Ebola confirmed in Glasgow, via Heathrow, Casablanca and Sierra leone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well, sort of

"Adam Lanza killed 26 students and teachers at Sandy Hook School with an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle."

Of course the most common unifying factor in violent crime in this country is alcohol. So unless one wants to be held up as a total hypocrite, the first thing anyone should campaign to ban would be all legal alcohol sources.

Failing to do so would show one not to be concerned about human life but pursuing a cynical personal agenda

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Of course the most common unifying factor in violent crime in this country is alcohol. So unless one wants to be held up as a total hypocrite, the first thing anyone should campaign to ban would be all legal alcohol sources.

Failing to do so would show one not to be concerned about human life but pursuing a cynical personal agenda
You can extend that argument the other way and say why not let anyone own and operate any weapon... amassing private armies if they so desire.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
My argument as you put it is based upon scientific fact. If you want to ban things that lead to violent attacks and death, why not start with the single most common factor in violence? It has been shown repeatedly that alcohol is the the single most common unifying factor in violent crime. Why,if your cause is to reduce violent attacks, would you not start with the single largest problem? Let's use some logic here.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
How sporting. And disconcerting.

Just what the world needs more of. Paranoid survivalists with semi automatics mowing down deer for fun.

The caliber's too light for deer. Mostly used for varmints and vermin such as wild hogs and coyotes.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
My argument as you put it is based upon scientific fact. If you want to ban things that lead to violent attacks and death, why not start with the single most common factor in violence? It has been shown repeatedly that alcohol is the the single most common unifying factor in violent crime. Why,if your cause is to reduce violent attacks, would you not start with the single largest problem? Let's use some logic here.
Because prohibition doesn't work, it's been tried. Gun restrictions in our country at least do seem to. Low hanging fruit Red.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Because prohibition doesn't work, it's been tried. Gun restrictions in our country at least do seem to. Low hanging fruit Red.

Are they? Gun restriction there are semiworking to keep guns out of criminal hands for now. Your criminals will get smarter. in the meantime you're also handicapping your honest citizens ability to defend themselves.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

That's an absurd argument. We have never tried prohibition. Or do you mean "neither prohibition nor firearms licencing work in the US, but firearms licencing does work here so we should not try prohibition"? Even you can see the falacy there if you lay aside your prejudices for a second.

Come to that, the tool most used to kill in this country is the knife. So why aren't you advocating restriction in the carrying of knives? Your arguments don't relate to the common causes of, or tools used in, violent crime in the UK.

Whatever you objective, it patently has nothing to do with the real causes of violence in this country.

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Gun restrictions work? S'funny that - only on the "honest, law-abiding" population. Yet gun-crime is still around, and guns easy enough to come by if you really want one. In the same way that it is illegal to carry a knife in public without good reason, yet knife crime and knife murders still occur. Laws only work for those who obey them.......

And why only mention the UK and US? Guns on the continent are readily available in most countries without it being a particular problem. Indeed the Swiss have millions of genuine, fully automatic assault rifles held in the general population - way more than in the USA. Yet the worst crime you're likely to find in Switzerland are the toll charges and coffee prices!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Don't be daft red. The laws that get passed are the ones which cost least to enforce but have the most impact. There is economics even in law.

You abstract things to absurdity.

The laws that get passed are the ones that stir the most emotions. Little to do with effect or practicality.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oh come on, so laws in this country are passed for effect but laws in other countries are passed to appease lobbies? Can you not hear the inconsistencies in your arguments? I can show you the tools and causes most associated with violence, but that does nothing to change your priorities.

Since logic, science and consistency do not factor into your rationale, there is little point in discussing your prejudices further.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Oh come on, so laws in this country are passed for effect but laws in other countries are passed to appease lobbies? Can you not hear the inconsistencies in your arguments? I can show you the tools and causes most associated with violence, but that does nothing to change your priorities.

Since logic, science and consistency do not factor into your rationale, there is little point in discussing your prejudices further.
You can't ban a knife red as you well know. You chose an argument based on the passion it will rouse on this forum. But a knife is a tool. A sidearm or a semi automatic rifle is not.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
In your country it would seem they're the ones with the biggest lobby behind them.

I sometimes get that impression as well. This year was a welcome exception though. The antigun side (Bloomberg et al) spent several times more than the gun right side (NRA, 2nd Amendment Foundation, et al) and yet they lost 3/4 of the elections.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk

And back off accusing me of prejudice. I have been nothing but civil. Your reaction is out of order.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....a knife is a tool. A sidearm or a semi automatic rifle is not.

Really? Why not? Semiautomatic rifles and shotguns have been popular hunting tools for over 90 years; long before the AR15 was on the civilian market. My current (for the last 25 years) deer rifle is the Model 74, the poor man's variant of the model 742:

Over 60 years ago my dad's shotgun was the model 11-48 (I still have it) which was replaced by the gas operated model 1100

th

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Really? Why not? Semiautomatic rifles and shotguns have been popular hunting tools for over 90 years; long before the AR15 was on the civilian market. My current (for the last 25 years) deer rifle is the Model 74, the poor man's variant of the model 742:

Over 60 years ago my dad's shotgun was the model 11-48 (I still have it) which was replaced by the gas operated model 1100

th
Shotguns and hunting rifles are legal in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE