Early signs of a chilly winter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'll take a fence view and although I used to be a winter warrior hanging off of ice axes and crampons covered in ice and being sandblasted by wind driven spindrift, my health now make a fierce winter a bit harder to deal with these days.

Still prefer winter to summer though. And with the new electronics now fitted will hopefully cope better in the winter. That good one 3-4 years ago was superb. We were -20 for a week here in our village and cut off for a while. But the community feel was great, folks dug out the old folks and made sure they were OK, when the shop ran out of stuff folk pooled there resources and my dry goods store got a battering - was baking bread for everyone. Also as soon as we realised that we weren't getting out to work and that everyone was OK the parties started at 10 am. In fact bread and booze were what the shop sold out of first.

So I'd say though there are hardships it did make an already fairly cohesive village feel much closer to each other.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
well perhaps as the original article is out of date a mod could close this thread.

who'd have thought looking forward to winter would have such huge moral implications.

Never ceases to amaze me how threads can get flipped into such strange tangents on this forum.

Don't worry about it, everyone has an opinion and generally this thread is people looking forward to playing in the snow, I know I am :D

We've had a great summer and if we had a good cold, snowy winter it would be lie reliving childhood :D

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Tell you though, we have so much fruit that I'm fed up making jam, jelly, syrups, crumble and pie mixes. If we don't get a really hard Winter, we'll come out of it looking like wee fat dormice :eek:

If we don't get a really hard Winter, you can be out every day walking/running off your jams and pies.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
This winter'll probably be more about projects and bimbles than outings and adventures :eek:

:D
... If we don't get a really hard Winter, we'll come out of it looking like wee fat dormice :eek:

Reminded me of ...

[video=youtube;yltlJEdSAHw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yltlJEdSAHw[/video]

:D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If we don't get a really hard Winter, you can be out every day walking/running off your jams and pies.

I have rheumatoid arthritis. I am one of the very lucky ones in that my joints still heal once the inflamation settles down, but running is not happening.
Walking I can do :) but the icy damp cold of a Winter with overcast skies is my idea of hell. Hard cold, that's bright with reflected light, is a delight in the short days :)

cheers,
Toddy

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Why does everyone want winter to come? We just had a dreadful winter. Personally I'm not a fan of winter as I have a circulation problem and I get rather cold even in the summer months. I hate to see the leaves go... Here in Scotland we get about 2 weeks of warmth and then for the rest of the year it's miserable. It's not even Autumn yet and people are begging for winter? Is it just me or does it feel like the only season in Scotland is winter? I mean it feels like it was just winter a few days ago =P

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Eh ? I'm wearing a sleeveless blouse, and I've been out working in the garden like this too. It's been a scorcher of a Summer, my garden has grown like a jungle :D Spring came in beautiful, got kind of dampish (filled the reservoirs :) no water shortages) and warmed up into enough sunshine and heat in Summer that we were moaning it was too blooming hot.
The air has changed, we can all feel Autumn has started :) and we're enjoying it. Everything from the hustle of the last harvests and tidy ups to making things weather proof and sound.
Winter's coming, but it's no' here yet :cool:

Time enough to be wrapping up. :hatscarf: :campfire: :D

cheers,
Toddy

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Eh ? I'm wearing a 200g WP and sweating like a pig that's just been asked to hold an apple :D

If Woden Wills It , then it will be so

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Eh ? I'm wearing a sleeveless blouse, and I've been out working in the garden like this too. It's been a scorcher of a Summer, my garden has grown like a jungle :D Spring came in beautiful, got kind of dampish (filled the reservoirs :) no water shortages) and warmed up into enough sunshine and heat in Summer that we were moaning it was too blooming hot.
The air has changed, we can all feel Autumn has started :) and we're enjoying it. Everything from the hustle of the last harvests and tidy ups to making things weather proof and sound.
Winter's coming, but it's no' here yet :cool:

Time enough to be wrapping up. :hatscarf: :campfire: :D

cheers,
Toddy
Maybe in England ;) It was short lived in Scotland... As always.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Mike you are quite right and opinions on the merits of enjoying the cold or otherwise are to be expected. I just found it strange that a line was drawn from sub zero fun to pensioners dying in the cold and the profitability of energy companies. Id imagine that more old people die from heat exhaustion caused by hot summers but nobody seems to have an issue with going to the beach for summer fun without first looking in on granny.

There are many things in this country that are not nice an we all wish were different but i reckon that conversation would end up in a political discussion about governments responsibility to its citizens.

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
There are many things in this country that are not nice an we all wish were different but i reckon that conversation would end up in a political discussion about governments responsibility to its citizens.

Well I vote for a snowy Winter. That's not a political statement as it's not on any party's manifesto.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Love cold winters.
Happy to keep an eye on those of my elderly niegbours who don't.
Sub-Zero forum, lets talk sub-zero!
I thing I have noticed about getting older is that I do feel the cold more than I did, just makes me take more notice of what I am wearing, the fabrics I use
And how I heat my self via my food as fuel.

C.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE