eBay bans sale of all knives....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Boon

Oct 10, 2007
lincolnshire
on the bright side i have just received a knife made by gary mills, bort from evil bay. am very happy with it,

it is not the knife that does the damage, it is the idiot behind it that is the problem. Having been involved in a knife attack/fight in the past i can understand why some want a total ban on knives, but I do not agree with it. the animals who attacked my friends and myself used everything from a stanley knife to one of those so-called tactical knives and a ban would not of made the least bit of diference to them. luckaly most of us only had superfisial injuries but one of our group was baddly injured by beleave it or not the stanley knife being slashed across his stomach (thank god for good quality leather jackets as that is all that saved him).

this ban is the sharp end of the wedge, soon we will not be alowed to think for ourselves and depend compleatly on the media and tv to make every desision on how to live and what to think etc. HOLD ON A MO AINT THAT WHAT IS HAPPENING KNOW.!!!!

E-BAY yet another example of knee jerk reaction.

Boon

If Ebay's ban on knife sales saves the life of just one person then that's fine by me - after all, some of the seller's aren't exactly stringent on ensuring buyers are over 18.

It won't though, will it.

Not only do I think this ban will be ineffective, I think the restriction on sales to under 18s is equally pointless.

If someone wants to stab someone and can't buy a knife anywhere - they'll open the top drawer in their mum's kitchen, or if they don't want it to be noticed, a friend's mum's kitchen and take one out, pocket it and away they go.

The ONLY people these bans affect in any significant way are legitimate knife users who will never use it to harm anyone other than their own dumb self when they slip and cut their hand (yep - I've been there too!)
Every scumbag on the face of the planet knows exactly where to get tools to stab people.

1> Mum's kitchen.
2> Dad's tool box.

It's so bloody obvious that this kind of action is absolutely transparent in being "seen to be doing something".

Of course - the damage it does to small businesses, be they hobby knifemakers or full time, will far outweigh any possible benefit.
The "if it saves just one life" argument is understandable, but fatally flawed at the most fundamental level.

Surely if Mr McVities can convince the world that the Jaffa Cake is not a biscuit then maybe you guys can come up to a historical precident that refers to a 'knife like tool' that resembles a knife in appearance, form and function (is a knife!) but isn't as far as the law is concerned... Just a thought! I know this is defeatism in the face of broad sweeping oppressive law but it could be another route!

Before setting up a #10 petition, you need to make sure you're directing it at the government in a meaningful way.

You need to know exactly what people are asking the government to do and have it properly worded to make that unavoidable.

Are you asking them to stop posturing to appease the media?
Are you asking them to address the real issue and leave knives and their legitimate users alone?
Are you asking them to turn back the clock to a more sensible time when locking blades were still pocket knives as the written law was worded to allow (as opposed to case law)?
Are you asking them to leay off legitimate "good reason" users like bushcrafters and so leaving the door open for a tighter stranglehold on "just because" Everyday Carry?

Be careful before starting such a petition as the wording can make a big difference.

Also be prepared for the response to basically be "bugger off" worded in a far more skirting manner.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Surely if Mr McVities can convince the world that the Jaffa Cake is not a biscuit...

As a pedantic aside, a biscuit is something that goes soft when left out. A cake is something that goes hard when left out. On that definition a Jaffa Cake is, indeed, a cake. McVities needed no verbal dexterity.

Boon

Oct 10, 2007
lincolnshire
I have just bort a new bushcrafting knife from ebay (2 mins ago) for my son as he wanted something a little better than his morria. ebay has changed the way you buy a knife by adding a system where you have to vareify your age using your cradit card detailes. just thought i would let everyone know.

Boon

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
Boon - that doesn't matter.
If you've got any positive feelings about liberty and aren't prepared to bend over and <censored> with a <censored> just in case it has any positive benefit whatsoever regardless of how unlikely that is - you're a daily mail reader.
;)

Ummm I think you've got that round the wrong way :p

What?
If you're a Daily Mail reader you'll have positive feelings about liberty and are prepared to be shafted "just in case it helps"?
I don't think I see it. :confused:

For the record - I don't read the Mail.

I just know it works that way as I'm kinda big on liberty (as anyone who knows me in person or has read a few of my posts will attest) and as a result am constantly being hit with the "typical Daily Mail reader" stick - which I find annoying - especially when I'm so opposed to so many things the "typical daily mail reader" would agree with.

Like the legalisation of all recreational drugs as a start. Can't see the average mail journo getting bent out of shape because that isn't ahppening ;)

Boon

Oct 10, 2007
lincolnshire
Boon - that doesn't matter.
If you've got any positive feelings about liberty and aren't prepared to bend over and <censored> with a <censored> just in case it has any positive benefit whatsoever regardless of how unlikely that is - you're a daily mail reader.
;)

thanks for pointing that out to me.

You mean daily mail readers don't have positive views about liberty?
I'm confused.

But then, I always get confused when people start using newspapers and accusations about reading different ones as compliments and insults. It's always struck me as really wierd. Haha.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
I read the Mail, when I take the trouble to buy a newspaper these days. I find it somewhat ironic that the sweeping generalisations used to portray Daily Mail readers is exactly the same type of reprehensible behaviour that is being condemned in this thread.
:lmao:

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
what utter bollix, I tried to buy a folding saw off ebay a month or so ago, was about £10 including post iirc - and they asked for my credit card details to prove my age! ***, I got one from b&q in the end for just over £13 out of principle.

Pancake throwers.....

trail2

Nomad
Nov 20, 2008
Canton S.Dakota (Ex pat)
Perhaps instead of a knife ban ,mandatory sentencing should be put in place.
No matter if you are 10 or 100 use a knife you go down for 10 years. None of this bleeding heart (sorry no pun intended) about Johnie is from a bad family or he lives with his Granny c**p. Send him down.
Buying a knife is not the problem its those who use it on others that are the problem.
Jon R.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE