Early sulphur matches

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That is truly great. I would very much like to see a photo tutorial of the process :)

And the lighting process come to that,,,,,

Stunning - I'd rep you if I could

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I have enjoyed reading about this, it's been very educational. However I do have a question, and I know it's probably a silly one - but then I always seem to manage to ask those sort.. , anyway it's simply this, if I have an ember or slow match etc, why do I need a sulphur match? I don't get it really.. ?

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
If you want a flame from a very small ember you need to make the ember bigger then use a tinder bundle and blow it into a flame or you can simply use a sulphur match with the initial small ember.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
As far as I can tell from what I've read the sulphur match was just suped up tinder really, it made the whole process more reliable and faster, especially for those who didn't have access to good natural tinder or weren't particularly good at fire lighting (like me ;-{D) . You could have a candle or lamp lit in seconds rather than minutes

They used them for a couple of thousand years at least so there must have been enough benefits to merit the industry.

Good fun on a Sunday after noon anyway!

The next batch I make I'll get some one to take pics. So long as you take basic precautions it's very easy, Garden centres sell the sulphur powder but I got a small pack (4 oz) from http://www.gardenchemicals.co.uk

Cheers!

Tom

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I think I read somewhere (maybe even on here?) that it's used to quickly get a flame - to light a candle or lamp for example - without having to build a fire or light a whole tinder bundle to do it :dunno:

Candles and lamps is what I use them for mostly.

Try lighting one from a tinder bundle and you'll soon see the need.

Cheers guys, as I said it was a silly question.. :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE