).
Cheers.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I always thought it was for stuffing wet jackets into when it's stopped raining, often wondered myself though tbh

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Its to compress the pack if its not full-it moves the load towards the carriers back, making the load less upsetting to the centre of balance and stops it moving inside the pack.

I always have loads of room in my pack after the first night of a trip, coz I've gnoshed a loaf of bread, and drunk plenty of cider. :)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It's just a place for quickly stuffing fleeces/gloves/hats and stuff to keep them handy and to save opening the whole thing up. And wet jackets of course.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
it could also be a helmet web?

It's definitely a helmet web.It's a throwback to the older style climbing packs .A similar thing id the "D" rings found on some military style packs,they were originally intended for securing the large pack to the webbing.No longer neccessary but still fitted to many.

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
Does anyone know the intended purpose for that criss-cross of elastic you often get on the back of a rucksack?
I've often wondered.
I've still never found a use for it, and wondered if it had a specific purpose.
No need to reply if all you can think of is 'use it for what you want' - out of morbid curiosity I'd be interested to know what purpose the designers actually had in mind (unless, of course, they did intend it for whatever the user wanted).
Cheers.

Someone told me that they were designed to carry crampons. No idea whether or not that is true though...

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
These bungee cord straps are proper useful things :)

My pack says 'bungee compression system'.

Sounds like a completely different thing to the small zig zag mounted elastic durulz is asking about. The elastic on these isn't strong enough for compression and in the wrong place. It more a retention system than the one you have on your pack.

On the backer here:

SabreDelta35.gif

And top here:

2May200925.jpg

I removed it from the top of mine as it snagged on a branch while I was biking and pulled me clean off.

20May20104.jpg

Last edited:

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
The shock-cord on top of my Highlander Forces 20-something I use to secure whatever doesn't fit inside the pack.

1) loosen shock-cord
2) jam [whatever] underneath said cord
3) tighten cord-lock and get on with life

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Sounds like a completely different thing to the small zig zag mounted elastic durulz is asking about. The elastic on these isn't strong enough for compression and in the wrong place. It more a retention system than the one you have on your pack.

On the backer here:

SabreDelta35.gif

And top here:

2May200925.jpg

I removed it from the top of mine as it snagged on a branch while I was biking and pulled me clean off.

20May20104.jpg

That looks completely different, definitely not for compression.

akabu

Tenderfoot
Apr 23, 2006
USA
Crampons and What ever you wish. Leave them Loose and rue the Day in the forest Grabbers, Use Full.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Yes, it seems no one really knows exactly what it's for.
I've still to find a good use for it. I think a mesh panel on the back, similar to the Snugpak Slekka Forces 35 has, would be more use - being secure around the edges means things won't fall out, but still enable it to be used to stick wet things in to dry.
Ho hum.
Cheers anyway.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Looking at the booklet that came with one of my sacks, they are described as 'bungee stuff straps'. So there ya go.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE