Break out the winter woolies .......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody

Forager
Worst winter for decades: Record-breaking snow predicted for November

BRITAIN is braced for the "worst winter in decades" with the first major snowfall expected in weeks.

Published: Sat, October 12, 2013

snow-436170.jpg
Snow last year caused havoc on Britain's roads [GETTY]
Forecasters last night warned the entire country is set for a horror freeze which will bring brutal winds and fierce blizzards.
Temperatures have already started to plunge as a swathe of cold air from the Arctic has swept across the UK in the past few days.
The first long-range forecasts warn of "recordbreaking snowfall" next month.
Heavy wintry showers are expected to cause widespread chaos with below-average temperatures possibly lingering until February.
Long-range forecasters blamed the position of a fast-flowing band of air known as the jet stream near to Britain and high pressure for the extreme conditions. Jonathan Powell, forecaster for Vantage Weather Services, said: 'We are looking at a potentially paralysing winter, the worst for decades, which could at times grind the nation to a halt.
'Persistent cold snaps with some very heavy snowfall are likely, and I would not be surprised if some records are not broken this year.
'The main issue will be the extreme cold which is showing signs of really bedding in, thanks to freezing winds from the north."
He blamed the 'poorly positioned" jet stream which is expected to be 'blocked" south of the UK, allowing a continual flow of freezing Arctic air.
James Madden, forecaster for Exacta Weather, said it was likely to be the worst winter for more than 100 years.
He said: 'A horror winter scenario is likely to bring another big freeze with copious snow for many parts.
'There is also a high risk that we will experience a scenario similar to December 2010 or much worse at times, especially in January.
'This is likely to produce major disruption to public transport and school closures on a prolific scale."
He went on: 'The cold theme from the latter part of October is likely to continue into November - and for the vast majority of the month.
'November could turn out to be a record-breaking month. There is the potential for some significant falls of snow. The northern half is likely to experience the worst conditions.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
[h=3]UK Outlook for Sunday 27 Oct 2013 to Sunday 10 Nov 2013:[/h]The unsettled weather expected by late October is considered more likely than not to persist through the rest of the month onwards into the first week of November, leading to slightly above average rainfall amounts for some regions. Temperatures during this period may well remain close to or a little above average throughout, especially in the south, leading to a lower risk of frost here than can usually be expected at this time of year. There are some indications that the second week of November may see drier than average conditions across some parts of the country with temperatures probably returning to average

Mind you - that's just the met office forecast - what do they know? (In reality - not much - long range forecasting is another word for guessing)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Seasoned? 8 or 9. Takes a bit of effort of course which puts many folk off.

Our last neighbour on "central heating" bit the bullet last week and built a log shed. I taught him to use a chainsaw last week - sharpening is next week!

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I do have half a brain(almost), fixed tariff for leccy, and a built up summer reserve of anthricite to see me through.I just love the way power companies up there prices all the time it fills me with joy,so much that i cant help but say it in writing.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I only have two cords, but with this glazing ill no need as much as usual!

Our theory goes like this....

Cut two years per year.

We have done that for four years now...hence having so much "put back". We don't see fuel getting any cheaper any time soon. Our only problem is getting to be somewhere to store it!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I do have half a brain(almost), fixed tariff for leccy, and a built up summer reserve of anthricite to see me through.I just love the way power companies up there prices all the time it fills me with joy,so much that i cant help but say it in writing.

The laws of supply and demand haven't changed much lately. Coal has always been cheaper in the Summer - well in the forty plus years I have bought it. Sometimes its really cheap - so wise people "put back" two or thee years worth.

I guess if people really don't like the way energy companies work, they can always stop buying from them! Indeed many of my neighbours now are net energy exporters - the deals have been there for years after all!

If you don't like the way energy generators work - generate your own

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
........airconditioning doesn't really feature in our lives. Most of us just thole the heat for the fortnight or so that it's uncomfortable.

I don't think it's going to get all that cold so soon.

We'll see.

We could have a poll on a White Christmas or Hogmanay though :D

cheers,
M

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
........airconditioning doesn't really feature in our lives. Most of us just thole the heat for the fortnight or so that it's uncomfortable......

LOL. I know Mary. Just making a point (albeit a bit sarcastically) that the double glazing only serves to slow down heat transfer; doesn't really matter if the heat is going out or coming in. And TBH if you've no ac then likely the windows will be opened and the glazing would be irrelevant.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE