eBay bans sale of all knives....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
I used a knife 5 times today, I guess that's life for me then.:p

Simon you really must grasp the fundamentals of mathematics, using the criteria that you quote, you would only get 50 years.:)

Correct interpretation of the facts is essential when compiling a cogent argument against knife use.:lmao:

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
Simon you really must grasp the fundamentals of mathematics, using the criteria that you quote, you would only get 50 years.:)

Correct interpretation of the facts is essential when compiling a cogent argument against knife use.:lmao:

I'm fast approaching 45, if you add on another 50 years, that would make me 95, family history suggests I'll be lucky to get to 95, so hence a life sentence :p ... unless I get time off for good behaviour....

but knowing me, that is unlikely :D

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
reading your reply I would state with some degree of confidence that it would be highly unlikely that you would receive ANY time off for good behaviour, Quite probably the opposite case would prove to be true, although I doubt whether any punishment would be effective in your case. You appear to be a very very naughty boy!:D

combatblade1

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 1, 2007
"I won't have a Spydi"
Where does all this info. about kitchen knives come from?

It won't though, will it.

Not only do I think this ban will be ineffective, I think the restriction on sales to under 18s is equally pointless.

If someone wants to stab someone and can't buy a knife anywhere - they'll open the top drawer in their mum's kitchen, or if they don't want it to be noticed, a friend's mum's kitchen and take one out, pocket it and away they go.

The ONLY people these bans affect in any significant way are legitimate knife users who will never use it to harm anyone other than their own dumb self when they slip and cut their hand (yep - I've been there too!)
Every scumbag on the face of the planet knows exactly where to get tools to stab people.

1> Mum's kitchen.
2> Dad's tool box.

It's so bloody obvious that this kind of action is absolutely transparent in being "seen to be doing something".

Of course - the damage it does to small businesses, be they hobby knifemakers or full time, will far outweigh any possible benefit.
The "if it saves just one life" argument is understandable, but fatally flawed at the most fundamental level.

combatblade1...
...For me it came from a few retied coppers I've met or spoken to online. All of them said the most common weapons they came across when searching rum'uns and in stabbing cases were kitchen knives and screwdrivers.

Taking that into account (along with the other things people get stabbed with including broken bottles and chisels) along with the completely common sense argument that anyone who is determined to stab someone need only open their kitchen drawer and take their pick of steak knives, foot long cook's knives, filleting knives, whatever's in there really, you get to the point where it becomes obvious that no ban will make things safer, just inconvenience, alienate and criminalise hobby knife collectors and legitimate knife carriers like myself (I carry a knife pretty much everywhere I go without breaking a single law in doing so).

The link wanderingblade seems to agree with that (and that's a chief - not some retiree - haha)

Feb 11, 2009
over here
Well now its just a matter of time before this happens in the U.S.
One positive thing about this would be not having to pay ebay twice (paypal) if your a seller. I used to get some really good deals on stuff until ebay started tacking extra fees for everything driving sellers to charge ridiculous shipping rates and screwing up some good deals. Ebay was a good market place for the masses to gather but Now sellers have to find a new outlet to sell their blades. People can sign petitions and bitch and moan all they want it probably won't change anything. Petitions never do anything but supply toilet paper to the folks who their intended for. the only purpose of a petition is giving the public some b.s. misconception of that they have some kind of say and what they say matters. Pure nonesense.

So how about some solutions and work arounds. its an opportunity for knife toting slashers to put their heads together. Think about how many people in this forum and other blade forums can come up with a bunch of ideas to tell ebay to FUCH OFF!!!

I'll start.
How about an auction site dedicated to cutlery, that is if one doesn't exist.
OR
Forums with sections for knifemakers to sell their goods. It already exists but maybe there can be room for improvement somehow making it easier for sellers and buyers. Like make it more inviting to your normal joe blow who is to dumb and lazy to go to a forum and scroll down their mouse wheel alllllllllllllll the way to the bottom of the forum page were the classifieds usually exist.
OR
create an auction site that sells everything that ebay bans. This will guarantee instant traffic as people like dabble into things which are not allowed.
OR
Everybody make a statement by wearing every single blade they own on them and walk around with a big blinky light protesting ebay by selling knives on the streets.
OR
Just renaming the purpose of the blade. i.e. Fallkniven tactical kitchen flat ground VG10 with micarta handles pairing knife. It can be marketed as something which easily turns an apple into something that doesn't look like an apple in 2 seconds but damn it was fun.

Sep 24, 2005
Aberdeenshire
Just thought I should point out that the "flick knife" Nicky Campbell was demonstrating on Watchdog was actually an assisted opener, or "semi-auto". These have been available to buy legally in the UK for years now (although this may have changed recently, not sure) but it was by no means a "flick knife". Semi-autos are opened by directly pressing on a protruding stub of the blade itself, which moves the blade from the closed position enough so that some torsion-bar or other pre-tensioned mechanism can take over and open it the rest of the way. A flick knife, either side opening or "out the front" is operated by a push or slide button, which is not actually part of the blade. This small distinction was what made it legal to sell semi-autos here in the first place.
What really made me laugh was the way that Nicky Campbell locked the knives in a suitcase, cue dramatic camera close-ups, and treated the whole shebang like it was a pint of nitro hooked up to a trembler fuse.
I'm sure it impressed the sheeple well enough, but it nearly gave me a coronary!

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
Just thought I should point out that the "flick knife" Nicky Campbell was demonstrating on Watchdog was actually an assisted opener, or "semi-auto". These have been available to buy legally in the UK for years now (although this may have changed recently, not sure)

This seems to have opened a can of worms due to interpretation of the wording of a 50 year old law by a certain section of HMRC based at Mount Pleasant Sorting Office, HMRC at Mount Pleasant seem to be leading the charge to reclassify assisted openers and one handed openers as flick or gravity knives.

Plenty of discussion on this subject has been had on that "blade site" (the name escapes me at the moment ....;) )

That'd be BritishBlades, Simon.

As I understand it, gravity knives have to lock open, so as long as it's a slipjoint there's no legal basis for calling them gravity knives.

We need to move away from bannink kinds of knife as a matter of urgency though.
Trying to solve the problem with bans is like washing the blood off your clothes to try and stop a gushing head-wound.

Except for 'ordinary household kitchen knives'

That's a direct quote from an eBay UK spokesmen following a Watchdog report into the sale of illegal knives on eBay.

So will this include tools and collectable legal knives...?

actually He said 'cutlery' which i take as the knifes and forks you eat with and assume kitchen sharps will be banned as well

ATB

Duncan

tipical tho the Sgt they took the knives they bought to THOUGHT all where illegal NOT all where definatly illegal :rolleyes: some looked like Assited open not flick and they only dwelled on the conceled pen knife and the sharp plastic one (are they illegal i assume so under concelable if so are plastic lettuce kifes also )

Cutlery can mean anything from the knife fork and spoon you use at the table, to citchen/cook's knives, filleting knives, and the likes, all the way to folding pocket knives, bushcraft knives and so on.

I don't believe the plastic knife would be illegal purely because it was plastic. If it was a plastic push knife it would be, but becase it was a push knife, not because it was a palstic one.
I'm not sure you mean by the concealed pen knife, if you mean it was a knife disguised as a pen then yes, that'd be illegal too.

Now a caveat.
Whether they are just out and out illegal, or just illegal to buy/sell/import/give (but allowed to be kept in collections) or just illegal to carry - I don't know.

JURA

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
devon
Perhaps we are all going to have to learn to accept that this country we live in isnt perfect.. its a lot better than most i can think of and if we cant buy knives on ebay... well.. it isnt the end of the world....lets not blow this out of proportion heh.. we probably all have more than one knife..and really..do we need more than one?...Really?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE