Sulphur Matches

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
With the rain lashing down I turned the kitchen into Doctor Beakers Laboratory
beeker_zpslnjxtjzn.jpg~original
b8pe7r_zpsxvqg0oyf.gif~original

I cut points on the Spills
01_zpsn154wejm.jpg~original

then 1/2 filled a Pyrex test tube with Sulphur
02_zpsr2qvml3m.jpg~original

03_zpsfmksiuqq.jpg~original

there’s a wrap of PTFE tape on the tube so that the test tube holder holds it lower down to aid pouring, the trick to melting the Sulphur is use very gentle heat tilting it along the sides as well, but don’t get it hot as it will solidify and give off fumes.

04_zpsmx5r9t02.jpg~original

Don’t keep it in the flame ! bring it to one side with an occasional gentle reheat of the tube if it starts to set/thicken
Just dip the tip of a spill in and lay it down to cool going on to the next one, , when they’re all done start at the other end and do the other point
05_zpsjba7639d.jpg~original

06_zpsqjvjj6za.jpg~original

07_zpsmeegjyk6.jpg~original

08_zpsw54wvt5g.jpg~original

any excess can be poured into a silicone mould
09_zpszmfni1hw.jpg~original

The advantage of a Sulphur match is you don’t need a Tinder Bundle just touch it to a piece of glowing charcloth and it almost instantly lights with a pale blue flame. Great for lighting the house stove and candles
10_zpsjvmxtmr9.jpg~original

But Be Careful as it can drip burning Sulphur if you’ve put too much on !

If I’m going to light my pipe with one I chose one with only a little Sulphur on and wait while it’s burnt up leaving a burning spill then there’s no taste. I snap the used end off and use the other in my Tinder tin

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I wondered how you'd made those :D
They're very good :cool:

Folks, if Dan offers to trade any of these, they're well worth having :approve:

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE