Bushcrafter found dead in Highland bothy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2089634/Bear-Grylls-survival-challenge-man-dead-remote-Scottish-mountain-hut.html

Sad story, hope it's not a friend of board members.

[h=1]Adventurer who wanted to live like Bear Grylls in Scottish wilderness for a year found dead in less than a month[/h]
By GAVIN MADELEY

Last updated at 11:37 PM on 20th January 2012

A man found dead in a remote mountain hut was an adventurer who had planned a year-long Bear Grylls-style survival challenge in the Scottish wilderness.
David Austin, 29, from Derby, was found dead in a 'bothy' by a track worker near Corrour, a remote railway station in Highland Perthshire, on December 31 at 9.50am.
His body is believed to have been lying there for several weeks when it was discovered.
A post-mortem found there were no suspicious circumstances behind his death, which is understood to have been as a result of hypothermia.

article-2089634-0A7FDF82000005DC-577_470x328.jpg
David Austin, 29, from Derby, was found dead in a remote mountain hut ('bothy') near Corrour railway station in the Scottish Highlands

In November, Mr Austin had told his family he was heading north to live rough off the land - something for which survival expert Bear Grylls has become famous.
He is believed to have attended several courses in outdoor survival and bushcraft skills over the past couple of years in order to realise his dream, despite being urged by family and friends to reconsider his plans.
It is thought Mr Austin had not even taken a mobile phone with him, leaving him entirely at the mercy of the harsh winter.
A number of personal possessions including a knife and a daily journal were found next to his body.
Last night, his mother spoke of her grief after learning her son's fate.

article-2089634-0C39CB2C00000578-221_237x341.jpg
Last November, Mr Austin had told his family he was heading north to live rough off the land - something for which survival expert Bear Grylls (above) has become famous

She said: 'He loved his survival, climbing and that sort of training. I knew what he was going to do but I did not expect this.
'I'm distraught, I can't believe it. You don't expect this and I don't know how to deal with it.
'I'm too distraught to talk about it - there's someone coming tomorrow to sort everything out, but I don't know if I'll ever want to talk about it.'
Police have been trying to piece together Mr Austin's last known movements.
After setting off from Derby, he is thought to have travelled to Glasgow and then on to Corrour, on the West Highland Line, which is the UK's highest mainline station.
He is then believed to have spent his 29th birthday on December 3 alone outdoors, in the first heavy snowfall of the season and may have been heading towards the next railway station at Rannoch when he got into difficulties.
A hostel employee at the Loch Ossian SYHA hostel on Rannoch Moor said: 'He didn't stay here. He told me he'd been camping in the woods on the north side of the loch that weekend, then he just moseyed over to have a look at the hostel.'
During his doomed adventure, 29-year-old David Austin had visited a youth hostel on Rannoch moor

article-2089634-1163056F000005DC-366_468x286.jpg
Bear Grylls is seen here during one of his survival exercises in Scotland

Mary McArthur, one of only four permanent residents in the area, said: 'The story we heard was that he had taken a year out from work and was going to live off the land.
'He was supposed to have walked down the line towards Rannoch station so perhaps he decided to take shelter in the bothy. But what happened after that, who knows? We heard he was well equipped and knew what he was doing.'
Mrs McArthur added: 'We heard there were no suspicious circumstances but were not sure if it was hypothermia or a health complaint.

article-2089634-0062723100000578-687_233x423.jpg
Survival school instructor Ian Moran said it was extremely unlikely anybody could survive a Highland winter out of doors living off the land

'It's someone's son and a sad way to go, all alone in the middle of nowhere.'
A British Transport Police spokesman confirmed the man had been identified as a 29-year-old from the East Midlands and that there appeared to be no suspicious circumstances.
A Crown Office spokesman confirmed that the procurator fiscal in Perth had recently received a report from BTP but was unable to provide any further details.
Rannoch is a 23-mile long stretch of open moorland between the A9 to the east and the A82 to the west. Apart from walking in, the only access is via the West Highland Railway line that crosses the moor.
The settlement at Rannoch Station comprises three houses, the Moor of Rannoch Hotel and the railway station. The nearest large town, Pitlochry, is 65 miles away.
Survival school instructor Ian Moran, who teaches extreme survival and bushcraft skills, said it was extremely unlikely anybody could survive a Highland winter out of doors living off the land.
He said: 'It would be a tall order for even the most professional person who calls himself a survivalist. Maybe centuries ago, when Scotland was covered in woodland and teeming with wildlife, but not now.'
He said with key core skills - he teaches rabbit skinning, natural navigation and making rope from nettles -- someone should be able to survive 72 hours before rescue, depending on weather conditions.
He added: 'Personally, I have four priorities of survival - fire, shelter, water and food.
'A human body can go three weeks without food so long as it is hydrated, but you have to process or filter water to drink otherwise you get sick.'

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Very sad news indeed and my thoughts go out to his family, the rannoch moor is a really wild and bleak place even in summer, its hard for someone not used to these conditions to understand how wild and cold the rannoch can get. Someone has made a mistake and he and his family have paid a dear price, whats done is done, lets show some respect and keep any cheap comments to ourselves guys.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Rannock Moor would be a very challenging environment, even for an expert, without a storehouse of food.

I would think it's a pretty tall order, if not almost impossible to live off nothing but the fruits of a lowland woodland for 12 months, let alone one of the highest, coldest and most remote of Scottish moorlands. It's one thing to snare the occsional rabbit, but living off the land like that for 100% of your needs is incredibly hard, even for those born and raised into such an environment.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
We all appreciate the folly of the act, however we have all over reached ourselves at some point or another. So let's not take this opportunity to be judgemental. More general impersonal threads are where such comments belong.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Very sad, very misguided, very foolish. His challenge was impossible before it began.

Mate, you've read a small snippet of a media report, you dont know all the facts of this sad death and for all you know he could have been a member on here and may have had friends on here. He may well of been very prepared for all we know, we have all seen how these incidents can be blow up and sensationalised by the media. As i said earlier, whats done is done, try to show some respect please.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My father lived wild on Rannoch moor for nearly three years in the 1930's as he recovered from rheumatic fever. When he was fit he worked for the local farmers, and their wives saw him provided with potatoes, oatmeal, eggs, bit of bacon and cheese. He was a very capable man; he hunted and he fished, and he still came home lean as a whippet.

I don't think what this young man attempted could be done without a great deal of prior planning and preparation or at least regular contact with others, and begun a lot earlier in the year.
It does look though as though he were caught out in the weather without sufficient resources to get and keep himself warm, but was otherwise very able. Another day or so of clear weather and he might have been fine and reached help.

A real tragedy and we can only feel the greatest of sympathy for his family. Such a shame to lose a son like this.

M

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
We all appreciate the folly of the act, however we have all over reached ourselves at some point or another. So let's not take this opportunity to be judgemental. More general impersonal threads are where such comments belong.

Spot on, people are going to need to be considerate before posting in this thread.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Mate, you've read a small snippet of a media report, you dont know all the facts of this sad death and for all you know he could have been a member on here and may have had friends on here. He may well of been very prepared for all we know, we have all seen how these incidents can be blow up and sensationalised by the media. As i said earlier, whats done is done, try to show some respect please.

If his aim was to live off the land in Scotland for a year then he was misguided to say the least. Its very sad for his family and the lad will be in my prayers today which to me shows respect. Lets hope others learn from this poor chaps errors.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE