EDC no more?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
I laughed and told him to wind his neck in, whilst showing him a small laminated card with the wording of the law and a small ruler on the bottom. I downloaded the card in PDF format after a similar thread on here a few years ago...sorry I can't find the link now tho.

I did exactly the same thing and the card lives in my wallet.

i'd love to get hold of one of these cards you guys have, don't suppose anyone has a scanner? the link to the original pdf appears now gone and i'm not a member of BB.
thanks
pete

Pete
I saved the pdf when it originally appeared just in case the link was changed. pm me your email address and I'll send it on to you.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Not really an everyday need to carry a blade around town or city. If you have a blade on you I suspect you will perhaps subconciously find a use for one that in reality is not there, you create a need in effect. Keep a little diary for a month and record how often you actually need a blade on your person.

You must have sharper teeth or nails than me then, rik!

I carry my fountain pen and paper everywhere i go, and I would be greatly inconvenienced to not have it on me when I needed it. I feel the same way about my knife. Some people would diagree to needing either. But to carry or not is not the topic at hand, and IMO if it is to be discussed it should be else where.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I never carry one unless out camping / canoeing etc. Every so often I regret not being able to open a blister pack etc, about once a month. However I am an office softie and if I were a professional gardener / timber-worker / other tradesman, I am sure I would need one all the time.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I've managed to go 55 years without the need of a knife on me, why on earth carry a blade on you?

I'm a parkie and need one almost every day. I have a small Laguiole that is always on my keys and a british army clasp knife or Svord peasant always in my pocket. I have good reason to have these TOOLS (sorry I always have to clarify that a knife is a tool. It's the PERSON that makes one a weapon) and could prove it in a court of law. If you don't have a reason to carry a blade other than you just "want to" then like Rik says.. Why bother?

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I don't carry a knife on my person when in Glasgow but I do have one in my back pack.

I prefer knowing I have it should I need it. The blade lives in the same pouch as my FAK. I've carried the lot around for a good few years now.

When I'm in back home in Dorset however, I carry a blade almost every day. I don't use it all that often and I usually need one when I don't have it, but it does get used.

All the best
Andy

Soundmixer

Forager
Mar 9, 2011
Angus, Scotland
So far today I've cut two tie wraps, a label from the back of an office chair, opened a couple of cardboard boxes, cut open the blister packs inside the boxes, burst the airbag protection the items arrived wrapped in, had half my pork pie for lunch early, and I know for sure that my banana will be stubborn and require beheading when I finally get lunch. I don't know what the afternoon will bring!

Last night I cut the stitching on two cordura loops on my 5.11 tool bag, used the knife to cut the thread, fitted a torch belt holster to the bag and sewed the loops back on. Guess what I cut the extra thread with?

I can't imagine leaving the house without my yellow CV Peanut. I don't like large knives and I'm well below the legal limit and I also think that the look of the Peanut helps. Quite often I'll get "my Grandad had one like that" and no-one bats an eye. It hides in a pocket until it's needed and is quite unassuming.

Most sheeple have an image of knives being a weapon so is it not up to those who like "tools" to try and put them at ease?

If I had tuppence that would be it given...

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You must have sharper teeth or nails than me then, rik!

I carry my fountain pen and paper everywhere i go, and I would be greatly inconvenienced to not have it on me when I needed it. I feel the same way about my knife. Some people would diagree to needing either. But to carry or not is not the topic at hand, and IMO if it is to be discussed it should be else where.

I agree 100% about the fountain pen, I've a Parker 51 I've had for decades (1966 IIRC) :) My handwriting is awful, but with the Parker I always take my time and this benefits others reading my work afterwards. That said, since retiring I've not really used it; I must flush it out and clean the nib.

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
I use my knife everyday for opening parcels/wrapping etc.
I carry a knife around with me nearlly all the time. BUT and a big BUT if I am going somewhere I think there may be trouble or just know I don't need a knife, then I remove it and leave it at home. I do carry a swiss army credit card(you know the card with pen etc in it). Now that has a fixed blade so I suppose it is illegal?
It is always in my breast pocket and again is used every day.
I work in a school and we have a pc in site (not allowed to call them that !! not because we have a load of trouble but to liase with the community), I have had many a conversation with her about knives etc. She agrees, the crime is with kitchen knives etc not bushcraft knives. But the law has never been known for making sense now has it?
Alan

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I agree 100% about the fountain pen, I've a Parker 51 I've had for decades (1966 IIRC) :) My handwriting is awful, but with the Parker I always take my time and this benefits others reading my work afterwards. That said, since retiring I've not really used it; I must flush it out and clean the nib.

The pen is mightier than the....sword/knife/edc? :D

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
It seems that the PDF document is quite a popular request based on the number of pms I'm getting so I have attached it here. (I hope).
Please remember this hasn't been updated since it was originally online so you are using it at your own risk. Any changes to the law since it was issued are not included and it's up to the individual to check these out.

View attachment cja1988_s139_card.pdf

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
I expect some of you will batter me with legislation for this but this is how i do things personaly.
unfortunatly i dont have the luxury of a driving licence, so when i go out bushcrafting or camping i go on foot, my puukko and leuku, FAK and other kit go into my bag stuffed at the bottom until i reach my destination away from veiw. every day i carry a SAK in my pocket, in town, around police officers ect. freinds and I have been caught at a campout with several fixed blades, an axe and a chainsaw, the police didnt even mention them and mearly asked me to move along.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
It seems that the PDF document is quite a popular request...

Yes.
I don't know why, though.
If I was a Police officer and going to arrest you for having an offensive weapon I certainly wouldn't take the advice of a stupid bit of card you produced telling me what the law was - as far as I would be concerned if I thought you were such a risk as to arrest you in the first place then I wouldn't trust a bit a paper that you could easily have lied and written yourself - I'd still arrest you, take you to the nick and let the custody sergeant decide!
I think that bit of card may give some a bit of false confidence. If you're going to get nicked, you're going to get nicked - and I don't think producing a bit of paper that the arresting officer has no idea who wrote or the veracity of the information it contains will stop the arrest.
I think you'll find the best way of avoiding an arrest is for the person carrying a knife to show common sense and not rely on a bloody-minded interpretation of the law, and for the law to show an equal amount of common sense. And that bit of paper isn't it!

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
Yes.
If I was a Police officer and going to arrest you for having an offensive weapon I certainly wouldn't take the advice of a stupid bit of card you produced telling me what the law was - as far as I would be concerned if I thought you were such a risk as to arrest you in the first place then I wouldn't trust a bit a paper that you could easily have lied and written yourself - I'd still arrest you, take you to the nick and let the custody sergeant decide!
I think that bit of card may give some a bit of false confidence. If you're going to get nicked, you're going to get nicked - and I don't think producing a bit of paper that the arresting officer has no idea who wrote or the veracity of the information it contains will stop the arrest.
I think you'll find the best way of avoiding an arrest is for the person carrying a knife to show common sense and not rely on a bloody-minded interpretation of the law, and for the law to show an equal amount of common sense. And that bit of paper isn't it!

What if you were a police officer confused about the law on carrying tools?

This piece of paper would surely enlighten you, to which you would get on the radio and confirm it is correct and let said person with tool carry on about their day. That is unless they are being offensive with that tool to which you would arrest them for being offensive with a tool. Not carrying it......

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Yes.

That is a fair response if you are using your knife in an offensive way but I don't see the card as a get out of jail free card. I carry the card in case common sense and diplomacy fail or if the officer is unsure of the rules. As has already been said they cannot be expected to remember every law word by word.

I think carrying the card also strengthens your case in that you have made the effort to understand your legal obligations and have actually investigated further. How many thugs would go to that much effort and offer the information? At the end of the day it's how you present yourself to the questioning officer that counts.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
So is this how you've scripted the scenario in your heads, then:

Police Officer (straight out of the 1950's 'Dixon of Dock Green' coppering): Excuse me, sir, but can you explain why you've entered a public house with what appears to be a knife on your belt?

Bushcrafter: It's OK, officer, it's a non-locking blade under 3".

Police Officer: That, sir, is an offensive weapon.

Bushcrafter: Oh contrere, officer. As you'll see by this bit of paper I've printed out for your beneift, it is quite legal to carry without reason or excuse.

Police Officer: Gor blimey, sir. So it is! I am very sorry to have troubled you and, may I say, how responsible it is of you to have such a card - it makes our job all that easier.

Or do you think it may go like this:

Police Officer (in his twenties or thirties, looking to up his collar rate): Excuse me, sir, but can you explain why you've entered a public house with what appears to be a knife on your belt?

Bushcrafter: It's OK, officer, it's a non-locking blade under 3".

Police Officer: That, sir, is an offensive weapon.

Bushcrafter: Oh contrere, officer. As you'll see by this bit of paper I've printed out for your beneift, it is quite legal to carry without reason or excuse.

Police Officer: That bit of paper is meaningless, sir - anyone could have written anything on it. It is your choice - either give me the knife or I will have to arrest you for having an offensive weapon.

Bushcrafter: You are in the wrong and I know my rights, officer.

Police Officer: Then you can explain your rights to the magistrate - I am not here to pass sentence I am here to enforce the law. Let the magistrate decide, because you're nicked.

That bit of paper is pointless and meaningless. You will be better served by carrying and using a knife sensibly rather than bleating about the law and whether your are in the right or wrong. You may well be right and get away with, but are you going to go through the anxiety and stress of having to appear in court all for the pleasure of carrying a SAK? Carry it when you need it, put it away when you don't. That's the best advice, not a useless bit of paper that patronises the attending officer. It's up to you. If that card makes you feel better, then that's great. But that's all it's doing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE