Early signs of a chilly winter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Ok....

Given the sub forum exists under the category "bushcraft and survival skills" and is titled "for all things cold", I think it's perfectly reasonable to assume its for more than just trip reports and planning (out and about) or cold weather gear (kit chatter). But in fact for talking about bushcraft and survival techniques in cold weather?

To be honest life's too short to get het up about it and if a certain group do want it for only discussing "having fun in the ice and snow" then I suggest those people ask Tony to move it to the "Out and about" section and change the subtitle. But seriously is it worth it just because some of us don't relish the freezing temperatures quite as much as others?

Can't we all just get along? :cool:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Can't we all just get along? :cool:

I don't see any reason why not.

This sub forum was started to be a focus for a growing number of people that wanted to head out into colder conditions.

It is not surprising then that the prospect of colder weather might be relished by some as a chance to test out gear, ideas or techniques.

The challenges of cold conditions also brings other issues such as freezing Grannies and perhaps more to the point homeless people as well. I don't see why those issues cannot be brought up here too although a separate thread might be more appropriate.

However, there are certain individuals, and we all know who they are, that also enjoy stirring anything that looks like an argument just for the sake of their own enjoyment. If you've been sent off before a few times you might want to think about your motives before lurking around such arguments like flies around a pile of sugar.

The huge majority of people on this forum play nice so let's just chill out and do the same here.

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
Bring on the cooooooold! Nothing worse than a cool damp winter, nothing better than a freezing white one. Can't wait to test the legs of the Jeep and when that gives up get out walking.

If you were worried about the grannies or your selves you should have told them to get a down jacket in the summer sales.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I don't get to do expeditions in cold climes, but I do cycle to and from work, regardless of the weather.

So for some days that ends up being two hours each way through a blizzard of snow, over ice-covered roads. Yes, this does happen in Yorkshire.

So cold-weather kit and survival is of interest to me, although tbh the worst days are when it is hovering just below freezing and pouring with rain. Soaked and sub-zero is not fun.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
I don't get to do expeditions in cold climes, but I do cycle to and from work, regardless of the weather.

So for some days that ends up being two hours each way through a blizzard of snow, over ice-covered roads. Yes, this does happen in Yorkshire.

So cold-weather kit and survival is of interest to me, although tbh the worst days are when it is hovering just below freezing and pouring with rain. Soaked and sub-zero is not fun.

Indeed, thats killer weather.

Living where I do we get a lot of that type of weather. As the big atlantic fronts roll in (or would do if the weather was normal and we weren't experiencing a period of jet stream declination, which is a normal cyclical phenomenon in it's self) we experience an alternating cycle of temperate to polar maritime weather as the fronts roll passed.

That means the temperature alternates, here at sea level, from + 2 or 3, to -2 or 3, high winds starting in the south west veering to the north, so wind driven rain sleet then snow over the course of a couple of days, then a period of cold crisp weather or not; until the next front arrives and the wind backs into the south west and the whole process starts again. It's this weather, continual thaw freeze cycle, that makes the scottish mountains good for ice climbing.

Being out in it is the difficult part, +1ºC, 60 knots of wind with driving rain and sleet. Many days I spent out in conditions like that, years of it in fact and for me thats the worst type of cold, it's not surprising that so many people die in that type of weather. It saps the heat slowly and steadily in the most insidious way and no matter what you wear you get soaked through and chilled to the bone, by the end of the day. I prefer the very cold & dry conditions we get on occasion.

I like winter, I'm born on winters day ;), but the reality of winter here in this part of the UK is that it's long wet cold and dark.

carabao

Forager
Oct 16, 2011
hove
I look forward to cold weather because I'm an anti social grumpy git and the rain, biting cold winds and white stuff clears the South Downs nicely, thank you very much. The hound and I meet only other miserable anti social sods, who just nod heads and on we go

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
The salty slush is pretty horrible.
I'm like carabao tho'; I welcome the really bad snow and ice because it clears the roads of cars.

My approach to salty slush used to be using cycling sandals, wool socks and neoprene overboots. Worked on the basis of letting water drain out, the wool retaining some insulation values when wet and the neoprene preventing continual resoaking with below-zero water.

Allybally

Forager
Feb 23, 2006
Glasgow
Here is a wee example of trad meets tech...
2010-12-20+12.30.11.jpg

Glynn on the right is wearing last seasons tweed with haute couture greeny thing to keep the ears toasty and Ian on the left is just in his usual winter work wear.
this is at Loch Luichart -18oc.. and as you can see Mr Tesco has looked after all our survival needs
Here's me..
2010-12-20+13.03.01.jpg

And here's the vista...
2010-12-20+14.38.21.jpg

Its a hard life... Bring on the SUB ZERO....

Last edited:

Allybally

Forager
Feb 23, 2006
Glasgow
What vehicle is that, allybally?
Its a Polaris Ranger with its winter tyres.. We tried the Argo and the Scottrac on that job and failed, so the estate gave us the Polaris and believe me, it WILL get you there. bit of a bitch to steer on the transverse slope though
2010-12-20+10.29.22.jpg

the tracks are independent and fully articulated.

MrHare

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2012
Skipton,Yorkshire

Something like this?

snowycommute.jpg

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
It is a rare day when the roads are that covered in snow.

On a good day they are like this:

snow4.JPG

That was a very good day. Dry snow compacted down hard and smooth, cold enough that hardly anyone ventured out.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
No badges here!!!

I didnt get out for a single night over this wonderful summer we have had!!

Looking forward to the winter, trip to norway, getting my first snow shoes and pulk and generally enjoying the fire on a very cold night!!!

Oh, and if there is a clique can I join? Pretty please?

Great thread Paul, I very much looking forward to accompanying you on some trips this winter!!!

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
We love going out looking for good snow and getting out in it for a bimble...

9405136140_c83212e994.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Youngest daughter looking "cool" :rolleyes:

And SWMBO

9402388567_fb045918d9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Trying to get some good photo's of the white stuff...

Decided against the drive along the track as the water below looked uninviting had the beast slipped off...

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
I live in a country that apparently takes little interest in the well being of its citizens, although supposedly it listens in on phone conversations. But I also live in a part of the country that lies almost precisely on the dividing lines between speech patterns, weather patterns, growth patterns of the flora and as such, has a little bit of everything, most of which has to struggle for part of the year (except for speech). That means we sometimes have fairly harsh winters for the south and near tropical summers for the north. Some winters have been memorable.

I live just outside Washington, D.C., which is where we send a lot of incredibly selfish, idiotic politicians. They do not run the country; it's running very nicely at the moment on its own. But I digress. To get to Washington from where I live, you cross the Potomac River. Once in the 40 years I've lived here, it has frozen over. In fact, frozen so thick that a few people dared to walk across on the ice. That was exceptional. But we get a heavy snow (meaning over, say, a foot, or about 30 cm if you prefer) maybe once every six or eight years. Two or three years ago, we got two such snows about two weeks apart but that was also exceptional. A lot of fun, too.

I have my own semi-private woods where the deer, beaver, foxes, and groundhogs live. I'm out there every weekend, mainly just to see what I might see and it's been an especially great place to visit when the snow is on the ground, but just as much because the mud is frozen. I don't think I've read any mention of snowshoes here yet (haven't looked, either) but I have been out when they would have been handy. Otherwise, I discovered that one just flounders in deep snow. Don't know what this winter will be like.

But sub-zero? Rare here abouts, even when there's lots of snow. I will say, however, that one does begin to notice the temperature when it drops below about 20 degrees F. So does the car. My wife notices it at much higher temperatures.

As the cover of last year's Fjallraven catalog said: Cold at last. Say, is there a thread here somewhere about Roman orgies?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Nothing like waking up to new snow in the woods :) Love wrapping up warm and heading up a hill for the clear views.
What i dont like is shelling out an ever increasing fortune to heat the house. Add on another 10% this year....

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
One writer said there is something nice about snowshoeing down a path among the birch trees just as it's getting dark, heading for a warm and snug cabin. But I have to take his word for it.

Personally, the weather seems to make little difference to me. I'm only allowed out to go to work (which means I'll work 'til I die) and I've never had any problems with my little cars no matter what the roads are like, only I don't have to go in if the place shuts down because of the weather. But provided the roof isn't leaking, there's no water in the basement, and the pipes don't freeze, I'm happy and contents. My wife, on the other hand, finds fault with the weather no matter what it is.

Some of my most memorable outings have been when it snowed unexpectedly or when there was still snow on the ground late in the season. In fact, last spring, we made a trip to Shenandoah National Park to spend a couple of nights in one of their nice lodges on their first weekend open for the year. There was still a foot of snow on the ground in places. I loved it; my wife not so much.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE