EKA Nordic W11 knife

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
EKA Nordic W11 Bushcraft/survival knife

Came across this on Ebay, anyone heard of them, sounds good but it's a European sale, so a bit risky

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I owned one for a few days. I have also owned the small H8 knife by EKA

The handles looked like they wouldn't be big enough but somehow they were. They are infact very comfy to use and give a very good grip (I used the H8 but not the W11). Both the H8 and W11 had handles which are a fair bit wider then that of the F1 (which a lot of people think it a bit too thin). They have straight sides and there is no drop behind the little finger so it's rather difficult to use a chopping action with them though.The blade had a deeper hollow grind and bigger secondary bevel then I was expexting and I know that I don't get on too well with that blade profile. It was a well ground edge with bevels being even on both sides and the edge bevel being tidy (I find that some companies seem to have difficulty keeping a even edge bevel round the belly of the blade). I think most people convex the edge with this knife. They were both well made knives and had good quality leather sheaths with them. The blade seemed to be a lot bigger then the F1 even though it's only 1cm bigger. The point is a little lower so point control should be a little better then a F1 while you get a similar amount of cutting edge.
I got mine on ebay in the US but the seller will slightly undercut his ebay buy it bow price if you go direct to his website. His name was hillbilly sales and he was a pleasure to deal with. $72 (£42 at the time)will get you one from the US and that includes postage. I was hit for £8.25 import taxes IIRC.

Hope this helps
Andy

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
Cheers mate,
I saw it on evilbay and they wanted £69.99 for it, i was tempted, but then again im'e like a magpie with shiny sharp things, i didn't bite, and thought ide wait for some info to come through. Glad i did now :)
Thanks again.

Mark

hammy

Forager
Sep 28, 2004
Pegswood, Northumberland.
Andy said:
I owned one for a few days. I have also owned the small H8 knife by EKA

The handles looked like they wouldn't be big enough but somehow they were. They are infact very comfy to use and give a very good grip (I used the H8 but not the W11). Both the H8 and W11 had handles which are a fair bit wider then that of the F1 (which a lot of people think it a bit too thin). They have straight sides and there is no drop behind the little finger so it's rather difficult to use a chopping action with them though.The blade had a deeper hollow grind and bigger secondary bevel then I was expexting and I know that I don't get on too well with that blade profile. It was a well ground edge with bevels being even on both sides and the edge bevel being tidy (I find that some companies seem to have difficulty keeping a even edge bevel round the belly of the blade). I think most people convex the edge with this knife. They were both well made knives and had good quality leather sheaths with them. The blade seemed to be a lot bigger then the F1 even though it's only 1cm bigger. The point is a little lower so point control should be a little better then a F1 while you get a similar amount of cutting edge.
I got mine on ebay in the US but the seller will slightly undercut his ebay buy it bow price if you go direct to his website. His name was hillbilly sales and he was a pleasure to deal with. $72 (£42 at the time)will get you one from the US and that includes postage. I was hit for £8.25 import taxes IIRC.

Hope this helps
Andy

How would you go about convexing the edge of one of these ?
I.ve just bought one and haven't got much of an idea how iwould go about sharping it in the field.
cheers

iamwill

Apr 11, 2006
Leeds, UK
I am new to this game so stop me if I am wrong. I have an Eka Nordic W11 knife which I bought after much deliberation and reading of reviews for my arguably most important tool of bushcraft.

This weekend though I have been putting it though its paces. It was so good at splitting wood I could not believe. Whittling on the other hand is another matter, I was struggling to carve a firestarting drill from a piece of sycamore for about half an hour thinking god this stuff is hard to work. Then my mate comes along and says just try my knife (a Frosts Mora bought for £8) and it goes through like a hot knife though butter!

I think it must be the bevel angle. It has a primary concaved bevel and what seems to be quite a wide secondary bevel. I have heard of people reworking the blade to give it an edge like a puukko. The blade uses 12C27 Sandvik steel and I have course oil stones and an as yet unused 1000/6000 waterstone. Any advice on what grind to use and how to regrind this knife would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Will

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Will,

I've got a Mora Clipper in 12c27 Sandvik myself. It happens to be the first fixed blade that I've ever bought, and I definately made the right choice. Technically, it's a Scandi grind which correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't have a secondary bevel.

My preferred way of sharpening it is this, which gives it a slight convex grind and works extremely well for me:

1) Take a mousepad and rip the thin backing off of it

2) Take some wet/dry sandpaper, and cut it to fit the mousepad. I use 220 grit and a 340. You'll also need a leather belt and some buffing compound for stropping. Or a piece of cardboard.

3) Tack the sandpaper to your mousepad, and lay the knife onto it, bevel down. Then drag it away from you, as many times as it takes before you feel a wire edge. Repeat on the other side until you feel the wire edge on the other side.

4) Then you can move onto the fine grit sandpaper and repeat the process. It's a good time to listen to some music or make fun of Ray Mears.

5) Take your leather belt or strop or cardboard or whatever you have and rub some buffing compound onto it. Not too much, just a little bit. Now strop your blade. You'll know the stropping's working when the buffing compound starts to turn black. This removes the wire edge and polishes the bevel.

6) Rinse the blade off and then go have a shave. Welcome to "Scary Sharp!"

Adam

iamwill

Apr 11, 2006
Leeds, UK
Hi Adam

Cheers, i have heard of using this hoodoo hone to get a convex edge which holds a keen edge well and is strong, this is very appealing but i am sure that my Eka Nordic W11 has a hollow grind or concave main bevel and i don't think i could use this method without firstly flattening off this main bevel :confused:

please help

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Will,

Actually, I think you probably could slightly convex your EKA with a hoodoo one, it'll just take a bit more time and energy.

Alternately you could just take it to an oilstone and work the entire length of the bevel. This would involve taking off quite a lot of metal, but I'm sure the end result would be most satisfying. http://www.canit.se/~griffon/knives/eka/eka_nordic_w11.html If that is your knife, then it's a flat grind, and not concave. It shouldn't be too difficult to convex it.

Good luck!

Adam

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Does the H8 have a different grind to the W11 then?
I have the H8 and it's the sharpest and easiest to sharpen of all my knives on a hoodoo hone.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Well if the W11 is hollow ground with a secondary bevel, then it shouldn't be too difficult to convex the cutting edge and not the entire blade. Or would that not at all be suitable?

Adam

iamwill

Apr 11, 2006
Leeds, UK
cheers guys

i will try to convex he edge with the old Hoodoo when i manage to find a mouse mat! i have had a look at the knife now I'm home and i would have to take off a hell of a lot of metal to give it a flat bevel because it is so concave at the moment. loks like i could probably make a convex edge easy enough. Keep you posted on the results, may even take some photos for all of you who doubt the concve bevel!

peace, Will :D

hammy

Forager
Sep 28, 2004
Pegswood, Northumberland.
iamwill said:
cheers guys

i will try to convex he edge with the old Hoodoo when i manage to find a mouse mat! i have had a look at the knife now I'm home and i would have to take off a hell of a lot of metal to give it a flat bevel because it is so concave at the moment. loks like i could probably make a convex edge easy enough. Keep you posted on the results, may even take some photos for all of you who doubt the concve bevel!

peace, Will :D

I'm at the same stage as you.
And have found the same answers on various forums, have made my hoodoo and practiced on old kitchen knives.
The Q now is where and what grit wet and dry should i use and where to get it?
Then I will take the plunge and go to work on my new knife.....

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
I use a 200 to start off, and finish up with a 340 because I ran out of 400 grit. And then after I just use a bare mousepad sans paper for a final polish. It works wonderfully on SAK's as well!

Adam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE