dying a norwegian sack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
appologies if this has been posted before, I did search honest :rolleyes:

just aquired one of these

114624_web36550.jpg

and am torn between leaving the leather its original colour, or dying it brown. Does anybody have any before/afetr pics of doing this. I have dyed small bits of leather in the past, but only the fornt smooth grain, will the back rought grain take a dye well ? (excuse my ignorance in the technical terms) thanks

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I can understand you wanting to change the colour, white leather isn't my favourite. Yes any part of leather will take dye unless it's been treated, wax, oil etc......be careful not to get it onto the pack, it will never come off.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Id leave it alone would be alot of hassle and could be messy if you get it on the pack as blacktimberwolf said,the leather on mine is grey not white,i did remove the shoulder strap's though and replace them with Brit gs bergen strap's alot more comfortable and adjustable and i added extra padding to the back pad.I used lundhag wax on the leather on mine to make it abit more flexible and water repellent.

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
thanks for the quick replies, andy your right, the straps are more grey than white and i actually quite like the look of the sack as it is that's why i got it, but could also imagine what it would look like if it got dirty, i was thinking brown straps wouldn't show the dirt as much. I've got some neatsfoot oil here that I have never used, could this be used to treat new leather, i think i read somewhere that it can add water resistant properties also. would you have any pics of the straps and extra padding you fitted.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE