Bushcrafter found dead in Highland bothy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
A sad loss for his family , i don't know all the circumstances or facts of the story but good on him for getting out there and giving it a try . Sometimes things work out sometimes they don't , if things had worked out well what a story he would have had to tell .

Craig...........

Last edited:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Mate, you've read a small snippet of a media report, you dont know all the facts of this sad death and for all you know he could have been a member on here and may have had friends on here. He may well of been very prepared for all we know, we have all seen how these incidents can be blow up and sensationalised by the media. As i said earlier, whats done is done, try to show some respect please.

That's a fair point Col, but also remember that around 150,000 people die every day and that fake-sentimentality can be equally vulgar. Neither should stop us from looking and learning from their mistakes.

atross

Nomad
Sep 22, 2006
London
I saw this a few hours ago, it is sad to hear but it imediately made me think of a post on here from someone looking to live out for a year about 3-4 months back and of a few individuals I have spoken to recently planning to do the same. I hope they are well and safe.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
I saw this a few hours ago, it is sad to hear but it imediately made me think of a post on here from someone looking to live out for a year about 3-4 months back and of a few individuals I have spoken to recently planning to do the same. I hope they are well and safe.

Thats exactly what i thought of when i read the OP, i remember someone getting stick last year for this one and hope its not that lad, as i remember him not being too experienced. But no matter who it was, it really is a shame for his family and the fact that he had his whole life in front of him.

I also think its all too easy to slate people who end up like this, if people didnt push their comfort zone in life, we would all still think the earth was flat. Some people succeed some dont, i dont know if he was prepared for it or not, but at the least we should give him credit for having the guts to give it a shot and live his life with a sense of freedom.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Thats exactly what i thought of when i read the OP, i remember someone getting stick last year for this one and hope its not that lad, as i remember him not being too experienced. But no matter who it was, it really is a shame for his family and the fact that he had his whole life in front of him.

<Snip

I think it was Drew that was talking about such plans. It's not him and I doubt if Drew would ever get that far out to be honest.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
I think it was Drew that was talking about such plans. It's not him and I doubt if Drew would ever get that far out to be honest.

I dont know Wayland, he made it as far as Comriecroft at New Year, although to be fair i see what your saying, if i remember right, he may have had a few drinks with his Scottish cousins and got lost later that night and couldnt find his hammock, which was only a few yards walk away from the fire lol.

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
We also need to bear in mind this is a Daily Fail news article so the content is as reliable as that found in The Sun, just with (slightly) bigger words.

Thoughts to his family.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
No doubt the truth , will out in the end . Firstly regardless of how well prepared or experienced he was , whether it was an underlying ilness etc , i for one took a minute to feel for him and those he has left behind , so lets tip our hats for what we hope, and are so far led to believe was a life choice . Thoughts with his obviously disraught family and friends .

Ivan...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
To be fair though, the subject is also in our papers too. The Herald has it in this morning's issue.
Seems to say pretty much what the other papers are reporting though.

M

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
I feel sorry for the poor sod that found him. Never nice dealing with a corpse, and one thats been left out for several weeks is going to leave a mental image that'll not fade easily. My sympathies also to his bereaved mother.

Didn't even take a mobile phone with him then?

Out of respect for your earlier stated wishes Tony(Mod) I'll say no more.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
A very sad story and a reminder to any of us who venture out into the wilder parts that we are not doing it risk free. A falling branch, a bad slip into water, a broken limb or sudden medical problem could potentially put any of us into a very difficult situation if we are alone.

My thoughts with his kin too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE